2013 Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame nominees announced

rostasi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock'n'ROLL stopped rolling in c.1962-63 at the latest, by much stricter standards even as early as 1960 (some garage punk rock'nroll of the mid-60s possibly excepted). :lol: What came after is just plain ROCK. :g

But the Meters? Or Albert King? Rock? Really? No blues/Black Music Hall of fame around?

Is this a "non-easy listening, non-middle of the road popular music hall of fame", then? ;)

Is this a "non-easy listening, non-middle of the road popular music hall of fame", then? ;)

Now that's what I'd like see happen, the Easy Listening Hall Of Fame! And then to find whatever board has the threads seething with anger over Perry Como not being in the inaugural class and the arguments over old school easy listening and these new breed autotuners. :lol:

Now that's what I'd like see happen, the Easy Listening Hall Of Fame! And then to find whatever board has the threads seething with anger over Perry Como not being in the inaugural class and the arguments over old school easy listening and these new breed autotuners. :lol:

Why, that doesn't exist yet?? :excited:

Oops ... :w

You should Google "loungelegends" and discover more things than even your best dreams and worst nightmare occurring simultaneously could produce.

• 1 month later...

Winners announced today, the following artists will be inducted...

Rush

Heart

Randy Newman

Public Enemy

Donna Summer

Albert King

Lou Adler

Quincy Jones

How does Heart get in before Deep Purple? :bad:

Deep Purple has been eligible for like 20 years, why didn't they go in over a decade ago?

That's cool that Rush got in. Not that I've ever liked them, but I love that a band so universally reviled by the critics got in, due to their devoted fan base. There's a DJ in the NYC area who insists that Chicago should be inducted. Maybe there's hope for them!

DGS, original Drifters, yes. Ben E. King Drifters and Johnny Moore Drifters no. With the exceptions I mentioned in post #38, I don't think the Hall of Fame should include folks with just a few hits.

Although my primary disdain for the Brill Bldg. folks is their music, I also object to the corporate nature of it all. The rock 'n' roll heroes of the 50s, the British Invasion groups, and the New Wave bands were artists who drove the trends, not pawns of the record companies.

How does Heart get in before Deep Purple? :bad:

The hall is trying to keep the girl-boy ratio from getting too skewed towards the boys. And so you get stuff like this. But Ooooooo, Bare-a-coo-da! (I've now played 3 snippets of their oeuvre in my head and my head has run dry). :lol:

Rush, like Springsteen, is a bad I can never get into but I keep trying every few years. I do not get it; based on all the music I listen to of "that" variety, I should. But it leaves me cold. Springsteen's music leaves me cold; Rush is at least abstractly more interesting, but Geddy Lee's voice? ARGH.

It's a shame about Deep Purple.

Regardless of the opinion on Heart's musical merit, these statistics probably have something to do with it...

Heart has sold over 30 million records worldwide, had 20 Top 40 singles, seven Top Ten albums and four Grammy nominations. Heart achieved Top 10 albums on the Billboard charts in the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2010s, with chart singles in each decade. This span of over four decades gives them the longest span of Top 10 albums by a female fronted band.

That's cool that Rush got in. Not that I've ever liked them, but I love that a band so universally reviled by the critics got in, due to their devoted fan base. There's a DJ in the NYC area who insists that Chicago should be inducted. Maybe there's hope for them!

I agree completely. Can't stand them myself, but they should be there. Not that I care about the R&RHOF; I think it's an absurd concept to begin with.

Geddy Lee's voice and bass playing are the only thing Rush has going for it.

So you're neutral on Neil? 'cause Geddy Lee's voice can't possibly be a positive. I've heard better sounds after stepping on a cat's tail...