BFT #103 Discussion thread

colinmce

Have at it! I hope you all find something to enjoy on this one.

LOTS to enjoy here. :)

Here are my thoughts & guesses...

1 - Beautiful, beautiful...oh man. What a great vibe this tune has. Love the sax player. That piano solo is exquisite. Who is that?? This is an epic track...everyone is on the same planet here (and it's not necessarily earth). I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that maybe this is one of Frank Wright's groups, even though I'm not super familiar with him. Whatever this is, I love it and need it! Wow!

2 - Ah, I know this one...Jason Adasiewicz, from his new album. with Nate McBride on bass and Mike Reed on drums. I just saw these guys at the Hyde Park Jazz Fest in Chicago on Saturday. Honestly, this SHOULD be right up my alley but I personally have a hard time warming to these guys. Too much thinking and not enough soul for me. But I know lots of people are digging these guys right now so I guess it's just me.

3 - Terrific ensemble playing on this track. Not totally crazy about the tune, but the playing is pretty stellar. I like the drummer especially. No clue who this is.

4 - This sounds very familiar to me...hmmm. I feel like I've heard this somewhere but I can't place it. I like the mood of the piece a whole lot, and love the way it builds. These guys (and/or gals) clearly play together a lot. I'm hearing something reminiscent of Chris Speed, to my ears. Is that Jim Black on drums? Nice track.

5 - I should know this one too. Good stuff...one of those things that has deep roots but reaches far. I really like the feel and sound here...the plunged trumpet, clarinet, and that great, driving riff in the piano. You can hear the Mingus influence big-time. Boy, I really feel like I've heard this before. Dying to know what it is!

6 - Neat tune, cool feel. No guesses on this one though. I dig the trumpet player especially, nice sound. Is that a valve trombone?

7 - "Afro Blue" is the tune, of course. Hmmm...I WANT to like this one, but something is bothering me...the feel is really weird, like the bass player and drummer aren't really on the same page. This is meant to sound like Tyner and Hutcherson, but it can't be, can it? I am oddly stumped on this one.

8 - "Blue Monk"...now this is a different rendition, slightly drunk-sounding at the beginning (in a good way)! Very interesting. I have no idea who this is...in fact, it doesn't sound like anyone I've ever heard before. Curious now!

9 - Interesting performance. Had to give this one a second listen because I was so focused on the bass and drums the first time. At times they sound like they are channeling Richard Davis and Tony Williams on Dolphy's Out To Lunch. I like how this track is so rhythmically free...it has a great 'swirling' quality to it. I also like those growling tones that the trombone player gets. No guesses on this one though.

10 - Oh man, I know this tune...! Isn't this Roscoe Mitchell? Yes. I don't think this is the recording I'm familiar with though. Okay, this is driving me kinda nuts... Anyway, it's great!

11 - I like this but it's not 100% my bag. The coolest moment for me was where the piano and bass settled into a little groove just before the soprano came in and held that long note. But for me I think it needed more moments like that. Some nice interplay, but I wish it had a little more direction. No idea on the players.

12 - This one feels like a prayer...very deep, moving intro with some powerful trumpet playing. The piano solo is very nice, I like the way he/she takes an idea and expands on it. LOVE the trumpet player, what a sound! No guesses again, but am anxious to learn who this is.

13 - Definitely "Out Of This World"! I was sort of on the fence about the vocalist from the beginning, but I think overall I like it...very interesting performance, and the mood is right on.

14 - Okay, I think this is a Braxton tune...from New York, Fall 1974, right? Never heard this version though. I love the way this tune keeps building on itself, extending itself. This must be a real bitch to play.

This was really great-- awesome selection of tunes! Thanks for putting it together. I thoroughly enjoyed this. :tup

Getting in rather early this month (or it ain't happenin'!). I liked this one quite a bit. A lot of music right off the fringe of my regular listening path and though I nailed nothing, there's a lot I want to add to my collection!

Track 1 - Reminiscent of Trane's SELFLESSNESS once it gets going. Seems like it is shooting for that feel of either that or Ascension. I like this. The tenor's technique is a bit clunky, but the honesty cannot be denied. Some shades of Reverend Frank, but a guy coming more out of the tradition (in terms of tone) than that. Very dramatic and not something I'd just throw on, but something I'd like to add to my collection.

