Leo Records Sale

Д.Д.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 10 months later...

A few recommendations:

After Appleby is superb - maybe not on the level of 50th Birthday Concert - and Natives and Aliens (also with Crispell) is very nice - but is missing the ow out quality of the live 2 CD set AA.

Joe Maneri Quartet - Let the Horse Go is very good - better than Get Ready to Receive Yourself (both have great titles!!!!)

Ivo Perelman's Sad Life, Seeds Visions and Counterpoint and Siero are my favorite recordings of his. All from ~ 1996.

A few recommendations:

After Appleby is superb - maybe not on the level of 50th Birthday Concert - and Natives and Aliens (also with Crispell) is very nice - but is missing the ow out quality of the live 2 CD set AA.

Joe Maneri Quartet - Let the Horse Go is very good - better than Get Ready to Receive Yourself (both have great titles!!!!)

Ivo Perelman's Sad Life, Seeds Visions and Counterpoint and Siero are my favorite recordings of his. All from ~ 1996.

Ordered the Appleby. Been meaning to get it for years - thanks for the push, Steve

Tempting indeed.

Not Leo but CIMP, but earlier I went for the two CDs of mostly Andrew Hill compositions (and one Wayne Shorter and George Coleman each) by this band. Ten Compositions (quartet) 2000 CIMP #225 and Nine Compositions (Hill) 2000 CIMP #236. Highly recommended.

Edited by erwbol

Hm, okay ... the three Braxton Standards 4CD sets - tempting! Which one would be the most recommended if it shan't be all three?

My order of preference (first to last) is 23 -20 -19. Not much to choose between 23 and 20 really. I think there is a bit of drop-off to 19, you could probably live without it if you have one or both of the others, but I'm glad to have it, and all three for that matter.

I really want Sad Life, with Ivo Perelman, William Parker and Rashied Ali. Alas, it seems like the warehouse hasn't yielded a box of these in a while!

Sad Life is listed as "Sold Out" on the Leo site. Check out this link:

http://www.leorecords.com/?m=catalogue&price=Z

I was surprised to find some of these "sold out." Or put another way, surprised how many titles were sold out. I got my Sad Life some years ago; can't recall where I got my copy.

That is disappointing. I feel like I'm constantly playing catch up with artists known and unknown to me.

Anthony Braxton Quintet (2004) London Royal Festival Hall has also sold out. :o I'm glad I finally bought it in the recent past. When I tuned in to the BBC Jazz On 3 broadcast in 2004 and heard Jez Nelson describe the gig as life changing the music was still too far out for me.

That is disappointing. I feel like I'm constantly playing catch up with artists known and unknown to me.

Anthony Braxton Quintet (2004) London Royal Festival Hall has also sold out. :o I'm glad I finally bought it in the recent past. When I tuned in to the BBC Jazz On 3 broadcast in 2004 and heard Jez Nelson describe the gig as life changing the music was still too far out for me.

Damn, I've slept on the RFH 2004 disc for too long. I was at the gig - very good, maybe not life-changing though :)

edit to add:copies still available at Amazon.UK. One less than a few minutes ago

Edited by mjazzg

The Nabatov Nichols tribute is great, as is the Braxton Quartet (Moscow).

I'll second that Braxton Moscow disc.

I know that's true for me too, and probably for most of us. That's the great thing about this music: it keeps unfolding and we keep chasing. :)

Edited by Leeway

Damn, I've slept on the RFH 2004 disc for too long. I was at the gig - very good, maybe not life-changing though :)

There are still copies available for under £10 at amazon.co.uk.

I really want Sad Life, with Ivo Perelman, William Parker and Rashied Ali. Alas, it seems like the warehouse hasn't yielded a box of these in a while!

Sad Life is listed as "Sold Out" on the Leo site. Check out this link:

http://www.leorecords.com/?m=catalogue&price=Z

I was surprised to find some of these "sold out." Or put another way, surprised how many titles were sold out. I got my Sad Life some years ago; can't recall where I got my copy.

It's been sold out for years. Not easy to find although I doubt it would be expensive on the secondhand market. Live, on Zero In, is also pretty sick.

Hm, okay ... the three Braxton Standards 4CD sets - tempting! Which one would be the most recommended if it shan't be all three?

I like the first one, 23 Standards, the best. Great versions of "Giant Steps," "Ill Wind" and "Ju Ju." The second one, 20 Standards, has a few memorable moments, but I find I rarely play it. Never made it to the third set.