Duke Pearson discussion...

Rooster_Ties

How is Pearson's "The Phantom", from 1968?? I never realized until recently that this title had come out on CD - in Japan only (I think).

The AMG review is decent enough (HERE), but I'd love to hear some other feedback.

Is the TOCJ the complete session, or are there any alternate takes or unreleased tunes from the same session, that presumably aren't on the TOCJ??

Thanks!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have the vinyl. Four bossas, with a blues and a ballad ("Say You're Mine" and "Blues for Alvina") put in for good measure. Melodic and very pleasant. The BN discography lists an unissued track and two rejects.

Another Pearson bossa album you don't hear much about is It Could Only Happen With You, BN LA 317G

Edited by JohnS

Anybody know where I can get the TOCJ of "The Phantom?" I LOVE the title cut and have been waiting for Blue Note to release this forever...thanks again japan!!!

...by the way...since reading this thread, I've been looking.... I used to have some sort of Blue Note compilation (maybe an import) that had "The Phantom" on it...now I can't find it and don't remember the comp. name. Can anybody help me with that comp. title????

Edited by Soul Stream

The title track of 'The Phantom' is about as "experimental" as Pearson ever went. A steady groove is laid down by bass, drums and percussion, but Pearson is playing "out"-ish throughout, with several atonal clusters along the way. The rest of the album is latin-tinged and rather more conventional in comparsion. 'Bunda Amerela' is one of his finest themes, though, and 'The Moana Surf' is a surprising original by flautist Jerry Dodgion who plays very well throughout the album.

'It Could Only Happen with You' features Flora Purim on several tracks. Personally, I like her voice, but I know there are other opinions on her merits as a singer. Pearson plays Fender Rhodes on a few cuts, and while I usually appreciate the instrument (I even play some Rhodes myself), I think that Pearson's touch really was best on piano. The focus this time is more on bossa, and it comes out as very enjoyable, but perhaps not really exciting.

Anybody know where I can get the TOCJ of "The Phantom?"  I LOVE the title cut and have been waiting for Blue Note to release this forever...thanks again japan!!!

...by the way...since reading this thread, I've been looking....  I used to have some sort of Blue Note compilation (maybe an import) that had "The Phantom" on it...now I can't find it and don't remember the comp. name.  Can anybody help me with that comp. title????

:alien:

By some psychic bizarre coincidence I just happen to be listening to 'Scotch & Sofa', a very cool compilation but out by Blue Note France. Track 5 is indeed Pearson's 'The Phantom'. I believe that the compilation was put together by French DJ Booster and the full line up is:

1. Three Sounds 'Out of this World'

2. Lonnie Smith 'Dancin' in an Easy Groove'

3. Earl Klugh 'Heard it on the Grapevine'

4. Lou Donaldson 'One Cylinder'

5. D. Pearson 'The Phantom'

6. Donald Byrd 'Estavanico'

7. Lee Morgan 'Neophilia'

8. Donald Byrd 'Xibaba'

9. Eddie Henderson 'Nostalgia'

10. Bobby Hutcherson 'Bouquet'

Mike F - It's on EMI France 7243 5 24415 2 5, Blue Note Mix CD Vol II.

Cool beyond words... :g

Edited by sidewinder

I know this at the front end of Pearson's career, but I just picked up 'Bag's Groove' on Black Lion. This is the only Pearson I have as a leader - some really nice Bud Powell-esque piano. Judging from other CDs I have where he appears as a sideman (Idle Moments etc.), his style seemed to move on a bit from 'Bag's Groove'. Is there a particularly good place to start with his BN output?

Anybody know where I can get the TOCJ of "The Phantom?"  I LOVE the title cut and have been waiting for Blue Note to release this forever...thanks again japan!!!

Hey Soul Stream, were you the winner???

eBay: DUKE PEARSON Phantom Bobby Hutcherson CD JPN

i-1.JPG

Edited by Rooster_Ties