Track 2 - I'm so bad at vibes! It's not Walt, Bobby or Khan, so I'm somewhat at a loss. I dig the contrast between the very straight-forward swinging drums/bass and the angular vibes.

Track 3 - A little cross listening. Tenor sounds a bit more modern in terms of technique, but his tone has some nice shades of Johnny Griffin in it. No guesses. I liked this but not as much as the first two.

Track 4 - This is interesting but doesn't seem to have the bite of the first three tunes. Seems to be modern players playing in a classical-influenced style. Ivo Perelman? Seems less influenced by the Hebreic tradition than his stuff, but musically strikes a similar chord with me.

Track 5 - No idea what this is but love the feel. Almost a bit soundtrackish, but it's got a great feel. This would be really fun to see live (assuming the "sound engineer" didn't ruin it). That left-hand reminds me a bit of Horace Parlan, but it's someone newer than that, I think. Alto has some shades of Dudu or Sonny Criss, but it's neither. I couldn't ID a clarinet to save my life.

Track 6 - Very cool. No idea who, but there are certainly shades of DDBB.

Track 7 - At least I'll get one song title correct. ;) Somebody doing a pretty good McCoy impression. It's not quite the heavy hand of 60s McCoy, but not the light, tinkling sound he developed later. This is a respectful tribute to my ear. Maybe one of Warren Smith's projects?

Track 8 - Nice, bizarre take on Blue Monk. Not sure who it is.

Track 9 - No idea. I like the looseness of it and the fact that they're leaving lots of space while exploring their ideas.

Track 10 - I know it's not what I think it is, but it sounds a lot like Matt Langley to me. That would mean it was Charlie Kohlhase, but I'm positive that's not what it is. I love this, and must have it!

Track 11 - I liked the beginning of this but as it got going, it doesn't seem to really get it's feet. It has a Keith Jarrett quality to it, but not in a good way. It also sounds like an electronic keyboard and not a real piano. Actually listened all the way through before I realized I'd missed it. Completely ignored it, and I think that says something.

Track 12 - Instant love. Big, fat warm trumpet sound. Is this Dennis Gonzalez? This is gorgeous!

Track 13 - Love the song, hate so many of the versions. This one doesn't hit me in the right spot, but traditional vocals rarely do. This isn't so much traditional, but for the liberties in the arrangement, the singer isn't really adding much to the tune to my ear.

Track 14 - Loved the bass, but felt kind of let down when the piano came in. Bass had really set a mood and then the tune just doesn't go there. Somebody outside the realm of my listening. Seems rather studied.

Have at it! I hope you all find something to enjoy on this one.

LOTS to enjoy here. :)

Here are my thoughts & guesses...

1 - Beautiful, beautiful...oh man. What a great vibe this tune has. Love the sax player. That piano solo is exquisite. Who is that?? This is an epic track...everyone is on the same planet here (and it's not necessarily earth). I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that maybe this is one of Frank Wright's groups, even though I'm not super familiar with him. Whatever this is, I love it and need it! Wow!

Glad you enjoyed it. This is some very interesting stuff. Not Frank Wright.

2 - Ah, I know this one...Jason Adasiewicz, from his new album. with Nate McBride on bass and Mike Reed on drums. I just saw these guys at the Hyde Park Jazz Fest in Chicago on Saturday. Honestly, this SHOULD be right up my alley but I personally have a hard time warming to these guys. Too much thinking and not enough soul for me. But I know lots of people are digging these guys right now so I guess it's just me.

Correct. I understand your criticism completely, and I can hear that, too. But I enjoy it just the same; I'm never too put off by the thinking approach.

3 - Terrific ensemble playing on this track. Not totally crazy about the tune, but the playing is pretty stellar. I like the drummer especially. No clue who this is.

Again, glad to hear you liked it. You're right that this isn't much of a "tune", more just a sound exploration by a killer group, all of whom I'm sure you'll recognize.

