30 years ago today...

Hardbopjazz

The first CD player went on sale. I believe my first CD player was in 1985. First two CDs I bought were, Tears for Fears' "Songs from the Big Chair" and Lambert Hendericks and Ross "Sing Along with Basie."

article

I was a little later to the CD party - probably around '87 or so. My first purchases were a bunch of McMaster Blue Notes (longboxes) that were being sold at "The Record Theatre" - a local record chain in Buffalo that at one point had 5 or 6 locations. I remember picking up a bunch of Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Dexter Gordon - purchases all inspired by my having seen 'Round Midnight.

I actually still have all of those early purchases - never having upgraded. I posted earlier in another thread that I need to make some time and revisit the collection - most of which I have not listened to in years. This thread makes me want to do so even more.

Chuck thats interesting thats the 1st you had, there were earlier Verve issues, that look like THIS--

srbtcd.jpg

some of the early verve cds are essential, like the solo Bill Evans stuff. this is music you need to hear without distortion or other limitations of vinyl. god bless the cd! happy cd birthday, everybody!

Edited by chewy

Apparently so!

West coast baseball, a losing game and the stresses that it creates, and an extra half-pill to get to sleep in time to go to work the next day...apparently there was an....INTERVAL at the computer! :g

Think I better leave that extra half-pill alone. Jibberish posting is one thing, but god forbid I go shopping or driving or try to rent a car by phone and get the wrong number...

I'm sure there was some poetry almost there, though...

I bought CD's, which made me have to get a CD player. I was holding out as long as I could (but knew it was inevitable), but then was in Tower Records on South Street in Philly, early 1988, and saw a bunch of classic Blue Note titles on sale as cutouts. I thought "oh no, I'm going to have missed my opportunity on all the Blue Note reissues!" and scooped up a bunch of them at the then-bargain price of $7.99. A few days later bought a CD player to play them on. Turns out they were only cut out for Blue Note to redo the catalog number system or something, all have been reissued various times, and I don't believe I still own any of those original CD's today. But they have 5,000-10,000 brothers and sisters to take their place. It was somewhat under control until the internet and Ebay bulk lots come along (for me - held out there also) 10 years later.

When CD players/recorders first came out I was very enthusiastic about the ability to record LPs as well as playing CDs. I was able to record much of my large LP collection onto CDRs. Subsequently I have sold or given away all my LPs. The CDRs I made in the early 1980's still play beautifully.

I held out getting a CD player until it was literally forced upon me sometime in 1988. At that time I was still buying LPs even though CDs were the not item in the record stores when I went to the annual jazz LP sales "expo" sponsored annually by WBGO in Newark, NJ. At the door, they asked all customers to fill out a form with our address, phone number particulars. I recall spending about $50 for LPs that day, a purchase that included obtaining a mint copy of Rollins' OUR MAN IN JAZZ on RCA. Later that week, I received a letter from WBGO telling me that a drawing had been conducted at the sales expo, evidently after I had left, and that I was the grand prize winner. The prize? A NAD high end CD deck. When I showed my wife the letter, she groaned as she had repeatedly said whenever she looked at my sizable LP collection, "Don't think about getting into compact discs. As far as you're concerned, "CD" means "certain divorce." But there was nothing she could do once I won that deck.

I held out getting a CD player until it was literally forced upon me sometime in 1988.

In my case it was 1989 - and the catalyst was emigration to North America and cheaper CD prices in the shops. My first player was a Nackamichi. Some of the early Blue Note titles then for sale were (to me) astonishing - titles such as Wayne Shorter 'Night Dreamer', Andrew Hill 'Black Fire' and Hank Mobley 'The Turnaround', which I don't think I'd even seen before on any form of vinyl. They could also be picked up for around $10-11. The main problem was getting them out of the damn longbox that they came with !

Edited by sidewinder

I first bought the Silver Collection by Wes Montgomery and Blues and the Abstract Truth, just to have the CDs. A few weeks later I broke down and bought a Marantz player. This was 2006 or so.

I can remember when Downbeat reviewed CDs separately from lps!

I bought my first CD Player in 1989 (a Philips) and a first CD the same day. It was (and still his) Art Pepper "With Warne Marsh" (Copyrighted 1986) on Contemporary/Carrère (french print). It was a AAD CD and I've never seen it again until few years ago when it appears in japanese ed., that I bought for 26€ (+ postage) at a seller direct from Japan. After I've made comparaison between both, I've resell... the japanese (it was a 20 bits edition). The first Cd player has been following by a Nad 320, an Harman Kardon (who could reed "true" 20 bit CD and that I still own), and, for now a Marantz + a Philips DVD player for the SACD. Around 3999 CD has follow since + 42 LP exactly, most bought directly from musicians at concert.

Edited by P.L.M

• 4 weeks later...

When CD players/recorders first came out I was very enthusiastic about the ability to record LPs as well as playing CDs. I was able to record much of my large LP collection onto CDRs. Subsequently I have sold or given away all my LPs. The CDRs I made in the early 1980's still play beautifully.

You are probably off by 10 years as the cdr wasn't developed until 1988, recorders available in 1992 were around $10,000 according to Wikipedia.

I came to cd's around 1987 or 88, I remember how pissed I was that I had to buy cd's by Pullen/Adams to get extra tracks after having bought them on vinyl.

'87 or '88 was when I first started buying cds and my first player (a Pioneer, didn't sound that great). I started with Miles Davis cds and then moved on to Blue Note, it amazed me that there were all these Blue Note cds coming out of material I had heard or read about but never was able to get into a player.

Now it's full circle for me, I have an awesome digital playback system and I'm falling in love with lps again.

Tom in RI- you are right- I did error by about 10 years. As I get older time tends to compress.

Remember when CDRs first came out they were limited to 74 minutes? I have many of these that I made with a Philips CD recorder and they all play beautifully. When the 80-minute CDRs came out it was great because now you could record 2 LPs onto 1 disc.