BNLA Series, more 999 Yen reissues from EMI Japan

Daniel A

Dusty Groove is only carrying some of these, and not a very many some. The bastards.

But I ordered the Marlena from CD Japan & paid for EMS. It got here in less than a week. The shipping (1200 yen) cost more than the CD (951 yen), but it's hard to argue with the speed.

Them joneses ain't free.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ordered the Hutcherson Live at Montreux from a Japanese seller on eBay, came out to $19.80 total, now that Amazon on demand CDR copy will be backup. Will be nice to have a legit factory pressed copy. I went to Dusty Groove to try to get it but it was sold out, not a surprise. They have the Ronnie Foster and Bobbi Humphrey Montreux titles but those aren't worth getting to me, I sampled a tune from each on youtube a while back, and they didn't really grab me.

Edited by CJ Shearn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Havn't heard of the Wayne Shorter "Without A Net" Blue Note - priced at three times that of the other BN releases - is it a compilation?

New release. Details according to Google translator :P :

Wayne Shorter has returned to Blue Note Records. Work from the same label as the leader of the release will be the first time in 43 years the "Without A Net". The quartet is led by Danilo Perez (piano), John Patito~utchi (bass), Brian Blade called (drum), familiar.

"Was one of the most outstanding musicians of our time is proud composer Wayne Shorter is" I Don Was is the president of Blue Note Records said. At the age of 80 ", the powerful but its reached a peak, you can be greeted by Blue Note Records Wayne for the first time in years. 43 bands deserve to be called the highest among his career is supporting it As the idea, but it's a romantic lies in refusing obstinately to be drowning in nostalgia that. fact, "Without A Net" Index was also E be a board must listen so much, enduring attraction of his advancing constantly It's because there is such a strong determination Shorter himself wants to continue. "

Shorter is described in this way, the musical journey of discovery that they seek always thought himself. I challenge that you create a "Schwarzschild radius", "specificity. That it is repeated," How now, artists we have to face, "cycle behavior the ego to the right and left, to tie up human beings because , they closed the entrance of life named the ultimate adventure.'s why, man I must We need to break the cycle. "

"Without A Net" is a roller coaster of music by all 9 tracks on this disc with a focus on the live recording from the Wayne Shorter Quartet European Tour in late 2011. Poem only "Pegasus" by the sound of 23 minutes is something that earlier was recorded welcomed the Imani Winds in Los Angeles, Walt Disney Concert Hall. "Orbitz" It's new songs from the pen of his Shorter 6 songs in the Track songs Movies 2 Shorter "Plaza Real" and (album "Miles Smiles" Miles Davis) that (included Weather Report "Pro Sessions") has been transformed into a new version. The title track is taken from the "era air Revue" musical film of 1933, as his first film co-starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, will be familiar to through movies like Shorter.

Without a net and the meaning is that, without a safety net. I seem to have caught on film aerial scenes Revue. (From Label Info)

I'm surprised that they didn't add the two Blue Mitchell dates that were excluded from the Mosaic box, "Collision in Black" & "Bantu Village".

They were recorded earlier than this series, they're from the Liberty Era, not the UA era.

It is worth mentioning, for those who weren't aware of it, that Bantu Village was reissued on CD in 2011 on a label called Soul Brother. It says on the back that it is an "authorised reissue".

Bantu Village CD on Amazon UK

Re: Blue Mitchell - I noted that also 'Step Lightly' was excluded from the LT series reissues.

I think that is because Step Lightly had a catalogue number in the original 4XXX series (although it didn't make it to actual release at the time). The Japanese have therefore previously reissued it on CD in their BN Works series, associated with that catalogue number (TOCJ-4142).

This is the New Blue Note that the Newer Blue Note didn't want you to think of as Blue Note.

And now, it's baaaaaaacccckkkkkk!!!!!

Yes. :) I never thought we would see the 70s Blue Note logo on any releases again (other than as part of original cover art), but here it is. It is certainly not bad in itself. It is just that it has become associated with everything that went wrong with BN in the 70s.

1172842.jpg

Received the Hutcherson today and it sounds really good, not fatiguing or anything. I haven't compared the sound to the Amazon CDR version, but it does restore the spoken introduction I would assume is on the original LP.

That's interesting! I wonder if they then also have restored the spoken introductions on Grant Green's Live At The Lighthouse. All but one were removed on the 1998 CD, but since it only is 71 minutes, there would certainly be room for more of them.

I notice that the first Marlena BN (just titled Marlena) is not being included, which is no great loss, imo.