4 - This sounds very familiar to me...hmmm. I feel like I've heard this somewhere but I can't place it. I like the mood of the piece a whole lot, and love the way it builds. These guys (and/or gals) clearly play together a lot. I'm hearing something reminiscent of Chris Speed, to my ears. Is that Jim Black on drums? Nice track.

Correct on Speed and Black ... not hard characters to miss, and I love both of their very individual styles. I don't know of anyone who gets as much breath on the tenor outside Pres and Stan Getz. Still waiting on a group ID, and the song, though ...

5 - I should know this one too. Good stuff...one of those things that has deep roots but reaches far. I really like the feel and sound here...the plunged trumpet, clarinet, and that great, driving riff in the piano. You can hear the Mingus influence big-time. Boy, I really feel like I've heard this before. Dying to know what it is!

Mingus is an interesting call here, I hadn't thought of that but hear it too. This is just such a cool, immediate performance, no? An all-star group at work ...

6 - Neat tune, cool feel. No guesses on this one though. I dig the trumpet player especially, nice sound. Is that a valve trombone?

7 - "Afro Blue" is the tune, of course. Hmmm...I WANT to like this one, but something is bothering me...the feel is really weird, like the bass player and drummer aren't really on the same page. This is meant to sound like Tyner and Hutcherson, but it can't be, can it? I am oddly stumped on this one.

Not Tyner and Hutch, no. And interestingly enough that pair didn't occur to me here. I can understand where you're coming form with the group

8 - "Blue Monk"...now this is a different rendition, slightly drunk-sounding at the beginning (in a good way)! Very interesting. I have no idea who this is...in fact, it doesn't sound like anyone I've ever heard before. Curious now!

Not the best known player around, but I'm sure you'll recognize him. And I highly recommend his work

9 - Interesting performance. Had to give this one a second listen because I was so focused on the bass and drums the first time. At times they sound like they are channeling Richard Davis and Tony Williams on Dolphy's Out To Lunch. I like how this track is so rhythmically free...it has a great 'swirling' quality to it. I also like those growling tones that the trombone player gets. No guesses on this one though.

Rhythmically free is kind of a big clue regarding one of the players ...

10 - Oh man, I know this tune...! Isn't this Roscoe Mitchell? Yes. I don't think this is the recording I'm familiar with though. Okay, this is driving me kinda nuts... Anyway, it's great!

Got the composer, but no it's not Roscoe playing

tr

11 - I like this but it's not 100% my bag. The coolest moment for me was where the piano and bass settled into a little groove just before the soprano came in and held that long note. But for me I think it needed more moments like that. Some nice interplay, but I wish it had a little more direction. No idea on the players.

All I will say is that I wanted to include this player on my BFT, but had a lot of trouble "excerpting" them.

12 - This one feels like a prayer...very deep, moving intro with some powerful trumpet playing. The piano solo is very nice, I like the way he/she takes an idea and expands on it. LOVE the trumpet player, what a sound! No guesses again, but am anxious to learn who this is.

13 - Definitely "Out Of This World"! I was sort of on the fence about the vocalist from the beginning, but I think overall I like it...very interesting performance, and the mood is right on.

Mood is the name of the game here ...

14 - Okay, I think this is a Braxton tune...from New York, Fall 1974, right? Never heard this version though. I love the way this tune keeps building on itself, extending itself. This must be a real bitch to play.

Braxton indeed, but again, yes, not him playing.

This was really great-- awesome selection of tunes! Thanks for putting it together. I thoroughly enjoyed this. :tup

Thanks!

Getting in rather early this month (or it ain't happenin'!). I liked this one quite a bit. A lot of music right off the fringe of my regular listening path and though I nailed nothing, there's a lot I want to add to my collection!

Track 1 - Reminiscent of Trane's SELFLESSNESS once it gets going. Seems like it is shooting for that feel of either that or Ascension. I like this. The tenor's technique is a bit clunky, but the honesty cannot be denied. Some shades of Reverend Frank, but a guy coming more out of the tradition (in terms of tone) than that. Very dramatic and not something I'd just throw on, but something I'd like to add to my collection.

