What Things Will You Not Like In Your Jazz?

JSngry

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than two tubas.

Not even Bruckner 7?

OK, you're going to play the 'Bruckner is not 'real jazz' card!

Well there's a lot of trumpets in Bruckner so could be...

He'd be called 'Beans' Bruckner or something similar if he was jazz. 'Bratwurst' Bruckner, perhaps?

Edited by A Lark Ascending

More than two tubas.

Not even Bruckner 7?

OK, you're going to play the 'Bruckner is not 'real jazz' card!

Well there's a lot of trumpets in Bruckner so could be...

Head be called 'Beans' Bruckner or something similar if he was jazz. 'Bratwurst' Bruckner, perhaps?

OK I'm going to change it to more than two *types* of tuba. That way Bruckner gets through and we don't have to split hairs over whether he's jazz or not.

Something I don't like in jazz (or popular music in general) is when a performer plays a few recognisable notes of a hit or a well known song and everyone bursts into applause. Who are they applauding? The performer for choosing that song; or themselves for recognising it within a few notes?

My, that was a grouchy one!

Something I don't like in jazz (or popular music in general) is when a performer plays a few recognisable notes of a hit or a well known song and everyone bursts into applause. Who are they applauding? The performer for choosing that song; or themselves for recognising it within a few notes?

That's like when you do something that demonstrates basic competency at life and somebody will say (usually with their eyebrows raised), "AWESOME!!!"

I mean, fuck that, right?

That's got something to do with a thread here a few years ago about how some (most?) people can't recognise a well known song if it has different words; they don't pick up on the tune itself, even though they know it, or the instrumental intro, so when they do get to a point where it's recognisable, they applaud. I always thought this was peculiar, until I read that thread.

MG

That moment in a concert when the bass player (it is usually the bass player) starts clapping his hands over his head with the clear implication that you have to join in. Especially painful amongst British audiences who generally do not have rhythm (they should really ask us to waggle our upper lips).

That's got something to do with a thread here a few years ago about how some (most?) people can't recognise a well known song if it has different words; they don't pick up on the tune itself, even though they know it, or the instrumental intro, so when they do get to a point where it's recognisable, they applaud. I always thought this was peculiar, until I read that thread.

MG

MG

She did a good job. I got all three pretty easily.

I know what you mean, but I can think of one instance where my son and I applauded out of sheer excitement that a song we thought would never get played live was being played live: Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu." (I know it's not jazz, hang with me a second) I mean, we went apeshit!!! And then after the introduction, they started playing "The Unforgiven." THAT'S when everyone else in the crowd went nuts. My son and I, however, went to the concession stand....

I know what you mean, but I can think of one instance where my son and I applauded out of sheer excitement that a song we thought would never get played live was being played live: Metallica's "The Call of Ktulu." (I know it's not jazz, hang with me a second) I mean, we went apeshit!!! And then after the introduction, they started playing "The Unforgiven." THAT'S when everyone else in the crowd went nuts. My son and I, however, went to the concession stand....

No problem with a spontaneous response like that. It's the ritual that irritates. I'm not good on rituals. Must be the lapsed Catholic in me.

• 1 month later...

What I don't like is mainstream jazz being played with no conviction or energy, and with long solos which contain no originality, inspiration, or interest.

I have seen too many jazz concerts like that. The musicians seem to have the attitude that since they are playing mainstream acoustic jazz, it is "real music" and we should be grateful, no matter how dull their playing is.

Otherwise, I have no problems with any instrument or style of jazz. I have heard both inspired and dull music played on literally every instrument.

Edited by Hot Ptah