Newport Jazz Festival "All-Star" Tour

Uncle Skid

:excited::excited::excited:

I was planning on going anyway, but now I find out that this one is FREE!!

Jazz Superstars to Play Free Concert

...saxophonists James Moody and James Carter, pianist Cedar Walton, trumpet player Randy Brecker, guitarist Howard Alden, bass player Peter Washington and drummer Lewis Nash.

Upright Bill and I are planning on getting tickets on Feb 7th. Any other board members in Michigan interested in going -- Chuck, Joe, Jim, Randy....??? If anyone needs tickets, we may be able to get some extras (we're limited to 2 per person).

This tour also makes stops in East Lansing and Kalamazoo:

Newport Jazz Festival 50th: Tour Dates

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's really lucky that the show is free for you Michiganites. I had to pay $40 for my ticket for the Chicago show. However, its at the Chicago Theater, one of the nicest venues in the world, so I'm not complaining too much! :g

My wife and I are going. Sorry, can only get two tickets. I've been MC at these Collins Foundation concerts before and they're great. This isn't really free. It's free to the public, but the Foundation is paying the fees and giving the community the experiance. The one I mc'd featured George Shearing with Don Thompson on bass; Joe Pass, solo; and Joe Williams with a Quartet. And they all got together for a jam.

The previous Newport All Stars that played the Frauenthal, which is also a beautiful, historic theater, was to have featured Scott Hamilton and Warren Vache, but that changed to Harold Ashby and Norris Turney with Randy Sandke. Was invited to MC that, too, and asked Wein if he wanted me to explain the changes. He said no, he'd take of it. And he didn't. So people got mad at me for not mentioning it. Yikes!

I remember in rehearsal when Sandke asked George Wein, "What do you want to play as a duet?" I caught Wein's eye and said, "Aren't you going to do 'Weather Bird'?" Wein looked at me like, where the hell did you come from? Isn't this Muskegon? Then he smiled and said, "Oh, we don't have the music for that." :blink:

It was a great show, none the less. The last thing I saw in this theater was Hal Holbrook's one man Mark Twain show. Muskegon turns out for this stuff. Very fun.

I'll be camping out to get these seats. Cedar Walton! Moody! And of course James Carter is a Blue Laker -- he played at the fine arts camp this past summer with a faculty/pro sextet. Great program of fairly obscure music by Don Byas, Leonard Feather, Jug...

• 2 weeks later...

*very* long line!

I arrived at about 9:45 AM, and the line was already pretty long. By 10:15, it had doubled again, with it stretching back and forth from the box office, all the way down to the Theater entrance at Western Ave and 3rd and back again, three deep. At least they managed to keep the line inside for the most part.

I waited about an hour, and got my two tickets. I saw Upright Bill and his wife there as well, ahead of me in line.

The line had cleared by noon (I had to go back to drop my daughter off at Civic Theater), so it looks like everybody who was in line probably got tickets.

People in line seemed to be quite excited about this event -- it's great that the festival is making a stop in Muskegon, and even better that it's free.

Joe - I only got two tickets (my wife couldn't make it this morning), but Bill has one for you.

-- Mark

Edited by Uncle Skid

The one I mc'd featured George Shearing with Don Thompson on bass; Joe Pass, solo; and Joe Williams with a Quartet. And they all got together for a jam.

Lazaro - I was there and remember you. Do you remember me I was sitting first row exactly in the center ;) . We also have the same opthalmaligist, he tells me that every time I see him (you are I are apparently the only two people he knows involved in Jazz).

Anyone interested in getting together either just before or just after?

Joe, we have a ticket for you. Are you bringing a friend? If not I may have another available for someone.

I have Right K3-8.Our seats

Joe, we have a ticket for you. Are you bringing a friend? If not I may have another available for someone.

So you have two available, Bill? Jim, that would be great if you want to go. I'd prefer not to make that drive alone. :)

My wife and I grabbed an extra two with you in mind. So, yes I have two for you. I may have another but I don't know yet.

If there are any tickets left they will be available next week. I can check and attempt to get more if they are needed and will be used.

Any that weren't picked up will be sold at the Frauenthal Ticket center during regular times. So you might trying calling today to see if there are any left.

Upright Bill -- is that the eye docter across the street from G&L right there by the mall?

No, the guy in the office attached to Grand Haven Hospital.

Oh yes. He did my surgery a year ago. Now I'm living in bizzaro world where one eye sees images 7 to 8 percent larger than other other. Have a contact to correct that, but you don't see as well with a contact. So basically I'm waiting for the other eye to cloud over so I can have it done, and then I'll be like a really old guy. :o Nice, guy, btw.

So you have two available, Bill? Jim, that would be great if you want to go. I'd prefer not to make that drive alone. :)

Joe, Jim

Where/How will we hook up on Monday night to do the ticket hand off? Do you want to meet for dinner somewhere before?

BTW Joe, there are no columns in the building.

Hmm.... good question. I'd love to do dinner but I have to work in Ann Arbor tomorrow and Muskegon is a two hour drive from Lansing. I'm not sure how long I'll be in Ann Arbor. If I can get out by 3:00pm and I can be back in Lansing by 4pm and in Muskegon by 6pm. Then we could get something to eat.

I'll keep you posted.