Donald Fagen - Sunken Condos

GA Russell

I've enjoyed everything he's done since TWO AGAINST NATURE, and I'm one of those rarities who prefers his solo stuff over the SD stuff.

I've heard the album once today on Rhapsody, and will be heading to Best Buy to get the CD later. There's nothing on this album that's any different from anything else he's done, but then Fagen is one of the few artists who can say the same thing over & over and keep me interested. It's all about the groove for me, and few people keep that groove going like Donald Fagen, AFAIC, IMHO, and YMMV.

the mastering of 'sunken condos' is, by fagen standards, or any standards really, pretty bad. the material is quite nice - especially after what was, to me, a disappointing 'morph the cat'.

I've got it on order - waiting for it to arrive. Haven't heard anything. Think the mastering was done on a computer? At home?

Seems that more and more people are doing it like that.

Edited by Harold_Z

About the recording quality, here's what the eMusic review says:

"Recorded at tiny home studios throughout New York City, Donald Fagen’s Sunken Condos is his most intimate and quirkily entertaining album since 1982′s The Nightfly."

and

"Lacking the corporate budget of such mid-’00s Steely Dan albums as Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go, Fagen instead focused on getting the most bang for his studio buck on Sunken Condos."

I compared the mastering between 'The Nightfly', 'Kamakiriad', and 'Sunken Condos'. I found the difference shocking. I'd never want to criticize anything Donald has been a part of but Roger Nichols and Elliot Schiner are sorely missed in the mastering department, as far as I'm concerned. The mix, which is what you're marveling at in the streaming, is über. The mastering - not so much. I wonder how the 2-lp vinyl set is...

PS: that last track, Planet d'Rhonda, is pretty hip! I loooooove the way Donald sings the words "plastic wrrrrrap"!

About the recording quality, here's what the eMusic review says:

"Recorded at tiny home studios throughout New York City, Donald Fagen’s Sunken Condos is his most intimate and quirkily entertaining album since 1982′s The Nightfly."

and

"Lacking the corporate budget of such mid-’00s Steely Dan albums as Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go, Fagen instead focused on getting the most bang for his studio buck on Sunken Condos."

Mid 2000s? One was released in Y2K and the other in 2003. Hardly "mid' decade!