Complete Collections?

colinmce

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I love all that is Frank. I found "Four Horns and a Lush Life" on Bethlehem in a vinyl shop on a recent trip. I didn't know of that one before.

I've been working on Frank Rosolino for years. He did a LOT of sessions, some of them pretty obscure.

gregmo

pretty close with Booker Little

working my way through Eric Dolphy, Joe Harrriott (need more CD reissues), Hank Mobley

Anyone have a Booker Little discography. I'm a completist on this one!

Alan Saul's discography is very helpful (also a good Eric Dolphy discog)

http://adale.org/Discographies/Booker.html

Yeah, I wouldn't claim to "own" copies of anything downloaded. That stuff - and there's not a lot of it, for me, comparatively - I don't even consider to be a collection. They are just reference copies. Some archivists might disagree with me, but literal format matters.

Agreed - it's easy enough to download a torrent of many artists' complete discographies in a couple of clicks. (Legality notwithstanding.)

There are a few artists whose work from certain periods I will always pick up if I stumble across it at the right price - Duke, Morricone, Sun Ra, Yusef Lateef, Cal Tjader in the 50s and 60s, almost anything on Blue Note from the 50s or 60s - but that is a little different from consciously attempting to acquire everything.

Good lord, that Sinatra collection must be HUMUNGOUS!!!!

MG

It ain't small! Box sets have helped. Victor, Columbia, Capitol, and Reprise have all issued complete boxes (including the marvelous Sinatra in Hollywood set). It's the live stuff and radio airchecks that keep the life of any Sinatraphile...interesting.

gregmo

I guess it's possible to have recorded music without owning it?

If I illegally download Louis Armstrong group recordings from the 1920s* do I then have "hot" Hot Fives and Sevens?

* copyright expiration questions aside

** "hot" colloquial English for "stolen"

And if you were to dispose of the evidence, where would they find it? (other than on your FAT (still used?) if you hadn't reformatted your HD or anything)

I have everything in hard copy (lp and/or cd) of James Blood Ulmer -leader and sideman -except some 8bar solo with a heavy metal band??? and Roots -Phrenology

I have everything in hard copy (lp and/or cd) of Grant Green -leader and sideman -except the Dodo Greene, Harold Vicks Steppin Out and the Joe Carroll.

I have everything in hard copy (lp and/or cd) of John Patton -leader and sideman -except the Red Hollaway, and the one on Alvin Queen's label with Melvin Sparks.

I also have a complete Ringo Starr solo discography up to 1979 - accept for Beaucoups Of Blues - which I will get when I see an affordable near mint UK vinyl available.

Oh I haven't got the recentish Blood Ulmer on the 'In And Out' label, but I recently heard it on Spotify :g It's a great listen.

Edited by freelancer

I have everything in hard copy (lp and/or cd) of John Patton -leader and sideman -except the Red Hollaway, and the one on Alvin Queen's label with Melvin Sparks.

Goodness! Do you have all the records he made with Lloyd Price for ABC late 50s/early 60s? (Patton's on piano. He composed at least one of the songs; 'Where were you on our wedding day'.) If you've got these, please let me have the details; I'd love to get them.

Johnny Griffin/MatthewGee 'Soul groove'?

Johnny Lytle's 'Everything must change' (on electric piano)?

The two Jimmy Ponders - 'Mean streets, no bridges' & 'Jump'?

Art Blakey's 'Hold on, I'm coming' (under the name of Malcolm Bass)?

Fred Jackson's 'Cowbell boogie' - the sole usable track from a BN session - included in 'The lost sessions'? (Patton's on piano.)

A lot of these aren't obvious targets for a Patton collector.

MG

Goodness! Do you have all the records he made with Lloyd Price for ABC?

Johnny Lytle's 'Everything must change'?