That is because it was one of the last entries in the 4XXX series - which is not covered. Perhaps there will be a further series mopping up the remaining 4XXX titles that have not seen CD release (one can hope). There is for example Bobbi Humphrey's initial album with Lee Morgan and Billy Harper, which, while not great, at least is better than anything that came out under her name afterwards.

After the LT series, now we have the BNLA series; 50 reissues coming up in November 2012-January 2013 covering the last period of the "old" Blue Note. The price is 999 Yen (~10 EUR/13 USD/8 GBP). I'm no expert, but it would appear that some of these have not been reissued on CD before, or in any case they are not widely available anyway.

Cat.numbers TOCJ-50501 to TOCJ-50520 will be released on Nov 21, TOCJ-50521 to TOCJ-50535 on Dec 19, TOCJ-50536 to TOCJ 50550 on Jan 23 2013.

The titles are:

Alphonse Mouzon - Funky Snakefoot [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50525

Alphonse Mouzon - Mind Transplant [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50542

Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks And Blues [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50524

Bobbi Humphrey - St Live At Montreux [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50509

Bobby Hutcherson - Cirrus [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50539

Bobby Hutcherson - Linger Lane [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50527

Bobby Hutcherson - Montara [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50529

Bobby Hutcherson - St Live At Montreux [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50506

Carmen Mcrae - Can't Hide Love [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50516

Carmen Mcrae - I Am Music [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50543

Chico Hamilton - Peregrinations [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50544

Donald Byrd - Black Byrd [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50504

Donald Byrd - Caricatures [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50532

Donald Byrd - Places & Spaces [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50545

Donald Byrd - Street Lady [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50523

Duke Pearson - It Could Only Happen With You [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50526

Earl Klugh - Earl Klugh [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50514

Earl Klugh - Finger Paintings [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50535

Earl Klugh - Living Inside Your Love [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50517

Elvin Jones - St Live At The Lighthouse Vol.1 [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50536

Elvin Jones - St Live At The Lighthouse Vol.2 [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50537

Gene Harris - Astral Signal [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50511

Gene Harris - Tone Tantrum [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50550

Grant Green - St Live At The Lighthouse [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50503

Horace Silver - In Pursuit Of The 27Th Man [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50505

Horace Silver - Silver 'N Brass [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50528

Horace Silver - Silver 'N Strings Play The Music Of Spheres [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50520

Horace Silver - Silver 'N Voices [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50547

Horace Silver - Silver 'N Wood [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50530

John Lee & Jerry Brown - Still Can't Say Enough [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50546

Lou Donaldson - Sophisticated Lou [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50502

Lou Donaldson - Sweet Lou [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50540

Marlena Shaw - From The Depths Of My Soul [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50538

Marlena Shaw - Just A Matter Of Time [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50531

Marlena Shaw - St Live At Montreux [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50508

Marlena Shaw - Who Is This Bitch Anyway [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50512

Maxi Anderson - Maxi [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50549

Mccoy Tyner - Extensions [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50521

Moacir Santos - Carnival Of The Sprits [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50513

Moacir Santos - Maestro [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50522

Moacir Santos - Saudade [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50510

Noel Pointer - Phantazia [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50519

Ronnie Foster - On The Avenue [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50541

Ronnie Foster - St Live At Montreux [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50507

Ronnie Laws - Fever [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50515

Ronnie Laws - Friends & Strangers [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50548

V.A. - Blue Note Live At The Roxy Vol.1 [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50533

V.A. - Blue Note Live At The Roxy Vol.2 [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50534

Wayne Shorter - Moto Grosso Feio [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50501

Willie Bobo - Tomorrow Is Here [Japan LTD CD] TOCJ-50518

Link to EMI Japan: http://www.emimusic....news/?rssno=265

So to add the new titles:

February 20 release date:

Alphonse Mouzon - The Man Incognito

Barbara Carroll - Barbara Carroll

Blue Note Meets The L.A.Philharmonic

Bobbi Humphrey - Satin Doll

Bobby Hutcherson - Knucklebean

Carmen Mcrae - Carmen Mcrae At The Great American Music Hall

Chico Hamilton - Chico Hamilton And The Players

Eddie Henderson - Sunburst

Elvin Jones - Mr. Jones

Gene Harris - In A Special Way

Horace Silver - Silver `n Percussion

Ronnie Foster - Cheshire Cat

Ronnie Laws - Pressure Sensitive

March 20 release date:

Alphonse Mouzon - The Essence Of Mistery

Bobby Humphrey - Fancy Dancer

Bobby Hutcherson - The View From The Inside

Bobby Hutcherson - Waiting

Dom Minasi - I Have The Feeling I've Been Here Before

Dom Minasi - When Joanna Loved Me

Donald Byrd - Stepping Into Tomorrow

Eddie Henderson - Heritage

Gene Harris - Nexus

Gene Harris - Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow

John Lee / Jerry Brown - Mango Sunrise

Lou Donaldson - Sassy Soul Strut

McCoy Tyner - Asante

Ronnie Foster - Sweet Revival

Edited by Eric

Yes. :) I never thought we would see the 70s Blue Note logo on any releases again (other than as part of original cover art), but here it is. It is certainly not bad in itself. It is just that it has become associated with everything that went wrong with BN in the 70s.