Honesty over technique is definitely a defining quality of this record

Track 2 - I'm so bad at vibes! It's not Walt, Bobby or Khan, so I'm somewhat at a loss. I dig the contrast between the very straight-forward swinging drums/bass and the angular vibes.

Track 3 - A little cross listening. Tenor sounds a bit more modern in terms of technique, but his tone has some nice shades of Johnny Griffin in it. No guesses. I liked this but not as much as the first two.

Track 4 - This is interesting but doesn't seem to have the bite of the first three tunes. Seems to be modern players playing in a classical-influenced style. Ivo Perelman? Seems less influenced by the Hebreic tradition than his stuff, but musically strikes a similar chord with me.

Interesting that you hear this as Herebic, I hadn't thought of that. That very well may be the intention of the players, but I'm not sure. I'll get to where I hear it coming from at the reveal

Track 5 - No idea what this is but love the feel. Almost a bit soundtrackish, but it's got a great feel. This would be really fun to see live (assuming the "sound engineer" didn't ruin it). That left-hand reminds me a bit of Horace Parlan, but it's someone newer than that, I think. Alto has some shades of Dudu or Sonny Criss, but it's neither. I couldn't ID a clarinet to save my life.

Dudu isn't a bad guess, but no, it's neither him nor Criss.

Track 6 - Very cool. No idea who, but there are certainly shades of DDBB.

Shades for sure. I will say that this group updates the brass band sound for a different urban milieu

Track 7 - At least I'll get one song title correct. ;) Somebody doing a pretty good McCoy impression. It's not quite the heavy hand of 60s McCoy, but not the light, tinkling sound he developed later. This is a respectful tribute to my ear. Maybe one of Warren Smith's projects?

Not Warren Smith, no. Again, I never even thought of McCoy, though I obviously should have. Respectful is a fair place to leave it.

Track 8 - Nice, bizarre take on Blue Monk. Not sure who it is.

Kind of glad the first two listeners hear this as being out or bizarre. The player steps a bit outside, but has his conventional side

Track 9 - No idea. I like the looseness of it and the fact that they're leaving lots of space while exploring their ideas.

Again, looseness and space are keywords on this one ...

Track 10 - I know it's not what I think it is, but it sounds a lot like Matt Langley to me. That would mean it was Charlie Kohlhase, but I'm positive that's not what it is. I love this, and must have it!

Nope, neither of them. But this is a great group and I assure you that the album, as well as their others which, who knows, you might have heard, are fantastic

Track 11 - I liked the beginning of this but as it got going, it doesn't seem to really get it's feet. It has a Keith Jarrett quality to it, but not in a good way. It also sounds like an electronic keyboard and not a real piano. Actually listened all the way through before I realized I'd missed it. Completely ignored it, and I think that says something.

Another strike for this cut, I see. Again, this is a hard player to excerpt, and I did a possibly foolish thing by picking from a very disjointed (in a good, complicated way) album. I certainly hear where you're coming from with the piano. It is the real thing, however, and has the same sound I've heard from this player in other situations.

Track 12 - Instant love. Big, fat warm trumpet sound. Is this Dennis Gonzalez? This is gorgeous!

It is Dennis Gonzalez. Big, fat warm indeed. He's great

Track 13 - Love the song, hate so many of the versions. This one doesn't hit me in the right spot, but traditional vocals rarely do. This isn't so much traditional, but for the liberties in the arrangement, the singer isn't really adding much to the tune to my ear.

True, the singer is pretty trad. This is certainly representative of this album as a whole, but it's taken well as a whole.

Track 14 - Loved the bass, but felt kind of let down when the piano came in. Bass had really set a mood and then the tune just doesn't go there. Somebody outside the realm of my listening. Seems rather studied.

Studied is a term that gets bandied around a lot for this one ...

Glad you checked in. I always love reading your impressions of these

Track One sounds like Alice Coltrane to me. I am not familiar with any of her albums with this instrumentation though. The tenor sax player sounds like he really knows his Pharoah Sanders, and the trumpet player sounds like he studied Don Cherry. However, I do not think it is Pharoah and Don. This one has me stumped.

On Track Nine, is that George Lewis on trombone and Muhal Richard Abrams on piano?

