John Tchicai, RIP

clifford_thornton

What sad news. He was/is one of my heroes from when I first started listening to jazz, way back when, and I've always bought anything released by him since. Unfortunately I never managed to catch him playing live.

Edited by Head Man

The Danish Jazzblog.dk reports that saxophonist John Tchicai died in his sleep in hospital in Perpignan yesterday. He had suffered a brain haemorrhage and collapsed at Barcelona airport on June 11th. He had been in good spirits and started to work with a physiotherapist, but had cancelled all gigs. His recent work in the UK had been in a duo with the late Tony Marsh. RIP.

from: http://londonjazz.blogspot.com/2012/10/rip-john-tchicai-1936-2012.html

The source for that news is this here:

John Tchicai er syg

Posted on juli 6th, 2012 by jazzblog.dk

Update 8/10 2012:

John Tchicai har nu spillet sin sidste jazzkoncert. Han er stille sovet ind i Perpignan.

John Tchicai, 1936-2012

Ingen koncerter med John Thicai i de næste måneder.

Vores gode ven, komponisten, saxofonisten og jazzmusikeren John Tchicai fik den 11. juni en hjerneblødning, men har det efter omstændighederne godt.

Han faldt om i Barcelona lufthavn og blev straks kørt til et lokalt hospital.

Nu befinder han sig på hospital i Perpignan i nærheden af sit hjem.

Han er ved godt mod og kan føre en samtale, men er sengeliggende og får sondemad.

De tager sig godt af ham og han er i bedring og som hans datter Julie siger: “Nogenlunde klar i pæren og stærk og rørig i højre side”.

En fysioterapeut prøver hans reaktioner og forsøger at få ham i gang med genoptræning hurtigst muligt, men hans tilstand tillader ham ikke at spille koncerter foreløbig.

Venlig hilsen,

Pierre Dørge

Google translate of the relevant update from today:

Update 8/10 2012:

John Tchicai has now played his last jazz concert. He is still asleep in Perpignan.

John Tchicai, 1936-2012

or the entire thing, written by Pierre Dorge:

John Tchicai is sick

Posted on July 6th, 2012 by jazzblog.dk

Update 8/10 2012:

John Tchicai has now played his last jazz concert. He is still asleep in Perpignan.

John Tchicai, 1936-2012

No concerts with John Thicai in the next few months.

Our good friend, the composer, saxophonist and jazz musician John Tchicai got on 11 June a brain hemorrhage, but under the circumstances well.

He fell at Barcelona airport and was immediately taken to a local hospital.

Now, he is in hospital in Perpignan near his home.

He is in good spirits and can hold a conversation, but is bedridden and receive tube feeding.

They take good care of him and he is improving and his daughter Julie says: "Fairly clear in the bulb and strong and hearty on the right side".

A physiotherapist tries his reactions and trying to get him going with rehabilitation as soon as possible, but his condition allows him to play concerts so far.

Sincerely,

Pierre Dorge

So either Google Translate or London Jazz Blog is wrong (some speaks any Danish? Chris, are you around?) - either way, this is very unfortunate and extremely sad news. I didn't know about his fall and subsequent brain hemorrhage.

404769_10151519846459465_1135481976_n.jpg

.......with russ gershon and the either/or orchestra. russ just mentioned that charlie will be playing john tchcai music, today.

the charlie kohlhase show (research and development) on wmbr today (2pm-4pm eastern) may feature some timely remarks on the beloved mr. tchcai and his remarkable music.

http://wmbr.mit.edu/

Research & Development

Hosted by: Charlie Kohlhase

Free Jazz of the last 50 years with a special emphasis on the overlooked masters of the '60s and '70s. Classic Tenor Corner. Jazz Calendar Highlights.

561567_4452301342057_227849433_n-1.jpg

this memorable chronology of kohlhase recordings will soon be archived.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I have not been to the board in a while, but I felt compelled to post about John.

