how much music do you have stored on hard drives

how do you organize it all - and where do you keep liner notes?

I am tempted to go this route but fear inaccessibility!

:rfr:o

I agree. I have about 200GB on HD. Managing and finding stuff requires incredible discipline. Look at Rod's statistics: 1,743 genres! OK, we know he has loads of strange music, but 1,743 must be the result of spelling mistakes - not necessarily his, but whoever puts these tags onto tracks. And there are loads of other errors; sometimes on the original CD; one of the CDs I got in August had all the track titles offset by one; I had to listen most carefully to the words of each to divine what the titles really were - in fucking Mandinke! Whenever I rip a CD to my HD, it takes ages to get all the information spelt correctly and consistently on the tags - and get the right artwork etc; much longer than doing the rip itself.

MG

I am tempted to go this route but fear inaccessibility!

:rfr:o

Organizing is fairly simple, as long as you're consistent with a few rules: how to list the artist, and whether a collection should be listed as a compilation or be under an artist's name ("album artist"). CDDB usually takes care of the rest; it's not perfect, but it usually works (TMG's experience to the contrary). I usually list personnel under "Comments," unless there are too many musicians to fit there; then, I enter them under "Lyrics." Don't forget that the search function works really well; using the above instructions would allow you to easily find every, say, Hank Mobley date as either a leader or sideman. I keep liner notes with the original CDs.

Organizing is fairly simple, as long as you're consistent with a few rules: how to list the artist,

is Sun Ra under S orR?

and whether a collection should be listed as a compilation or be under an artist's name ("album artist"). CDDB usually takes care of the rest; it's not perfect, but it usually works (TMG's experience to the contrary). I usually list personnel under "Comments," unless there are too many musicians to fit there; then, I enter them under "Lyrics."

Never thought of that. Good idea.

Don't forget that the search function works really well; using the above instructions would allow you to easily find every, say, Hank Mobley date as either a leader or sideman.

So maybe it doesn't mater if Sun Ra is under S or R.

I keep liner notes with the original CDs.

Organizing is fairly simple, as long as you're consistent with a few rules: how to list the artist,

is Sun Ra under S orR?

A lot of those decisions fall by the wayside in the digital database world. For artist, I enter "Sun Ra," because "Ra, Sun" just looks odd (never mind that that's how he was listed in the Philadelphia white pages!). It hardly matters where iTunes "puts" the mp3 files; just search for "Sun Ra" and everything will show up.

One tip: For artists that have many different variants of their band name (think of Duke Ellington in the '30's and '40's, or, now that I think about it, Sun Ra), enter whatever the name du jour was in the "Artist" field, but enter something simple and consistent in the "Album Artist" field (such as "Duke Ellington" or "Sun Ra"); if you do that, all their work will appear together, in album alphabetical order.

I am tempted to go this route but fear inaccessibility! :rfr:o

I agree. I have about 200GB on HD. Managing and finding stuff requires incredible discipline. Look at Rod's statistics: 1,743 genres! OK, we know he has loads of strange music, but 1,743 must be the result of spelling mistakes - not necessarily his, but whoever puts these tags onto tracks. And there are loads of other errors; sometimes on the original CD; one of the CDs I got in August had all the track titles offset by one; I had to listen most carefully to the words of each to divine what the titles really were - in fucking Mandinke! Whenever I rip a CD to my HD, it takes ages to get all the information spelt correctly and consistently on the tags - and get the right artwork etc; much longer than doing the rip itself.

Organization, for me, is all in iTunes. It's what makes it great (but it seriously needs an upgrade).

I store liner notes and disc pictures in with the cover art in many cases...and there's plenty of info online.

The genres are a bit overstated - I'm guessing closer to 1400 - but it's the only info area that I haven't

diligently kept up with. I use software to check for duplicates, title inconsistencies, orphaned and

missing tracks, but sifting thru genres takes another bit of software that I haven't used much lately,

so I guess this can be a reminder. These titles/CDs in Mandinke make me want to search CDDB to see

if they're there to be had. If so, iTunes might solve that problem too. It's the rare title that doesn't show up there -

even the most obscure thing. The only time a problem comes up is when the title is both obscure and/or

experimental and very new - like only a few days old - and it doesn't come up in the database.

Besides a few things in iTunes, the only material I have on drives is/are my masters. This adds up when you save transfers of all the individual tracks from 2, 3, 4, 8, 16 and 24 track tapes. All the various permutations of mixes and edits are saved in 24 bit. Have not checked the bit count but... And I have one drive at home and another at Delmark where I do most of my work.

Very little. 4.8 GB on an iTunes. Not much into music via computer at all. Don't do portable music any more.

So what did you do with all of your downloaded Grateful Dead shows? Do you have them only on CDRs?

My iTunes is now at 1 TB & 77 GB. If only they made iPods with a little more capacity than 154 GB!