Curtis Amy Select

undergroundagent

This badboy looks tasty!! :P

I've heard, at least, half the material, but I need a push. I'm looking to make a "final purchase" for a little awhile and it's between that or some Bobby Timmons (This here is...)/Junior Mance (Soulful Piano of Junior Mance) discs.

What should I do? :wacko:

Edited by undergroundagent

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like this collection. The first disk is straight organ and tenor soul. Amy always keeps it interesting with that vintage Texas blues wail. The session with Bobby Hutcherson, Frank Butler, and Carmell Jones is quite nice. The live material from the Lighthouse with Roy Ayers swings hard. Then there is the great Katanga.

This is a very enjoyable set. The inclusion of the vibes on a few of the sessions (either Bobby Hutcherson or Roy Ayers) is an added bonus, for me. I seriously doubt any of this music will be available in any other format any time soon, so get it while you can.

Most enjoyable to hear Amy's evolution from a pure "meat and potatoes" player to a somewhat more individualistic voice over the course of this set. Very enlightening AND entertaining to hear him adapt some of the more vocal aspects of what Trane was getting into at the time to his own voice, without ever becoming overtly (or even slightly, for that matter) imitative.

A real sleeper of a set, imo. Recommended.

Jim makes an excellent point. By the time of Tippin' On through, Curtis had definitely evolved from his meat and potatos texas tenor sax/organ sound. This is a great set, and aside from his Verve one-off and a set for Freshsound in the mid-90s, all that Curtis got to record as a leader. I hunted down each of these PJ recordings, but I'm glad to have gotten the Select from Santa Claus.

In my view, this is the best Select to come out. Of everything on this set, I really love Tippin on Through, which was recorded at the Lighthouse. Just fantastic live music. There is just no way you can go wrong if you buy this set. Just no possible way.

• 3 years later...

I'm glad to read all the positive reviews here on the Amy Select. I am curious though, I read the reviews on this set on the Mosaic site and the one common complaint is the organ sessions. Quite abit of negativity relating to those sessions. Anyone want to debunk those criticisms?

I'm glad to read all the positive reviews here on the Amy Select. I am curious though, I read the reviews on this set on the Mosaic site and the one common complaint is the organ sessions. Quite abit of negativity relating to those sessions. Anyone want to debunk those criticisms?

I'd rather not comment on those organ sessions... :)

I'm one of those who was hesitant about picking up the set solely because of the organ sessions. I didn't want it if I only enjoyed listening to 2 of the 3 discs. I don't remember what actually pushed me over the edge to pick up the set but I've come to enjoy all of it including the organ numbers. Paul Bryant doesn't play in a style that would automatically attract my ear and I wouldn't say that he is my favorite organist but it would have been wrong for me to avoid this set just because of his presence. I'm glad I got it and would recommend it.

Don't forget the Carmell Jones's great side on "Groovin' Blue", I would buy the set for it only.

In agreement here.

"Groovin' Blue" (or whatever the name of the date is with Carmell, which also includes Bobby Hutcherson(!), I might add) is nearly the equal of "Katanga!" in my book. :tup:tup

I don't specifically dislike the first two organ dates (all of disc #1), but discs #2 and #3 get the most spins for me.

Well worth the purchase price, especially if it's on sale.

It's only $36.46 delivered (US) at DeepDiscount.com.

Definitely less then NM PJ original vinyls, even if one dislikes the first CD of the set, it's a bargain. Obviously in my rig the original pressing sound better, but it's hard to find decent copies of Groovin Blue or Katanga! for less then 50$ each and overall the remastering of the Mosaic is fair.

So now you don't have any excuse. Buy it! :g

Edited by porcy62