Curtis Amy Select

undergroundagent

is the organ stuff like Johnny Griffin's Grab This with Bryant (which i really really like and recommend, it's a limited ojc so...)?

Yes. Oh, and I got that album FOR Bryant, not Griffin.

I really like Paul Bryant's playing, though his PJ and Riverside appearances don't quite do him justice. You have to find his two Fantasy LPs to get him at his best. (And you also get some superb Plas Johnson on those.)

This is a superb set. I had all of it except "Groovin' blue" on LP before I bought it, and "Katanga on CD as well, but wasn't deterred from getting the Mosaic. Decades of wonderful entertainment in this stuff.

MG

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is the organ stuff like Johnny Griffin's Grab This with Bryant (which i really really like and recommend, it's a limited ojc so...)?

I really like Paul Bryant's playing, though his PJ and Riverside appearances don't quite do him justice. You have to find his two Fantasy LPs to get him at his best. (And you also get some superb Plas Johnson on those.)

This is a superb set. I had all of it except "Groovin' blue" on LP before I bought it, and "Katanga on CD as well, but wasn't deterred from getting the Mosaic. Decades of wonderful entertainment in this stuff.

MG

thank you! seems like they forgot another volume in the Legends of Acid Jazz Series...

I've always thought this set -and the Carmell Jones - are good examples of what reissues should be all about - excellent music that hasn't been out a dozen times. For people who weren't around to pick up the originals (or, like me, couldn't afford everything we wanted!!), this is a must. Overall, Mosaic has done well by Pacific Jazz.

MG

thank you! seems like they forgot another volume in the Legends of Acid Jazz Series...

No, they didn't forget. I wrote to Fantasy about a decade ago and suggested the release of these two, which would fit OK onto one CD, but they replied that they didn't want to release it, thanks.

MG

No, they didn't forget. I wrote to Fantasy about a decade ago and suggested the release of these two, which would fit OK onto one CD, but they replied that they didn't want to release it, thanks.

MG

you didn't ask about the Azar Lawrence Volume, I guess... good to know, that they knew what they did (although we probably have to admit that Legends of Acid Jazz Paul Bryant and Legnds of Acid Jazz Azar Lawrence wouldn't have stopped the Concord thing)

MG

MG

Part of me understands their decision in that few people knew or remember Paul Bryant. But with Plas getting so much solo space, they certainly could have promoted by referencing the "Pink Panther Saxophonist". I only wish that my copies of his Fantasy albums were a lot cleaner than they are.

Up with this thread as this set is one of the Mosaic August special offers. I'll be getting it for sure (along with the Dizzy Reece set - finally! :excited:)

Is there a list of all August special offers?

From a recent Mosaic e-mail:

AUGUST PROMOTION- 12 MOSAIC SELECTS & 6 MOSAIC SINGLES ON SALE

TAKE A SECOND LOOK AND DISCOVER SOME TREASURES

With the amount of music available, it can be difficult to find the time to uncover hidden gems. We've issued over 25 Mosaic Selects and 15 Mosaic Singles over the past few years and there are some treasures that we want to make sure hits your radar screen.

These are wonderful artist collections that may not have gotten the attention they deserve and to induce a closer look we are placing some of these items on sale through the end of August.

Full Length Audio Clips - For many of these sets we have obtained the rights to offer full length audio clips that are available on the website.

TWELVE MOSAIC SELECTS ON SALE THROUGH AUGUST

Regularly $44; On Sale in August for $39!

Mosaic Select: Bennie Green (MS-003)

In 1958, Bennie Green signed with Blue Note and made three impressive albums, Back On The Scene, Soul Stirrin' and Walkin' & Talkin'. On Soul Stirrin', the trombonist made his masterpiece with Gene Ammons, Billy Root, Sonny Clark, Ike Isaacs and Elvin Jones.

Mosaic Select: Paul Chambers (MS-005)

Beautiful tone, fluid technique and a magnificent sense of swing

Mosaic Select: John Patton (MS-006)

Explosive & In The Groove. With guitarist Grant Green and drummer Ben Dixon, he formed Blue Note's funkiest house rhythm section.

Mosaic Select: Curtis Amy (MS-007)

The bluesy drive of a great Texas tenor. Curtis Amy had a beautiful sound and a style that was both muscular and lyrical.

