Columbia Original Masters: The Best Of Duke Ellington (1932 To 1939)

crisp

Ah, thanks. It's amazingly involved. I've always thought Mosaic should do a box of Decca-owned Brunswick/Vocalion material, without knowing what would be on it, simply because a few Mosaic sets of Sony material mention that such and such a session was left off because, although from the same label, it's now owned by Polygram. Beidebecke, Berigan and Bailey (that well known legal firm) might be among them.

Yep, and PolyGram is now part of Universal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PolyGram. Edited by J.A.W.

IIRC everything here is on the Mosaic set except the Ebony Rhapsody rehearsal which I don't think is found anywhere else. Also for some reason one cut only which was originally on RCA-- not srue why it was included. If you can't afford the Mosaic get this set!

Edited to add that there are 2 takes of Ebony Rhapsody on the 4 cd set. Not sure which cd they were on. Also can't remember if they were both "rehearsals".

Disc one has the Victor recording of 'Daybreak Express' . The Ebony rhapsody recordings are tracks one and two on disc two. They were either rehearsals or soundtrack recordings. Ebony rhapsody was discussed in the DEMS bulletin. http://www.depanorama.net/dems/03dems3b.htm

On Duke, do not hesitate.

Couldn't find a thread for this but I know it's been discussed here and is much sought-after.

This boxed set, which was available very cheaply a couple of years ago and now sells for silly money, is being reissued in Sony's The Real series as The Real Duke Ellington, again for a very low price.

The Real Duke box is selling for under $10 from an eBay seller.

I was translating peche as fish!! No wonder I couldn't figure out what song it was.

Me too, but in Django's Peche a la Mouche. But I still don't get the meaning.

"Pêche à la mouche" means "fly fishing".

Edited by J.A.W.

• 3 years later...
On 10/11/2012 at 6:22 AM, crisp said:

Couldn't find a thread for this but I know it's been discussed here and is much sought-after.

This boxed set, which was available very cheaply a couple of years ago and now sells for silly money, is being reissued in Sony's The Real series as The Real Duke Ellington, again for a very low price.

Even better, it has five extra tracks (6-10 on disc two).

For what it's worth there are three other new jazz titles in the series:

Benny Goodman

Dave Brubeck

Louis Armstrong

(Also Bob Dylan, Doris Day and, er Christmas.)

Not sure when they were released, but there are now also Count Basie  and Erroll Garner  sets in this "The Real..." series

On 3/14/2017 at 1:35 AM, medjuck said:

This is an incredible bargain.  Most of it is on the Mosaic box set  but I think it's the only place where you can find the two rehearsals of Ebony Rhapsody.  BTW what they list as "It On Toast"  is "TT On Toast."

The Ellington was whittled down from a 4 disc set.