Django Reinhardt Early Recordings Box Set Bargain

I received this message today:

Dear Mr. Goren,

Thank you for your message. Due to a pricing error over the weekend we experienced an unexpected surge in sales and quickly ran out of inventory. Unfortunately, the items in your order were cancelled because there was no more available inventory.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

:(:(:(

It appears to me that the glitch was for items listed as $1.00.

I had jumped into the fire in a big way. After the Brubeck supposedly shipped, they subsequently cancelled six other orders, containing nearly 80 titles, ranging in price from $1 to $22. Not one item was confirmed. Will be interesting to see what arrives in that Amazon box where the Brubeck is to be. BTW - they did list it as "new and manufacturer sealed." Then again, they also showed all the cancelled titles as "in-stock."

Finally received the Brubeck box today- 19 discs, sealed, original factory CDs for $8 ... "They are real, and they are spectacular!"

Needless to say, it fell off the back of a truck.

No, it seems there was something more going on here. The fact that they dropped prices massively on most of their stock for two brief windows, filled many of the early orders and then subsequently cancelled huge numbers of orders seems to indicate a computer glitch or some sort of issue. Until all this happened they were a good storefront and had a great reputation (over 99 percent positive w/ a huge number of transactions). It seems more like a fortunate buyer fluke ... despite all the new to cd material, especially since I had well over half the titles, I was not otherwise going to pick this one up.

Within the last year a WKCR show had a lengthy sequence on very early Django, from before these recordings or the Hot Club. They had no jazz as such, it was French cafe-style standards featuring and accordian, chanteuse and probably more singers-and Django as a young sideman, playing few if any solos. The recordings may have been made in the latest 20s or earliest 30s. You could say they're probably most coveted by Django completists. But I was thrown for a loop, never having heard this stuff. May have been his first recordings, and my foggy memory seems to recall that some of it was live, perhaps Parisian radio airshots that survived. There was at least 45 minutes worth of material. Does anyone have any idea who these people were and if the recordings are commercially available? I'd love to know.

Well, I answered part of my own question anyway. A bio site claims that Django's first recordings were with accordianist Jean Vassaide, for the Ideal label. No further info on other personnel given, but it was discussed in the context of his teen years. I wonder if this was before the celebrated accident that occurred at age 18? Again, if anyone knows anything about these recordings please jump in..