Edited by Hot Ptah

Terrific BFT. A number of cuts sound like things I should know but it may be that I would just like to think my taste in music is as good as yours. I am not good at writing about what I hear. Most of the time I get by commenting only on the stuff I like, if you don't have anything good to say and all. I am going to be exposed here, however, because there isn't much I don't like.

The opening track is sort of odd (for lack of a better word) in that the trumpet intro just drops out of sight and the end sounds to me like it cuts off in mind stream also. Is this part of a longer piece? I especially like the contribution from the trumpet, percussion and piano.

The vibes player on track 02 is my favorite of the “younger” guys. I'm pretty sure it's Jason Adasiewicz, if not these comments will be pretty stupid. This is a nice cut and I really like his style but mostly I think he is more adventurous when he plays with the larger groups.

Track 03 in style sounds like a lot of things I've heard so I right away started going through possible suspects. Then I came to my senses and just enjoyed the music. The horns really compliment each other and the drummer has a nice solo.

Not sure what to say about track 05 except that I like it. Again the horn players really work well together.

Surprise, 06 is another winner for me. Kind of similar in tempo to the previous track. Another nice ensemble track also. For some reason I'm feeling Italian.

Track 07 isn't really my favorite but the vibes player is pretty good. Joe Locke comes to mind.

Neat take on track 08 of a well know tune, I think. Monk? I am bothered because I know the tune but can't think of it. Kind of like seeing Rod Steiger in a movie on TV the other day, knowing who he was, knowing he won the Oscar for In The Heat Of The Night but being able to remember his name. My doctor says this is the normal aging process but I don't like it.

Track 09, another winner for me. The piano gets a lot of room and has a real nice solo but I'll guess it's the trombone player's album. Kind of reminds me of a subdued Ray Anderson.

That is all I will subject you to for now.

I think track 11 is a lovely piece. The piano player's style really works for me. I will probably check this one out further when we get the ID.

I read the comments after my first post, so I know why I'm attracted to track 12. Dennis Gonzalez. One of my favorites. This is another beautiful piece of music. Mr. Gonzalez' CD “Idle Wild” is one of my most played.

I enjoyed the last track overall but the drumming was my favorite part. Maybe some similarities to Paul Motion? I'm not very bright, so could you guys explain what you mean by studied?

If I haven't said it already and even if I have, thanks a lot for this BFT. Some really good music for my taste.

If I haven't said it already and even if I have, thanks a lot for this BFT. Some really good music for my taste.

I have to chime in again on this too, because I feel the same way. This was thoroughly enjoyable...awesome selection of material! I can't wait to find out who some of these are.

• 2 weeks later...

Caveat: this didn’t drive me to the usual brink of insanity that most free-avant-squawk-fests usually do, and this is because I can tell you the EXACT day I listened to this: Wednesday, October 3, immediately after the Rangers got swept into Wild-Card oblivion by the Oakland A’s. In my massive frustration, this collection only fueled my already blitzkrieged brain and what I originally started typing ended up being an endless list of “I DON’T KNOW, I DON’T GIVE A RAT’S ASS, BUT I WANNA PLAY THIS IN THE RANGERS CLUBHOUSE TO SCARE THE SHIT OUTTA THEM INTO PLAYING FOR THEIR LIVES!!!!” Alas, such did not happen. Although I’m happy that Detroit is going to the World Series (and you better believe I’m rooting for those guys!!! GO TIGERS!!!), alas (again) all you’re left with is the following clueless musings. Sorry to keep y’all waiting!

Track 1: Three minutes in, still waiting for the song to start. Long intros make me think of CTI, the trumpet player makes me think of Freddie Hubbard which makes me think of CTI. Oh, that piano vamp is nice! Let’s have some more of that! Oh, I’m liking this more with that two-chord vamp holding things together nicely, despite the squawking going on over it. It’s as if the prettier this gets, the more determined the sax player gets to make this as dischordant as possible. {{{MEGA-SIGH}}} And just like that, the piano player is told at gunpoint to quit playing anything rhythmic and go back to playing this ten-minute introduction to...... I guess we’ll never know.

