Complete Collections?

colinmce

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am pretty sure I have all of Hank Mobley's commercially released recordings with the exception of Archie Shepp's "Yasmina, a Black Woman", which I never got around to getting and don't seem to miss yet. :)

The version of "Sonny's Back" on that LP is really cool. As the years progress, I find I actually like that side of the album more than the sidelong orchestra piece.

I am pretty sure I have all of Hank Mobley's commercially released recordings with the exception of Archie Shepp's "Yasmina, a Black Woman", which I never got around to getting and don't seem to miss yet. :)

The version of "Sonny's Back" on that LP is really cool. As the years progress, I find I actually like that side of the album more than the sidelong orchestra piece.

This.

With Dolphy, I find myself hindered by some of his early sideman stuff, the LJQ and that Lockjaw date. Don't ever see myself picking any of those up.

All of Lou Donaldson except the material with Brownie. (And, yes, even the trashy ones.)

Now that, mister, is unforgivable!

eselsmuetzen.jpg

Now will you please put on one of these and stand in the corner until called back!

Don't have anything against those sides - haven't heard them. Couldn't justify getting the Mosaic for those sessions.

Just remembered I have all but one of Johnny Lytle's albums - 'Does it again' PJ.

MH

The LD Mosaic doesn't have any of the Clifford Brown stuff-- that's all on Brownie's Complete BN/PJ Recordings box. The Mosaic is just several late 50s hard bop dates with the usual suspects, most of which never showed up on CD outside Japan.

Oh, even less reason to spend that money!

I have almost everything by Don Patterson and Melvin Rhyne, too. I may complete these soon ....

What Don Patterson's don't you have Mike? I believe I have them all (a couple courtesy of you :))

It's only the one Stitt Roost LP I don't have - I just can't make up my mind to get the Mosaic box just for that one album ...

I'm pretty sure I have all of Ornette's leader appearances in one form or another. I probably also have 60-80% or so of his sideman appearances--I'm just missing a handful of stuff I've either put off buying or haven't been able to track down in physical form (including that Rolf Kuhn album, the Geri Allen album he's on, the Al McDowell Time Peace album, two of the Jamaaladeen Tacuma albums he's on, and I think that's it). I've also managed to track down most circulating concert recordings from the pre-80's period (i.e., everything up to and including Of Human Feelings-era Prime Time), but the sheer volume of bootleg recordings after that point gets pretty intimidating.

Brief perusal of racks--I must have 80-90+% of Andrew Hill, Dolphy, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Albert Ayler, Marion Brown, Art Ensemble of Chicago, and anything involving the Blue Notes/Brotherhood of Breath. Like a lot of people, I'm pretty sure I have all if not most of the Coltrane from the Atlantic period onward. Most of this has to do with papers/analyses I've had to write, incidentally. I guess it doesn't look like a disorder until you actually see it all in one place...

Living the life of a musician/obsessive in the digital age, I've found it's actually pretty easy to accumulate/collect discographies from even obscure artists. I'm not talking about sharity blogs per se, but rather the fact that the one or two (for example) Air albums I'd had trouble tracking down maybe ten years ago are now up on Amazon for very cheap (or mixed into some relatively economical boxed set). I made a conscious effort a while back to avoid ordering stuff online (specifically the huge, conglomerate sales orgs--like Amazon or ebay) to keep record store buying interesting, but the market is deflating and it's harder and harder to find obscure stuff in the bins these days. I've found that current trends in availability of documentation have made it easier for me to "obtain" stuff, but much harder for me to "get" stuff (if you dig).

I think I have every studio session ever recorded by Sinatra, every air check ever issued on cd, and all the live performances, including the poor-sound Acrobats. I'm sure there is loads of private stuff out there I've never heard, of course, but if it's been issued, I think it's taking up (a lot) of space on my shelves!

gregmo

Yeah, I wouldn't claim to "own" copies of anything downloaded. That stuff - and there's not a lot of it, for me, comparatively - I don't even consider to be a collection. They are just reference copies. Some archivists might disagree with me, but literal format matters.

Literal format? That might make sense if music was a literal art. :) While avoiding a digression into the metaphysics of what it might mean to "own music," I have always understood what we usually talk about under that banner to be having immediate access to the sound itself. In that case, the tin disc, vinyl disc, magnetic tape, or whatever is just the medium for providing that access, just like a computer full of MP3s. Right?

He may want to hold it in his hands and not just in his ears.

Saying that, yes, a case could be made that a hard drive is

just another physical container of sound.

It's been years since I saw the movie, The Man Who Fell to Earth -

actually in the theater the month it was released IIRC - but I think I

remember a scene in it where someone (Bowie?) places some kind of

a handheld globe on top of a mechanism that plays the music contained

in the globe(?) I thought that was the coolest way of listening to music -

to have it all available within something that could fit in your hand.

Well, of course I dig "music" and one could argue that hard drives, tape, CDs and LPs are all just "containers." From an archival/media storage perspective that's true. But I do like to have something to contextualize the sounds - images/artwork, a certain tactile sense, something to read and learn from. Not everyone agrees but I think you can understand where I'm coming from.

Well, of course I dig "music" and one could argue that hard drives, tape, CDs and LPs are all just "containers." From an archival/media storage perspective that's true. But I do like to have something to contextualize the sounds - images/artwork, a certain tactile sense, something to read and learn from. Not everyone agrees but I think you can understand where I'm coming from.

I suspect the money is no longer there to do it, but there's nothing beyond the tactile element that could be done on an LP or cd sleeve that can't be there online.

In fact the possibilities are more flexible - the performer can keep adding to it.

Hey, they can keep tinkering with the recording as well. Instead of waiting for a 40th Anniversary corrected version the performer could fiddle with it whenever they wanted to.

The potential for alternate takes becomes infinite.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Yes, I love all that is Frank. I found "Four Horns and a Lush Life" on Bethlehem in a vinyl shop on a recent trip. I didn't know of that one before.

I've been working on Frank Rosolino for years. He did a LOT of sessions, some of them pretty obscure.

gregmo

pretty close with Booker Little

working my way through Eric Dolphy, Joe Harrriott (need more CD reissues), Hank Mobley

Anyone have a Booker Little discography. I'm a completist on this one!