Columbia Original Masters: The Best Of Duke Ellington (1932 To 1939)

crisp

Couldn't find a thread for this but I know it's been discussed here and is much sought-after.

This boxed set, which was available very cheaply a couple of years ago and now sells for silly money, is being reissued in Sony's The Real series as The Real Duke Ellington, again for a very low price.

Even better, it has five extra tracks (6-10 on disc two).

For what it's worth there are three other new jazz titles in the series:

Benny Goodman

Dave Brubeck

Louis Armstrong

(Also Bob Dylan, Doris Day and, er Christmas.)

But it isn't the same is it?

The old one had 95 tracks on 4 CDs, this new one has 75 tracks on 3CDs.

Still a great bargain though

Despite the really cheap price, this music has always been so important to me that I would always recommend the Mosaic.

Edited by Steve Gray

IIRC everything here is on the Mosaic set except the Ebony Rhapsody rehearsal which I don't think is found anywhere else. Also for some reason one cut only which was originally on RCA-- not srue why it was included. If you can't afford the Mosaic get this set!

Edited to add that there are 2 takes of Ebony Rhapsody on the 4 cd set. Not sure which cd they were on. Also can't remember if they were both "rehearsals".

Edited by medjuck

There's a Miles, too ... and a great one by Doris Day ;)

And Johnny Cash (another well-picked one, it has his few first Columbia albums in their entirety, I think).

Plus an Elvis and a Dylan and a Billie Holiday.

The Billie Holiday, which is otherwise a good looking selection of Columbia material, has a track called "C'est Un Peche de Dire Un Mentire". What on earth is that?

• 6 months later...

But it isn't the same is it?

The old one had 95 tracks on 4 CDs, this new one has 75 tracks on 3CDs.

CD1 and CD3 in the new 3-CD set have exactly the same titles as CD1 and CD3 in the old 4-CD set.

CD2 in the new set has, from the old one, CD2 (1-5); CD4 (1-5); CD2 (6-8, 10-20); CD4 (6).

"Ebony Rhapsody" is not on the Mosaic set.

More on the old set, in this DE Panorama article (under "mixed feelings")

F

• 3 weeks later...

Just spotted this: The Complete Brunswick and Vocalion Recordings, a "new" three-CD set from Verve.

Is this a straight reissue of this set? Would I be right in thinking this material is on neither the Mosaic sets nor the big RCA box?

The title of the Mosaic is The Complete 1932-1940 Brunswick, Columbia and Master Recordings of Duke Ellington and His Famous Orchestra, so there's your answer.

The 1926-1931 Brunswick recordings are now owned by Universal, while the 1932-1940 Brunswick - and all RCA - recordings are now owned by Sony; none of the Sony-owned material is included on the European Verve (= Universal) set.

I think you can safely assume that the material on the U.S. Decca (= Universal) 3CD-set Early Ellington is indeed included on that European set.

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks, JAW. Just wanted to confirm that this complements rather than duplicates the RCA and Mosaic sets, neither of which I own yet.

The split ownership of Brunswick/Vocalion is something I've never been able to get my head round.

The split ownership of Brunswick/Vocalion is something I've never been able to get my head round.

That's been a "who sold what to whom and when"-tale through the decades :) I once posted the story somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now. The Early Ellington booklet has a few lines about it.

[edit]

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunswick_Records

Edited by J.A.W.

Ah, thanks. It's amazingly involved. I've always thought Mosaic should do a box of Decca-owned Brunswick/Vocalion material, without knowing what would be on it, simply because a few Mosaic sets of Sony material mention that such and such a session was left off because, although from the same label, it's now owned by Universal. Beidebecke, Berigan and Bailey (that well known legal firm) might be among them.

Edit: looking at the preview of this discography I can see a few items of jazz interest: Rex Stewart, Red Nichols, Fletcher Henderson, Clarence Williams, just from 1927. I don't imagine Mosaic would touch the Ben Bernie sessions, though...

Edited by crisp