Curtis Amy Select

undergroundagent

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Just unpacked a parcel from a Swiss discogs seller (they call themselves Vesuvio Records and used a pizza box for packing ....) as they had an affordable copy in good condition of a Pacific Jazz sampler I always wanted to have:

R-6197695-1419697367-9296.jpeg.jpg

It turns out the take of This Is The Blues on this sampler is different from the one on Amy/Bryant's The Blues Message LP and the Select. So Mosaic missed a take! (They also could have included the one track from a McCann session in the Select - this was reissued on the CD version of Les McCann in New York).

By the way that Jackie Davis was (I strongly believe) a 45-only release with Harold Land. Unless there was an alternate used for this LP?

The French get the better covers:

Screenshot 2021-08-26 141947.jpg

When looking at 45 edits, one should always consider the jukebox. Blue Note would often split an LP cut over two sides of a 45, so that's one way to get two plays for a record. This is another way, make two shorter cuts out of two LP cuts. Same thing with DJs.

Calling James Harrod!!! What can you dig up about the L.A. area jukebox trade in jazz and jazz friendly venues?

Pacific Jazz released a considerable number of 7" 33rpm records, meant for DJs, or radio play, or juke boxes? 

The single Harold Land track with Jackie Davis seems to be a one shot affair. I cannot find any other tracks with about the same personnel or whatever. The two compilations, btw, have different edits of that same track - the one on the LP I just bought unfortunately is the shortened version.

And yes, it would take someone like James Harrod to sort out all the different versions of tracks Richard Bock used on his compilations, and list the CD reissues they were added to as bonus tracks. Fresh Sound thought about some, Cuscuna used some, but both overlooked a few.

Edited by mikeweil

10 hours ago, JSngry said:

Has this made it to CD, tucked into something?

Pacific
Jazz
Billy Higgins
Me And My Lover
Up In Teddy's New Flat

I don't know if its still the case, but it hadn't been issued when a kind board member sent me all of these PJ 45s many years ago - Billy singing, and the Harold Land/Teddy Edwards combo too.

21 hours ago, JSngry said:

I don't know, they did?

Here ar some:

R-13117890-1548362954-4051.jpeg.jpgR-9033468-1473614248-9928.jpeg.jpgR-9033497-1473614647-3551.jpeg.jpg

21 hours ago, JSngry said:

Has this made it to CD, tucked into something?

Pacific
Jazz
Billy Higgins
Me And My Lover
Up In Teddy's New Flat

Yes:

sunset-eyes-teddy-edwards-quartet-comple

https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/teddy-edwards-albums/5471-sunset-eyes-teddy-edwards-quartet-complete-recordings-4-lps-on-2-cds.html

As I said, Cuscuna overlooked this like so many other oddities, I won't blame him, as there is no definite Pacific Jazz discography, but he could have looked into Lord.

Even Jordi Pujol didn't catch all of them!

I love this single - I love these vocal tunes by jazz instrumentalists. Reminds of Kenny Dorham's "Chicago" for Debut which remained unissued until the OJC CD. I always play this several times in a row.

32 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

As these Fresh Sound things go, this is a pretty good combination. Getting the Higgins vocal out is worthwhile, and the Gloria Smyth record is pretty enjoyable, I've had it for a while. (And now that I think about it, I am virtually certain I used the Higgins vocal on a BFT, a long while ago.)