Leo Records Sale

Д.Д.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leo did the same thing late last year

I bought a truckload of CDs from him last time - probably do the same again this year

trying out Simon Nabatov with my first order - any advice from fans out there

"Master & Margarita" and "Chat Room" are very good. I am not familiar with his later stuff.

Leo did the same thing late last year

I bought a truckload of CDs from him last time - probably do the same again this year

trying out Simon Nabatov with my first order - any advice from fans out there

The solo Herbie Nichols recording is very interesting.

would have pounced on that (any Herbie Nichols material) but it's a bit recent & not in the sale list

Any thoughts on The Golden Years of Soviet New Jazz? I've always been intrigued by these box sets.

They are worth it, even at full price. An interesting shelf-clearing exercise of unreleased tapes and old Leo lps. At least one disc per box set is excellent. I highly recommend the Guyvoronsky/Volkov, Homo Liber, Orkestrion, Chekasin and Vysniauskas discs. Some interesting stuff on the Andrew Solovyev/Igor Grigoriev and Vapirov discs as well.

I have promised myself not to buy anything but I couldn't resist this wonderful sale so I ordered 40 cds , including all those Golden Years of the Soviet New Jazz (vol 1-4). I will buy more in December if there are any interesting cds left. 40 cds delivered to Finland only around 146 Euros. What a bargain :)

Any thoughts on The Golden Years of Soviet New Jazz? I've always been intrigued by these box sets.

They are worth it, even at full price. An interesting shelf-clearing exercise of unreleased tapes and old Leo lps. At least one disc per box set is excellent. I highly recommend the Guyvoronsky/Volkov, Homo Liber, Orkestrion, Chekasin and Vysniauskas discs. Some interesting stuff on the Andrew Solovyev/Igor Grigoriev and Vapirov discs as well.

I consider these 4 sets essential documents of late 20th century Soviet jazz/improv, especially vols I (Kuryokhin, Ponomareva, Vapirov) & IV (Ganelin members)

Get these while you can, especially at these prices

The Soviet jazz discs are an acquired taste -- I'll probably be the only dissenting voice on those sets. But then again, I am not a fan of the Ganelin group either. I always found the Leo records catalogue to be daunting to explore, because of many of the artists on their label. One of the artists I did take a chance on are the Actis Band -- sounds like right up my alley for genre bending musical gynmastics. Or musical turrets......

The Golden Years series, on the other hand, are no brainers. The Jazz Bunker, African Tapes, Cassava Balls and the Sun Ras are all must haves.

I was mildly tempted by the Anthony Braxtons but to be honest, his Arista years are the high points for me. Perhaps someone can set me straight on the Leos.

Snakish featuring Wadadah Leo Smith looks promising, so I ordered a copy.

All the Fonda/Stevens Group discs are recommended, but I prefer the FAB trio more (Billy Bang and Barry Altschul!!).

Any other recommendation?

Edited by Stefan Wood

Put in an order. Wanted to point out for the curious that the William Parker/Joelle Leandre cds are outstanding, wonderful duo bass music.

How do you order? I was putting 10 cds in the PayPal cart, but when the time came to "send" the money, no discount was applied.

I directly email Leo Feigin with my list (plus some alternatives JIC) - he has my CC details

Leo Feigin <leorecords@blueyonder.co.uk>