Mark Oi, the newest member of my group Reptet was in Mr. Tchicai band a few years back and had the honor of getting to know him very well. In fact he considers him his greatest mentor. Reptet came very close to collaborating with him about four years ago. We were trying to get to Europe and he was looking for a subsidy in traveling to the states. We were looking to take advantage of the French American Cultural Exchange program. John was a French resident at the time and enjoyed our music, so we reached out to him. Ultimately we could not find a suitable venue and things never came together. But I had a few long distance telephone conversations with him and he came across as a deeply spiritual man - very calm, kind, open and sincere. Me and Mark were just talking about John at our gig on Friday and Mark was saying that he was afraid he was not going to be able to get to France in time to say his goodbyes in person, but he hoped that John could hang on a little while longer since he was traveling to France to tour with the Gladiators in about a week. I have not talked to Mark, but I know he must be grieving. We talked about how John is one of a dying breed. People who gave their entire being to their music without hesitancy knowing the trappings of their chosen art form. Folks so dedicated to following the true path of "jazz" (even if it led to the end of the earth) that it tore their minds, bodies and souls to the core. And even through the most trying of times they had the fortitude to remain true to themselves when so many easier options were presented to them. There just aren't any musicians like that left. Myself included. We do what we do, and some of my contemporaries are true virtuosos. But it's not done with the same overwhelming fire and bone crushing dedication.

Good bye John. And thank you.

"There are so many little dyings that it doesn't matter which of them is death." ~Kenneth Patchen

Earlier this year, there was a Kickstarter campaign for the latest recording by Garrison Fewell's Variable Density Sound Orchestra. The album is going to feature Tchicai, Roy Campbell and Steve Swell, among others. I haven't heard much of Tchicai, so I have been looking forward to hearing it. RIP.

I have not been to the board in a while, but I felt compelled to post about John.

Mark Oi, the newest member of my group Reptet was in Mr. Tchicai band a few years back and had the honor of getting to know him very well. In fact he considers him his greatest mentor. Reptet came very close to collaborating with him about four years ago. We were trying to get to Europe and he was looking for a subsidy in traveling to the states. We were looking to take advantage of the French American Cultural Exchange program. John was a French resident at the time and enjoyed our music, so we reached out to him. Ultimately we could not find a suitable venue and things never came together. But I had a few long distance telephone conversations with him and he came across as a deeply spiritual man - very calm, kind, open and sincere. Me and Mark were just talking about John at our gig on Friday and Mark was saying that he was afraid he was not going to be able to get to France in time to say his goodbyes in person, but he hoped that John could hang on a little while longer since he was traveling to France to tour with the Gladiators in about a week. I have not talked to Mark, but I know he must be grieving. We talked about how John is one of a dying breed. People who gave their entire being to their music without hesitancy knowing the trappings of their chosen art form. Folks so dedicated to following the true path of "jazz" (even if it led to the end of the earth) that it tore their minds, bodies and souls to the core. And even through the most trying of times they had the fortitude to remain true to themselves when so many easier options were presented to them. There just aren't any musicians like that left. Myself included. We do what we do, and some of my contemporaries are true virtuosos. But it's not done with the same overwhelming fire and bone crushing dedication.

Good bye John. And thank you.

"There are so many little dyings that it doesn't matter which of them is death." ~Kenneth Patchen

Nice post and you pretty much hit the nail on the head with your description of John's demeanor. He was a beautiful, beautiful person. I lived near him when he met Mark Oi who lived in the same town (Davis) as John while he was teaching at the university. John played many a concert here from art galleries to clubs to coffee houses, any place that would have him. Mark was an integral part of John's musical life during that time. As you know Mark is an exceptional guitarist and I enjoyed watching Mark's playing grow as he spent more time with John. I'm not surprised to hear that John was Mark's biggest mentor as it really showed. Having just heard the news of his passing myself I'm in a bit of a shock over it but I'm going to be spinning my Tchicai collection throughout the day. I'm so glad I don't live in an apartment. I'll be able to play it loud and proud, hoping John can hear it where ever he is. RIP John.

edit: now listening to Afrodisiaca on cd. It's nice to hear John's voice in the spoken word bits. I'm feeling closer to him for some strange reason.

Edited by six string

I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. I will always be a big fan of his music. I only saw him perform one time, in my hometown of Portland. It was with his trio featuring Mark Oi (guitar) and Mat Marucci (drums). The music was so good that it lingered in the spirit for days. It was the best feeling.

Before the show, Mr. Tchicai was kind enough to sign some CDs that I bought as well as a poster. In between sets, he chatted with a small group of the twenty or so people who were there, as we hung out outside the venue on a warm evening. He was very kind. He talked to me about playing with Jimmy Lyons in Cecil Taylor's orchestra in the mid-80s. I will never forget his smile when recalling Jimmy and that music. We also chatted about his own projects, as well as other artists with whom he had recorded.

And then he returned to the stage for the second set and raked down tunes that turned the building into a supernova. There will never be another John Tchicai.

TchicaiPDX_zps0d79f837.jpg