Favorite new BN release from the last 5 years???

Rooster_Ties

I just wish he wouldn't be so afraid to get excited by a record once in a while.  His reviews are all so understated.

Yes, you nailed it there. Show a little emotion Jurek, why doncha?

I wonder now how Mr. Ware feels about that Grammy acceptance speech he prepared. Poor lug.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish he wouldn't be so afraid to get excited by a record once in a while.  His reviews are all so understated.

Yes, you nailed it there. Show a little emotion Jurek, why doncha?

I wonder now how Mr. Ware feels about that Grammy acceptance speech he prepared. Poor lug.

I picture Ware chasing Jurek down the street bashing him repeatedly over the head with the most recent printed version of the AMG.

Edited by John B

Back to the topic at hand: one I really dig is Ron Carter's So What, with Kenny Barron and Lewis Nash. Technically it came out six years ago, but that's close enough. This one is hardly ground-breaking, but it's a fine example of straightforward, straight-ahead, urbane and elegant jazz. Plenty of fine musicianship, of course, and some neat little twists and surprises to keep things interesting. The engineer really captured Carter's bass beautifully, too, so you can really appreciate the details.

Dumb question probably, but is there any way for someone to post a complete listing of all of of the BN releases (new studio & live recordings, not reissues) from the last 5 years? I agree with alot of the favorites that people have posted, but it would be interesting to see if there are titles that have been overlooked but worthy.

-Erik

• 2 weeks later...

going back off-topic again, gotta love teh Jurek. This time I quote from his review of "The Sorcerer Sessions" release.

"this music — could not have been executed in this manner without this particular group of musicians seeking to forge — from the composer's music — an entirely new evolutionary sound that exists not only outside genre, but reconsiders the time and space continuum as inclusionary, inseparable, and limitless. The Blue Series Continuum has given us a recording worth considering for years to come. Along with David S. Ware's Threads, the Thirsty Ear label has given us, in 2003, two recordings that marry composition to improvisation in new ways, with new dictates and concerns. They are a pair of the most profound albums to come out of the jazz idiom in a very long time. This is aural dynamite and will challenge your accepted notions about not only jazz and classical music, but about the role of music in your life."

This is also, somewhat akin to the situation with Threads, the only positive review of this disc that I have read so far.

Oh, I've always got time for Jurek bashing.... ;)

You've probably seen this Charlie Wilmoth review of the same disc, a carefully executed demolition job:

http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/1290

I haven't heard it myself, largely 'cuz I've been giving it a wide berth--I did my penance with Threads. However, I'm also impressed that Jurek's managed to get all hot & bothered about Kalaparush & the Light's Morning Song--

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A2hq6g4gztv2z

--as it's a pretty crummy disc. He's also inexplicably high on Ted Sirota's Breeding Resistance, which is not a bad disc but has certainly got some pronounced ups & downs:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=A1ckvu3raan7k