Bill Brimfield RIP

Chuck Nessa

Brimfield was a key soloist in our unofficial high school jazz band back in 1959-60, made up of students from New Trier and Evanston high schools, led by bassist Bruce Anderson. Drummer was the late Steve Bagby, succeeded by my longtime friend Doug Mitchell. Vocalist, until she was let go, was Ann Margret. She was a good enough singer but too much the chanteuse in manner.

Years later wrote a favorable review for the Chicago Tribune of a band with Brimfield in it at a Hyde Park restaurant. He wrote or called to say thanks but in a manner that implied (or so I thought) that I was being kind to him for old times sake. I wasn't at all; he sounded excellent, a bit like Bill Hardman.

Vocalist, until she was let go, was Ann Margret. She was a good enough singer but too much the chanteuse in manner.

The movie star Ann-Margret? I've always liked her. So sexy. She must have been a knock out back in 59'-60'.

Yup. She was something else in high school, like vintage Rita Hayworth. In the school variety show she sang a number (I think it was "Steam Heat" or something like that) in a tight red dress that was slit up one side -- way up. There were fathers of students who came to every performance.