1172842.jpg

Case in point - I was playing a vinyl of this vintage of 'Time For Tyner' yesterday, Transamerica Corp. blue Label. Great LP and music but the pressing absolutely sucked !

1172842.jpg

Case in point - I was playing a vinyl of this vintage of 'Time For Tyner' yesterday, Transamerica Corp. blue Label. Great LP and music but the pressing absolutely sucked !

Is that the one where one side is a Van Gelder cut and the other isn't? I agree that one it isn't the best. However, it seems to be an exception. In general, I've had good luck with these pressings when they have Van Gelder in the deadwax. Not so much luck when they don't.

I will get the Elvin Lighthouse dates from the next batch. Was thinking of "BN Live at the Roxy" just because it is so bad. Couldn't tell you about the GG "Live at the Lighthouse" omissions though. What does seem strange is shouldn't releases like Hutcherson Live at Montreux have the label design like above instead of a white "b"?

I notice that the first Marlena BN (just titled Marlena) is not being included, which is no great loss, imo.

That is because it was one of the last entries in the 4XXX series - which is not covered. Perhaps there will be a further series mopping up the remaining 4XXX titles that have not seen CD release (one can hope). There is for example Bobbi Humphrey's initial album with Lee Morgan and Billy Harper, which, while not great, at least is better than anything that came out under her name afterwards.

I've heard stories somewhere she never really improvised which I find hard to believe. After hearing "Sugar" from "Live at Montreux" (tested the album on YT) and while that did not much for me at all, I found it better than the more famous Mizell discs. When you are in the company of Morgan and Billy Harper, you *have* to play, so I would think that early disc led to promise unfulfilled.

The two Chico Hamilton albums might be worth somebody's while...there's not a lot of "serious jazz improvisation" on them, but there is a little, and they both groove like hell from start to finish.

I picked up the Barbara Carroll side out of the cheapo LP bins a few years ago thinking it might be something, but it wasn't. Unless bland and boring lounge piano is something...and I guess it is...

Don't go expecting the Dom Minasi albums to resemble the type of work he's now/better known for. I really don't understand why htese records got made.

Ronnie Laws' Pressure Sensitive is a "classic of the genre", but I'd think that most who would really care would already have it.

The two Eddie Hendersons are nice enough, but they pale quite a bit in comparison to the two Capricorn albums that preceded them.

And I'd think that all who care would know by now that Knucklebean is a very, very good album, which went all but unnoticed at the time of its release.

Agreed with the above on the Hutcherson's. The Hutcherson Select is well worth having, he was about the only one doing anything consistenlty interesting on the label during that period. I like the Henderson's well enough and do own them.. And I own and enjoy the Ronnie Laws as I've always loved the title track, even though the whole album on paper wreaks of why I hated Blue Note at the time. I'm not a fan of the Chico Hamilton's, though I know many others here are. Good to see some of those Elvin Jones titles coming out on CD - he stayed interesting throughout his stay at Blue Note, though the albums were basically ignored. The McCoy Tyner title is pretty great, and a chance to hear Andrew White in a featured role.

It is pretty "commercial" and stuff, but done pretty well, so I don't know if "pretty awful" is necessarily accurate...I mean, as far as "that kind of record" goes, it's actually pretty good. Bobby Hutcherson sounds good no matter what, in my experience.

Now, if you don't like "that kind of record", then this won't even begin to change your mind. But compared to, say, some of those World Pacific pop-jazz sides by Joe Pass, Bud Shank, Chet Baker, et al. Linger Lane is a freakin' treat! :rolleyes:

Linger Lane is not on the Select, and is not a favorite, but it was the exception rather than the rule to Hutcherson's output of that period and, as Jim says, isn't that bad. And you can't mess up "People Make The World Go Round" unless you try really hard. Natural Illusions is the other, worser Hutcherson dog from that period. Montara is actually good, even though it looks utterly commercial on the surface.