Mosaic Select: Shank/Cooper (MS-010)

Bud Shank and Bob Cooper, like their inspirations Charlie Parker and Lucky Thompson respectively, play with passion and a natural sense of swing, regardless of setting or material.

Mosaic Select: Dizzy Reece (MS-011)

What emanates from Dizzy Reece's trumpet is a big, brash sound that seems to come from turn-of-the-century New Orleans; yet his solos dance with delightful, modern melodic strains.

Mosaic Select: Liebman/Beirach (MS-012)

Coming of age in the late '60s, saxophonist David Liebman and pianist Richie Beirach are virtuosos on their instruments. It has enabled them to take the lessons that they learned well from Miles and Trane and create exciting, often tumultuous jazz of the highest creative order.

Mosaic Select Andrew Hill (MS-016)

On the five sessions in this set, his palette moves from trio to quartet with string quartet to sextets. Their common denominator is Andrew's brilliant improvisations and unique compositions.

Mosaic Select: Johnny Richards (MS-017)

Powerful brass lines, intricate reed passages and well-placed dissonance.

Mosaic Select: Freddie Slack (MS-018)

The boogie woogie craze made Freddie Slack a star but his little big band offered a range of music from boogie and blues to swing and ballads.

Mosaic Select: The Pacific Jazz Piano Trios (MS-019)

Four creative forces. This set reinstates a number of important piano recordings by Richard Twardzik, Russ Freeman, Jimmy Rowles and Clare Fischer made for Pacific Jazz and Liberty.

Mosaic Select: Charles Tolliver (MS-020)

A quartet with a big sound and bold ideas.

SIX MOSAIC SINGLES ON SALE THROUGH AUGUST

Regularly $15; On Sale in August for $13!

Bud Feeman - Chicago/Austin High School Jazz in Hi-Fi (MCD-1002)

Bud Freeman and Jack Teagarden on top of their game.

Al Cohn - The Brothers (MCD-1003)

Intensity with a low flame and high heat. This was the first and only meeting by this tenor triumvirate and their improvisations are meticulously driven by a rhythm section headed by Hank Jones.

Art Blakey - Hard Bop (MCD-1005)

Beyond Blakey's always magnificent and contoured drumming, this quintet's strongest asset was the beautiful, tart blend of Jackie McLean's alto sax and Bill Hardman's trumpet.

Slide Hampton - Drum Suite (MCD-1007)

A Max Roach showcase including guest artists Freddie Hubbard, Yusef Lateef and Tommy Flanagan.

Lee Wiley - West of the Moon (MCD-1008)

Wrap yourself in the warmth and sensual delivery of Lee Wiley.

WEBSITE REGISTRATION

We have added a new feature to our website.

As of June 25th, 2007 you may register on the site as a "new customer". You will be asked to enter a password. After you enter your information on this first order with this password, you will not need to enter and address information on future orders.

If you wish, you do not need to register but can continue the checkout process without registering.

There has been some confusion regarding this feature and what constitutes a "new customer". Please note that even though you may have been a customer of Mosaic Records for years, unless you register on the website with a password, the website will not recognize you since you never had the opportunity to register with a password prior to June 25th.

(Please note do not reply to this email as it cannot be delivered.

You may e-mail us at info@mosaicrecords.com)

Sincerely,

All of us at Mosaic Records

www.mosaicrecords.com

www.truebluemusic.com

info@mosaicrecords.com

35 Melrose Place

Stamford, CT 06902

203-327-7111

Edited by J.A.W.

MG

MG

Part of me understands their decision in that few people knew or remember Paul Bryant. But with Plas getting so much solo space, they certainly could have promoted by referencing the "Pink Panther Saxophonist". I only wish that my copies of his Fantasy albums were a lot cleaner than they are.

Me too - I have a decent clean copy of "Somethin's happenin'" - a UK mono pressing. But my copy of "Groove time" is a home tape.

I really NEEDED that double CD!

MG

• 6 months later...

I'm listening to the organ tracks again right now, and they rule!

"Goin' Down, Catch Me A Woman." Whoa yeah!

It's been too long since I gave this one a spin. This music will clean the cobwebs off the top of yer winders and mop the floor! (Oh shit, but I have carpeting...)

• 8 years later...

