($20 cover)

9:30 PM to 12:00 AM

Jay Collins - Flute

Mike DiRubbo - Alto Sax

Kenny Brooks - Tenor Sax

John Ellis - Clarinet

Brian Charette - Organ

Jochen Rueckert - Drums

Finally catching the last set by this group; they sound pretty good.

between sets, charette remarked that response to this ensemble was very good, but that he personally wasn't sure of it. he also said that he didn't need acclaim and solo space, stating that he just wanted to make good music.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the set, I ordered Music for Organ Sextette on Steeplechase.

This morning, I've been listening for the first time to Tyler Mitchell, Live at Smalls (Abraham Burton, Josh Evans, Spike Wilner, Eric McPherson). This might be the finest release so far in the CD series. Definitely the best Abraham Burton I've heard on record.

• 2 weeks later...

Free Live Video Stream this evening on www.smallsjazzclub.com

Wednesday April 24

6:00 PM to 8:45 PM
Tap Dance Jam! Hosted by Michela Lerman

Michela Marino Lerman - Tap Dancer ,

9:30 PM to 12:00 AM -
The George Burton Group

Stacy Dillard - Tenor Sax , George Burton - Piano , Luques Curtis - Bass , Rodney Green - Drums

Midnight to close - "Round Midnight" with: The Ben Van Gelder Group
Joe Sanders - Bass , Ben van Gelder - Alto Sax , Craig Weinrib - Drums

If you haven't had the chance to check out our live stream, here is a chance.

Just go to www.smallsjazzclub and click "LIVE VIDEO" today. We hope you enjoy the shows. If you've enjoyed it , we hope you consider becoming a subscribing member!
GEORGE BURTON IS A MAGNIFICENT PIANIST. LAST NIGHT, STACY DILLARD WAS AT HIS BEST!!!!
CLASSICALLY TRAINED BASSIST JOE SANDERS(IN THE MIDNIGHT SETS) IS AMONG THE INSTRUMENT'S UPPER ELITES, WITH TASTE TO MATCH.

This past week, I heard and enjoyed, Ari Hoenig's group with Tivon Pennicott, George Burton (only the last three songs of the appearance, I wish I had caught more), the Flail, and Stacy Dillard's Brooklyn Circle.

This coming week, I'm looking forward to, on Monday: Ari Hoenig (unusual drums with two tenors group), Friday and Saturday: Jimmy Greene Quartet, Friday, Tyler Mitchell after-hours, and after hours on Saturday, Stacy Dillard Brooklyn Circle.

starting their second set now, an interesting trio just winging it.

Ari Hoenig - Drums
Joel Frahm - Tenor Sax
Tivon Pennicott - Tenor Sax

This past week, I heard and enjoyed, Ari Hoenig's group with Tivon Pennicott, George Burton (only the last three songs of the appearance, I wish I had caught more), the Flail, and Stacy Dillard's Brooklyn Circle.

This coming week, I'm looking forward to, on Monday: Ari Hoenig (unusual drums with two tenors group), Friday and Saturday: Jimmy Greene Quartet, Friday, Tyler Mitchell after-hours, and after hours on Saturday, Stacy Dillard Brooklyn Circle.

burton's first set was fabulous!!! i would love to hear burton in a duo with joe sanders.

Free Live Video Stream Today and Tonight!
www.smallsjazzclub.com
Wednesday May 08
6:00 PM to 8:45 PM - Tap Dance Jam!
Hosted by Michela Lerman
Michela Marino Lerman - Tap Dancer ,
9:30 PM to 12:00 AM -
The Ed Cherry Trio
Ed Cherry - Guitar , Corcoran Holt - Bass , Chris Beck - Drums
Midnight to Close -
Benjamin Drazen Trio
Benjamin Drazen - Alto Sax , Brian Charette - Organ , Darrell Green - Drums

thurs. night

Melissa Aldana & The Crash Trio

Aldana/Mela/Menares

Francisco Mela - Drums

Melissa Aldana - Tenor Sax

Pablo Menares - Bass

Happy to be listening to this.

her trio was fabulous--long long probing sets-----------------

Hi Friends,

We are excited to share with you an afternoon of chamber music at Smalls Jazz Club this Sunday, May 12th, at 5PM (doors open at 4:30, so come a few minutes early to grab seats).

This is the first time that classical music will be performed at Smalls -- an event that also happens to coincide with Mother's Day! So please bring your moms, along with family and friends, and join us for some piano trios by Mendelssohn and Schubert!

Our trio:

Rebekah Durham, violin

Amy Kang, cello

Carlos Avila, piano

P.S. The $10 cover charge includes a glass of champagne!

NOW APPEARING(free live video feed)

the magnificent dayna stephens

The Doug Weiss Group
Dayna Stephens - Tenor Sax
Doug Weiss - Bass
Marvin ( bugalu ) Smith - Drums
stephens brought his formidable light and airy bari to the gig.

I caught the last 45 minutes and liked the group; I ordered the latest Dayna Stephens CD.

NOW APPEARING(free live video feed)

the magnificent dayna stephens

The Doug Weiss Group
Dayna Stephens - Tenor Sax
Doug Weiss - Bass
Marvin ( bugalu ) Smith - Drums
stephens brought his formidable light and airy bari to the gig.

Yes, I quite liked his baritone. I didn't know about his ailment.

hoping you caught some of his bari numbers. his touch with the bari is so feathery light and quick, his ideas are rapidfire, and his melodic lines are beautiful.

you may know that dayna needs a kidney transplant.

I caught the last set by the Steve Davis Sextet Saturday night , and a fine set it was in the Jazz Messenger vein. Larry Willis was a semi-regular house pianist at the Caravan of Dreams in the mid-1980s, and he's still sounding as good as ever.

Next week, I'm looking forward to the Brooklyn Underground festival for two nights.

Wednesday and Thursday Smalls will be hosting the Brooklyn Underground Jazz Festival. We generally do this every year and the program is a good mixture of bands from this organization. We'll be presenting three bands a night. On Wednesday is Owen Howard's band "Drum Lore", followed by vocalist Tammy Scheffer's sextet and then closing with Rob Garcia and his excellent group. On Thursday is Dave Smith's band followed by Dave Cook and his trio and then closing out the night with Adam Kolker and his excellent group. This is a lot of music packed into two nights. One cover gets you all the shows (per night) - so come on out and support Brooklyn in Greenwich Village.