tonight at small's

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"My Friends:

Today is exactly 6 years to the day that I became partner and manager of Smalls Jazz Club. All I can say is that it's been the most transformative years of my life. I cannot fully express the debt and gratitude that I feel to all of the beautiful musicians, fans, staff and public that have made these six years so incredibly special. Smalls and the preservation and dissemination of Jazz Music is my life's work. Thank you all for your support and your friendship. God bless everyone!

Love,

Spike"487476_10151447573770546_866925602_n.jpg

Edited by alocispepraluger102

"Tuesday and Wednesday we have a very special appearance from jazz legend Scott Hamilton. If you've never heard Scott you should take this opportunity as his New York concerts are fairly rare. We will also be recording both nights for our label, SmallsLIVE. Scott's group is featuring the wonderful pianist Rossano Sportiello, bassist Hassan Shakur and drummer Chuck Riggs. This will definitely be an evening of swinging jazz and romantic ballads."

I heard Mark Whitfield's first set last night; that was pretty intense. I hope to hear more tonight. Followed by Brooklyn Circle featuring Stacy Dillard.

marks long long first set friday night was fabulous!!!!

tonight, sunday--------

7:30 PM to 9:15 PM

Chris Flory - Guitar

Joe Cohn - Guitar

-----------------------------------------------

the fabulous wilner drumless trio goes on about midnight(quartet when minnow is laying in/on. this group's interplay is wonderful, plus, i have a an extreme weakness for drumless trios. don't miss this group!!!

11:30 PM to close

Spike Wilner - Piano

Pasquale Grasso - Guitar

Paul Gill - Bass

http://www.smallsjaz...orId=0&banner=a

Champian Fulton - Piano-Vocalist

Steve Fulton - Trumpet

Marco Panascia - Bass

Pete Zimmer - Drums

a delightful light relaxed upbeat fun quartet up now wwith cahampian and her famous dad!!!!!

http://articles.cour...e-hampton-hawes

"Fulton talked to The Courant from her home in New York City, after a daylong session in the studio working on her next recording. Not yet named, the album features a guest appearance by her father, showcases Champian in trio, quartet and quintet formats, and will be released on Sharp Nine Records next March.

Q: Do you remember your first paid gig?

A: Yes, it was Clark Terry's 75th birthday party, a private affair. I had a little band and we were all under 12. We had had a couple gigs before, like in a school auditorium. Clark asked me to play at the beginning part of the party when everybody was eating.

We set up. We played the gig and even played "Happy Birthday." At the end of the night, Clark said, 'Come here, Champian,' and gave me the money for the band, which was all in cash. 'I'm going to teach you how to pay your sidemen,' he said to me.

So Clark gave me the money and said, 'You hand it to them, and this is what you say.' Then he gave me a little extra money and said, 'You're the leader. If you're the leader, you always need to make extra money.'

That was my first paid gig. It's a great memory because Clark always cared."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The John Fedchock NY Sextet

10:30 PM to 1:00 AM (two sets)

John Fedchock - Trombone

Walt Weiskopf - Tenor Sax

Scott Wendholt - Trumpet

Allen Farnham - Piano

Jay Anderson - Bass

Dave Ratajczak - Drums

Caught the second set by the Ari Hoenig group with Jean Michel Pilc on piano last night--that was one fantastic set. I was unable to catch the tenor saxophonists name.

it was really fine until the saxman joined their trio and broke the momentum. the tenorman was young phenon trevon pendicott, who is also a fine fine pianist. pilc is a fabulous pianist, a personal favorite. the tardo hammer trio opened. last was an enjoyable piano trio night.

FREE LIVE VIDEO TOMORROW AND THURS- THIS Wednesday, FEBRUARY 27th and Thursday, FEBRUARY 28th - 9:30 PM to 12:00 AM

featuring

The Taylor Eigsti Groups

2/27 w. Ben Williams - bs & Justin Brown - drms

2/28 w. Julian Lage -gtr, Scott Colley - bs, Antonio Sanchez -drms

Our Live Video Stream will be FREE for these shows. Simply go to our site, www.smallsjazzclub.com and click "Live Video"

a splendid tight polished nonet is up now playing splendid arrangements---

Lucas Pino
No Net Nonet
7:30 PM to 10:00 PM
Colin Stranahan - Drums
Glenn Zaleski - Piano
Matthew Jodrell - Trumpet
Lucas Pino - Tenor Sax
Desmond White - Bass
Alex LoRe - Alto Sax
Rafal Sarnecki - Guitar