Was able to get this set at a good price, but there was no booklet included. Mosaic can sell it for $10 +shipping. Sounds a bit steep for CD-sized booklet. Those of you who have the set- is it expansive and informative enough to justify a purchase?

Appreciate your help.

35 minutes ago, mandrill said:

Was able to get this set at a good price, but there was no booklet included. Mosaic can sell it for $10 +shipping. Sounds a bit steep for CD-sized booklet. Those of you who have the set- is it expansive and informative enough to justify a purchase?

Appreciate your help.

That's $14 with shipping.  Not worth it in the internet age to me, though it would likely pay for itself if you resell the set.

It has the original liner notes to the six albums contained in the set (all but one by John William Hardy) plus a one-page "post-script" from Cuscuna, three color repros of some of the original albums, and some black and white photos of Amy and other musicians who took part in the sessions.  Fairly typical Select booklet.  I'd want it, but I'm a hopeless completist.

gregmo

• 5 years later...

Just unpacked a parcel from a Swiss discogs seller (they call themselves Vesuvio Records and used a pizza box for packing ....) as they had an affordable copy in good condition of a Pacific Jazz sampler I always wanted to have:

R-6197695-1419697367-9296.jpeg.jpg

It turns out the take of This Is The Blues on this sampler is different from the one on Amy/Bryant's The Blues Message LP and the Select. So Mosaic missed a take! (They also could have included the one track from a McCann session in the Select - this was reissued on the CD version of Les McCann in New York).

The 1968 reissue of that sampler dropped some of those cuts! Maybe all of them?!?!?!

R-11326756-1514304652-9667.jpeg.jpg

R-11326756-1514304655-3993.jpeg.jpg

The PJ JAZZ MILESTONES series was all reissued material (except for the Wes thing where they added strings?), but this has to be a first, reissuing a record with none of the original cuts on it!!!!!

1 hour ago, mikeweil said:

Just unpacked a parcel from a Swiss discogs seller (they call themselves Vesuvio Records and used a pizza box for packing ....) as they had an affordable copy in good condition of a Pacific Jazz sampler I always wanted to have:

R-6197695-1419697367-9296.jpeg.jpg

It turns out the take of This Is The Blues on this sampler is different from the one on Amy/Bryant's The Blues Message LP and the Select. So Mosaic missed a take! (They also could have included the one track from a McCann session in the Select - this was reissued on the CD version of Les McCann in New York).

Coincidentally, this LP also features Bobby Hutcherson's debut recordings (as a sideman). :) 

Here's a little write-up about the LP on my Hutcherson site.

By the way, does your LP smell like pepperoni? ;)

43 minutes ago, JSngry said:

The 1968 reissue of that sampler dropped some of those cuts! Maybe all of them?!?!?!

The PJ JAZZ MILESTONES series was all reissued material (except for the Wes thing where they added strings?), but this has to be a first, reissuing a record with none of the original cuts on it!!!!!

That is very strange.  Why not just change the title to Vol. 2 or 3 or whatever?  Then it's a new compilation with new selections. No potential for confusion.

Edited by HutchFan

Pacific Jazz was Libty by then, but Richard Bock was still involved. I'm thinking that Pacific Jazz put out more samplers than any other "jazz label", so, these were just more of the same, and they are all reissues, so technically...

That new Volume 2 is pretty good actually. It has a lot of stuff that even now is overlooked.

I guess the question now is if the OG Vol. 2 also had any alternate takes?

46 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

By the way, does your LP smell like pepperoni? ;)

No - seems like they got stock of boxes from a pizza service that closed due to the pandemic. Box shows no signs of use with foodstuffs.

s-l1600.jpg

The Amy/Bryant track here has the same duration as the one on the LP, so it may be identical.

That said - those Pacific Jazz samplers are a pain in the ..., discographically. Edited versions, alternates - all without notice.

Those two World Pacific compilations are erntirely different affairs.

13 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Those two World Pacific compilations are erntirely different affairs.

Which is odd, because the rest of that series is either full albums or compilations of the artist in question, not edited...except for one take of "Carson City Stage" on a Mulligan/Baker comp that...I don't know where that came from.

But they kept at it with te samplers up until the very end!

R-3354863-1327086688.jpeg.jpg

R-3354863-1466794169-9043.jpeg.jpg

and doubling down on the editing!