Track 2: Sounds like vintage mid-60’s Blue Note Bobby Hutcherson & Joe Chambers. Nice. Doesn’t sound very structured to these ears, but at least it sounds like it’s going somewhere, and the vibist & the drummer keep things very interesting.

Track 3: It’s the same guys from track 1. I guess they felt I haven’t been tortured enough. Thanks guys. Appreciate it. NO, seriously, when I actually listen to this (as opposed to whining without listening), I can appreciate that it’s of the same character as track two. The man in the mirror sez it’s because my ears prefer vibes over horns for this kind of thing, because the drummer here is keeping things going like the drummer on track 2.

Track 4: I must’ve really hated this one, because I see I deleted it from my download. Sorry! I think!

Track 5: Hold that train!!! I’m coming! The piano intro sounds like what Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood would be like if it were a dark creepy forest. Nice Ellingtonish voicings! Me likey so far! Gonna go out on a limb and suggest Marion Brown?

Track 6: I never complain about anything even remotely Klezmer-sounding, and this be no exception! Fun, rollicking, & noisy! What’s there to whine about?

Track 7: One thing that’s always irritated me with jazz (or any instrumental music) is my consistent failure to recognize tunes and not know their names. I love this song! I love this arrangement! Sounds like it could be from TIME FOR TYNER. Maybe it is! It’s been so long since I listened to .... AFRO BLUE!!!!! I knew it would come to me! Thank you Cal Tjader! NO, that’s not my guess, I was just trying to remember where else I’d heard this. Wait, maybe it *is* Cal Tjader! Ah, whatthehelldoIknow? I’m just lovin’ it, that’s all! Actually, on second thought (or maybe I’m up to my eighth thought), this sounds like mid-70’s Hutch on Blue Note. ALWAYS a good thing!

Track 8: Good for what it is, I guess. Not a big fan of solo sax.

Track 9: Okay, I guess. Just kinda drags for me. I mean, it all makes sense on a technical level, and I appreciate the chords and the voicings and the obvious thought that went into the improvisations. I dunno, it makes me think that things are being overthought instead of just movin’ & groovin’, y’know? I mean, I respect it a TON even if it don’t move me much!

Track 10: Sounds like they’re trying to go for the sound of a New Orleans hangover. Whether or not they succeeded is up to a better judge than me (i.e. someone who’s actually HAD one).

At this point, my stamina has run out and I as I sampled the last four tracks the range of responses I had were “meh” to “YIKES!” So, I’ll leave it at that.

I apologize for being my usual grouchy narrow-minded anti-avant self again, Colin, as I have no doubt you put a lot of thought and heart into this. Take my comments with something less than a grain of salt, because I defer to the more knowledgeable amongst the BFT players and their much-more-informed-than-my comments! :)

I like #7 a lot. I am not familiar with this version of Afro Blue, and am looking forward to finding out who this is. Afro Blue is such a good song. I really like Cal Tjader's version on Soul Sauce. Now this is another really good recording of the song.

It was Cal Tjader's version running thru my head while listening to #7 that was driving me to distraction the entire time. Nice to know I was not alone in this! :)

The month is getting away from me. Here's a first round of responses...

1 Lo-fi, but what the heck. The drummer jumps in with abandon, and then the tenor seems to be leading the way. The intro made me think the trumpeter would be the leader, but it seems to be the tenor. Got a Pharoah thing in his tone and vibrato, though his stamina and chops aren't on that level. Piano interlude is OK, tenor coda is nice. Must be something from a smaller label like ESP. Enjoyable.

2 Vibes with a great sense of texture and color, and the technique to bring off some pretty difficult things. Maybe Karl Berger? Maybe some new cat? Good stuff.

3 I'll guess it's recent, and that the trumpeter is the leader. I like what the bass player has to say all through this discussion.

4 There's something familiar about this, but can't place it. Impressive all around. If I don't have this record, I want it. For some reason, the tune itself reminds me of Carla Bley's writing.

5 A project with echoes of Mingus. How 'bout that alto player? And I like the clarinet even better.

6 Recent and fun. Are those gurglings in the left channel from a laptop?

7 Afro Blue with vibes. The pianist is McCoy, but I've been fooled on this before – might be someone who sounds very much like him. And the drummer is Elvin or a wannabe Elvin. Most of the excitement on this one comes from the drums.

