Favorite new BN release from the last 5 years???

Rooster_Ties

What is your single favorite BN release, from anything released on the label in the last five years???

(I'm talking about newly recorded material, stuff recorded within the last five years.)

Me?? Without thinking about this very much, I'm temped to say...

e888098zop0.jpg

Greg Osby - Symbols of Light (A Solution) (from 2001)

I'll think it over some more, and revisit this thread again in the next day or so -- and see if I think of anything else that tops "Symbols...".

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Stars by Moran. Review and discussion.

Black Dahlia sounds great in theory but at times too close to moody elevator music in practice. (The Penguin Guide wonders if it's ultimately "brainy easy-listening.") The stripped-down parts with the lonely trumpet solos and so forth work great, but the full orchestral writing can get really schmaltzy for my tastes. I'd rather listen to the L.A. Confidential soundtrack, any day. (Awesome, awesome film, btw.)

Both Konitz/Haden/Mehldau discs, even if Mehldau often gets on my nerves here sometimes with his just-TOO-damn-precise phrasing. Lee is in exquisite, topper than top form, so relaxed and so lyrical, and Charlie's with him every step of the way.

They'll be reissuing these as "classics" further on up the road. Bet on it.

Both Konitz/Haden/Mehldau discs, even if Mehldau often gets on my nerves here sometimes with his just-TOO-damn-precise phrasing. Lee is in exquisite, topper than top form, so relaxed and so lyrical, and Charlie's with him every step of the way.

They'll be reissuing these as "classics" further on up the road. Bet on it.

I myself have also been playing these for Konitz & Haden. Mehldau plays a bit too pretty for my tastes, although he does seem to control himself in that respect on these sides.

Most have been mentioned, but those that come to mind are:

- Jason Moran, Black Stars

- Greg Osby, Banned in New York, Symbols of Light

- Joe Lovano, 52nd Street Themes

- Mark Shim, Turbulent Flow

- Bill Charlap, Written in the Stars

- Bill Stewart, Telepathy

- Jacky Terrasson, Alive

- the Konitz/Mehldau/Haden discs (though I do not listen to them very often)

and one that falls out of the given time frame, but deserves honourable mention:

- Tommy Flanagan, Sunset And The Mockinbird

Then I have to say I did not pick up all releases I would like to have (partly due to the f*#@ing copyright controlled CDs over here), as the latest Moran, the latest Osby, the Solal - I will order them from the US some day...

ubu