What Things Will You Not Like In Your Jazz?

JSngry

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smooth

Arthur Prysock? Ray Charles/Betty Carter?

MG

MG, I think SS1 means what's marketed as 'smooth jazz' but is really instrumental R'n'B with all rough edges shaved away and almost no relationship to blues at all. Rippingtons and their ilk.

Most soul jazz could be characterised as instrumental R&B.

MG

Smooth

MG

MG, I think SS1 means what's marketed as 'smooth jazz' but is really instrumental R'n'B with all rough edges shaved away and almost no relationship to blues at all. Rippingtons and their ilk.

MG

But it has plenty of "B".

Smooth

MG

MG

Indeed it does. Its development paralleled that of R&B (most of the people who developed R&B were jazz musicians) and, when R&B went smooth, so did Soul Jazz. :shrug[1]: (George Benson knows why)

MG

Yet another Steve Lacy or David Murray album.

The assumption that "energy" music is high art, or even always music.

The mystery of Cecil Taylor's frequent ramblings automatically being labelled "genius".

Vandermark receiving a MacArthur Grant.

Avant Garde being considered "cool" because it uses the word "avant".

Smooth

MG

MG

Indeed it does. Its development paralleled that of R&B (most of the people who developed R&B were jazz musicians) and, when R&B went smooth, so did Soul Jazz. :shrug[1]: (George Benson knows why)

MG

I don't think GB's really responsible for the Smooth Jazz genre. He had so much energy in his playing they couldn't stifle it. I think it's the Verve Wes Montgomery sessions, and then even more so - his last A&M ones. The A&M ones really smooth it over. Even Grant Green's Easy - is more lush than the Benson albums, before his (Benson's), total crossover to pop. There is a harder Jazz/Funk energy on some of those Benson albums, but I guess ultimately it is all semantics, in that the Benson Jazz-Funk (Body Talk, Blue Benson etc) is still pointing the way towards the 'generic' Smooth Jazz styles we know now. I've even got a Verve Wynton Kelly album that is all 'arrangements' and no playing.

Edited by freelancer

Smooth

MG

MG

MG

I don't think GB's really responsible for the Smooth Jazz genre. He had so much energy in his playing they couldn't stifle it. I think it's the Verve Wes Montgomery sessions, and then even more so - his last A&M ones. The A&M ones really smooth it over. Even Grant Green's Easy - is more lush than the Benson albums, before his (Benson's), total crossover to pop. There is a harder Jazz/Funk energy on some of those Benson albums, but I guess ultimately it is all semantics, in that the Benson Jazz-Funk (Body Talk, Blue Benson etc) is still pointing the way towards the 'generic' Smooth Jazz styles we know now. I've even got a Verve Wynton Kelly album that is all 'arrangements' and no playing.

Yeah, I've got that Wynto LP, too :)

Benson was, I agree, behind Wes on smoothing jazz out. But I was referring to his vocals.

MG

Smooth

MG

MG

MG

Yeah, I've got that Wynto LP, too :)

Benson was, I agree, behind Wes on smoothing jazz out. But I was referring to his vocals.

MG

Oh yeah. I see. His vocals definitely are smoooootttthhhh though. A beautiful voice.