8 Blue Monk on alto, another lo-fi but appealing thing. It's good to hear a real examination of the tune, not just a cruise through the changes.

9 A dark and slippery journey. Some really wonderful trombone here, by a rare plunger expert (Ray Anderson? Wolter Wierbos?). But the whole band moves as one. I love it.

Better finish this quickly before I run out of month...

10. Oh, shoot. I should know this head. Seems like I've heard the head, though not this performance.

The one-sax-player-comps-for-the-other idea is dangerous, but they make it work.

11. I hear a generous amount of ECM echo. 'Zat chew, Jan Garbarek? My ear is drawn to the skittering piano, which is just wonderful throughout. So is the bass. I want this in my collection.

12. The trumpet is telling me it's Kenny Wheeler. Or is my head still stuck in ECM mode?

13. Makes me think of Ran Blake and Jeanne Lee, but that isn't Jeanne. But the spirit is right, and I'm a fan of this one.

14. It's static and not static. I like it. At first I was going to say something about the bass player's intonation, but it doesn't matter now.

Thanks, Colin! This BFT is going to make me search out some discs, I can tell.

Well, I really waited 'til the last minute on this one. I didn't have as much time to devote to it as I often do, so my comments are on the short side. I imagine that a lot of tracks have been identified by now. I was only able to ID one track, but I enjoyed most of them.

1. It’s in the manner of Pharoah Sanders’ early-70s approach, but it’s definitely not Pharoah on saxophone. Could it be Alice Coltrane on piano? To me, it doesn’t start much of anywhere and doesn’t go anywhere, so it doesn’t do much for me. Hope I didn't just insult one of your favorite recordings.

2. Very unusual vibraphone style, with an unusual use of the damper pedal - he or she lets lots of notes ring longer than most vibists would. Some very good, very personal writing and playing here.

3. What an interesting conversation this piece is. And I really like the way that conversation flows into and out of the written material.

4. This is pretty cool. 11/8 I think. Builds very nicely over the vamp. Is that bass clarinet, or alto? I feel like I should know who the tenor player is.

5. I love the rhythmic ambiguity of this, as well as the simultaneous improvising by the horns. It sounds like Charlie Mariano on alto to me - which means it's probably not.

6. Tuba - I'm already interested. Cool groove, good solos, and some French horn (I think). I like.

7. I'm assuming that the most obvious guesses about who's playing this "Afro Blue" would be wrong. Good, fiery playing.

8. That's some harsh, metallic-sounding recording quality. The music's good, though. I think it's Marion Brown. He recorded "Blue Monk" solo in 1985 for the Recollections album. This is not from that album, but I know that there's at least one bootleg recording of a solo concert from the same period that's in circulation. In any case, excellent, soulful playing.

9. Very nice plunger trombone - out there, but bluesy. Imaginative piano playing and rhythm section interplay, too. A good one.

10. My first thought was Prince Lasha and Sonny Simmons, then I realized that one of the saxes is a tenor – or is it? I don’t know, but it’s classic free-ish jazz – I don’t want to call it free, since it’s a blues. Great inside/outside, appealingly sloppy-ish playing all around.

11. The interplay between the piano and the bass was so good that I kind of didn’t want the soprano saxist to come back in, but of course, the high standard of listening and playing continued after that. Beautiful little snippet of melody at the end. Very nice.

12. The trumpet player is kind of a free-jazz Charlie Shavers – fat tone and wide vibrato. I like this dramatic piece, but kind of wish they had developed it a little more.

13. “Out of This World” by Ran Blake and Dominique Eade, from the album Whirlpool. I like the contrast between Eade’s fairly straightforward vocal and Blake’s churning, dissonant accompaniment.

14. A well-played, straightforward reading of a pretty straightforward Anthony Braxton composition (#23C, which Braxton recorded on the New York, Fall 1974 album and elsewhere). I like it – nice, clean playing of an interesting piece.

So I had qualms about one track and really didn't like another, but liked everything else - pretty good percentage. Thanks for an interesting BFT.

Edited by jeffcrom