Newport Jazz Festival "All-Star" Tour

Uncle Skid

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, thanks for the mini report. More in the morning?

Not much I can add to what Lazaro has already written.

The best part of the night for me was at home after the concert when my wife asked my me order CDs by Moody and Carter. She is slowly become a jazz fan.

Oh and she says that Peter Washington is cute and then added that maybe it was a bassist thing.

My wife didn't ask ME to buy any CD's.

:rcry:rcry

(but that's never stopped me before!!) ;):ph34r:

In addition to CD's from Moody and Carter, I'll definitely need to pick up some of Howard Alden's stuff. And more Cedar Walton is never a bad thing...

Bill -- Peter Washington is indeed on those David Hazeltine discs I mentioned last night.

For what it is worth I've really been digging Moody's latest on Savoy, especially for the Tony Williams inspired drumming of Anthony Pinciotti, who as a 16 or 17 year old played at Blue Lake with Ira Sullivan. The Main Theme to Glenngarry, Glenn Ross is happening.

Upright Bill, might you elaborate on Washington's contribution?

Upright Bill, might you elaborate on Washington's contribution?

According to my wife, his contribution is his great smile.

I liked him. His note choices were IMHO great on his solos. I thought his note choices on his walking lines were based on his comfort zones on the neck (1/2, first, fourth and sixth positions) in that he seemed to shift between those zones exclusively.

I wasn't blown away by his tone. Bad amp perhaps.

I found his right hand technique interesting. I got to hang out with Lynn Seaton a few months ago and we discussed my need to get "more meat" on the string. That is, play with the side of my index finger from the tip to the first joint rather than just the side of the tip. Washington is playing with the side of the tip of his finger but reinforcing it with his middle finger. I think he could use some of the same advice I got from Seaton.

On the other hand, he is so much better than me and I am so jealous of it not being me playing with those guys that I have no right to comment.

I was amazed by everyone.

BTW, the CD they're selling at intermission, which isn't "available in stores or on the web" features music from the double lp "Newport Jazz Festival: Live (Unreleased Performances from 1956, 1958, 1963) (Columbia C2 38262); as well as Ellington and Newport 1956 Complete; and Duke Ellington & His Orchestra Live at Newport 1958" (both on Columbia/Legacy). I bought it as I'd rather take it easy on the double lp, though I'm not ditching my lp as I'm pretty sure it has more stuff on it.