As Serious As Your Life

Chuck recommended this one to me.

Point From Which Creation Begins: The Black Artists' Group of St. Louis by Ben Looker.

I found it very interesting. I have the Valerie Wilmer but haven't read it yet. I have gained, from a few TV appearances, the impression of an extremely drearily committed lady. I expect I'll get around to it in due course.

MG

Having been a close friend of Valerie for over forty years, I can attest to her commitment, but I assure you that there is nothing dreary about her. I like the book very much and, in fact, played a small role in urging Val to write it (at least she says so in the opening paragraph of her acknowledgements).

You might also like her autobiography, "Mama Said There'd Be Days Like This."

I have the Valerie Wilmer but haven't read it yet. I have gained, from a few TV appearances, the impression of an extremely drearily committed lady. I expect I'll get around to it in due course.

Never have seen/heard her, but I've always enjoyed her writing very much, including the book which is the subject of this thread.

And for an absolutely outstanding collection of her absolutely outstanding photographs, look for this one here:

138125.JPG

Very, very very nice stuff.

'As Serious As Your Life' is a must-read for anyone interested in the developments of jazz music!

Another excellent book is Jason Weiss 'Always in Trouble'

Appreciate all the suggestions. I've read a fair amount and really found As Serious As Your Life one of the more engrossing, satisfying histories on the subject. Wilmer's work is outstanding.