MG

Actually MG you've made me realise I have a couple of holes in the collection. I haven't got any of the Lioyd Price, not that I wouldn't enjoy it, but I guess I see the discography starting with Along Came John. I know that's wrong, but still... I haven't got/heard of the Griffin...I would love to have/hear that. The Ponders I have on 32Jazz re-issue, but in all honesty I think I sold it off and made a digital copy. Now the Blakey I ordered from Japan on cd years ago, before the internet, but it never came through, so I settled on a jazzblog download. I genuinely forgot I didn't have a hard copy of that. Not one I return to for listening much actually. Possibly why I never bothered to track down the expensive Japanese cd after the internet made it much easier. (Is it true it was recorded on the same day as The Grass Is Greener? or was that Laughing Soul?). I also haven't got the Jimmy Smith with Patton playing tambourine either :D

So you have exposed my incomplete completism :D However you won't be able to find any holes in my GG or JBU :)

btw, do the Lloyd Price band sessions identify the players. So many great players passed through that band, I would love to hear Pat Martino playing for instance. But I have never begun to do any google research into it.

Goodness! Do you have all the records he made with Lloyd Price for ABC?

Johnny Lytle's 'Everything must change'?

MG

Actually MG you've made me realise I have a couple of holes in the collection. I haven't got any of the Lioyd Price, not that I wouldn't enjoy it, but I guess I see the discography starting with Along Came John. I know that's wrong, but still... I haven't got/heard of the Griffin...I would love to have/hear that. The Ponders I have on 32Jazz re-issue, but in all honesty I think I sold it off and made a digital copy. Now the Blakey I ordered from Japan on cd years ago, before the internet, but it never came through, so I settled on a jazzblog download. I genuinely forgot I didn't have a hard copy of that. Not one I return to for listening much actually. Possibly why I never bothered to track down the expensive Japanese cd after the internet made it much easier. (Is it true it was recorded on the same day as The Grass Is Greener? or was that Laughing Soul?). I also haven't got the Jimmy Smith with Patton playing tambourine either :D

So you have exposed my incomplete completism :D However you won't be able to find any holes in my GG or JBU :)

btw, do the Lloyd Price band sessions identify the players. So many great players passed through that band, I would love to hear Pat Martino playing for instance. But I have never begun to do any google research into it.

Oh yes, I forgot about 'Rockin' the boat' :)

Price. All I have is the single of 'Where were you on our wedding day'. I've never seen any original Price LPs from '59-'61, but my mate had one (title not known), in the sleeve note of which Price forecast that Patton would become a major player. One I sold when I was desperately poor was 'This is my band' (Double L, 1963), arranged by Slide Hampton and with Fred Jackson pictured among the band on alto!

And hey! The Griffin/Gee is on Collectables!

MG

Is the Hank Marr album w/Ulmer readily available anywhere?

Unfortunately no. Only on it's original vinyl. I put up a youtube audio of the whole LP

Talk about greazy. That album is grease personified. If you haven't heard it, here it is.

If anyone can help with identifying the drummer I would be most obliged. (and so would the drummer probably :D

My link

Edited by freelancer

I don't think I have the absolutely complete recorded works of anyone except a few bluesmen who didn't record that many sides. But I'm pretty close with:

Jelly Roll Morton

Willie Humphrey

Boyce Brown (including the never-reissued Collectors Item 78)

Charlie Parker

Sigurd Rascher.

There are a few tracks by each one of these guys I don't have, but only a few.

Edited by jeffcrom

I'm sure I have every recording by Oscar Peterson. I just picked up my fifty-seven thousandth, eight hundred and forty-eleventh recording, the one where Oscar sings with Hobo Joe and the Tabby Cats on K-Tel, issued on a wax cylinder under a Blue-Light special at Super-Kmart. Or was it Petsmart? So that's everything. No, wait. Did he record anything with Ray Brown? Oh, shit........

I guess it's possible to have recorded music without owning it?

If I illegally download Louis Armstrong group recordings from the 1920s* do I then have "hot" Hot Fives and Sevens?

* copyright expiration questions aside

** "hot" colloquial English for "stolen"

Legality is another question. Many of us, myself included, get the vast majority of our MP3s through legal purchases. It is also quite possible to steal CDs or LPs. If both of us order an album from Amazon, you the CD and me the MP3s, does that mean that you own the music and I don't?

• 1 month later...