MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

2012 was a great year for my Giants and with Brian Wilson coming back, it should make for another tight race in the NL West.

My predictions:

The Giants will make another run at it.

The Dodgers will attempt to buy the World Series with their new-found deep pockets.

The Orioles will be the team to beat in the AL East.

The BoSox are making a comeback.

The Yankees will continue to fall and A-Rod will take the blame.

Dusty Baker won't win the big one...again.

And Chicago Cubs will finally pull it together.

102812-13-MLB-Giants-Bruce-Bochy-OB-PI_2012102901163182_660_320.JPG

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you sure you want Wilson back, especially if he can be traded for prospects (and/or more)?

Romo looked really good and is a lot younger. And he has the same beard! :g

Not saying I'd trade Wilson right away, but if Romo holds up, he (Wilson) could yield a nice return, I'd think.

Where Josh Hamilton goes will be interesting, from all that I've read, the Rangers don't want him back, and I imagine any contract he does sign will have clauses galore in case of a relapse. It seem to me that there's too much milage on his body, and very heavy baggage he's carrying to any team that signs him.

Tim Lincecum will be fascinating because he needs to change his approach after a disastrous regular season. There were indications toward the end of the season that the Giants coaches and front office were getting tired of him always going his own way in terms of weight, training, off day throwing, warm up routines -- no one wants to pay 22 million for a head case that's not any good. Brian Wilson will be making a comeback, and who knows about him, all I know about him is that his act of "look at me, I'm soooooo offbeat!" routine is getting very tiresome. Giants also have to figure out who they will re-sign in the infield as Theriot and Scutaro will be free agents, and I don't see both coming back. Huff will also go, and the have to make a decision of Freddy Sanchez.

The Dodgers will be average next year, they don't have the players, and all these former Red Sox players are the very definition of useless.

Edit for spelling

Edited by Matthew

The Nationals have a few days to sign Adam LaRoche before he tests the free agent market. His agent is going for a contract lasting more years than DC would like. He missed most of '11 with an injury, then had a career year in '12, which makes it a tough call. I hope we sign him to three years.

Sean Burnett is also likely to become a free agent. Wish we could hold on to him. He's been a big part of the bullpen's success, such as it has been.

Edited by Neal Pomea

Brian Wilson is coming back.

Where Josh Hamilton goes will be interesting, from all that I've read, the Rangers don't want him back, and I imagine any contract he does sign will have clauses galore in case of a relapse. It seem to me that there's too much milage on his body, and very heavy baggage he's carrying to any team that signs him.

Tim Lincecum will be fascinating because he needs to change his approach after a disastrous regular season. There were indications toward the end of the season that the Giants coaches and front office were getting tired of him always going his own way in terms of weight, training, off day throwing, warm up routines -- no one wants to pay 22 million for a head case that's not any good. Brian Wilson will be making a comeback, and who knows about him, all I know about him is that his act of "look at me, I'm soooooo offbeat!" routine is getting very tiresome. Giants also have to figure out who they will re-sign in the infield as Theriot and Scutaro will be free agents, and I don't see both coming back. Huff will also go, and the have to make a decision of Freddy Sanchez.

The Dodgers will be average next year, they don't have the players, and all these former Red Sox players are the very definition of useless.

Edit for spelling

I agree.

Lincecum needs to dial it up and quit the pot if he's going to be a starter again.

OTOH, pitching him in long relief has been a huge success story.

I further agree that the Dodgers will struggle to find their place in the very competitive NL West. Josh Beckett isn't the guy to make anything positive happen.

The Nationals have a few days to sign Adam LaRoche before he tests the free agent market. His agent is going for a contract lasting more years than DC would like. He missed most of '11 with an injury, then had a career year in '12, which makes it a tough call. I hope we sign him to three years.

Sean Burnett is also likely to become a free agent. Wish we could hold on to him. He's been a big part of the bullpen's success, such as it has been.

With some maturity, the Nats are going to be one scary team.

Edited by GoodSpeak

The Rangers will let him test the market and then get back to them with what it would take for him to stay. Unless he offers them a deal that factors in the fact that he is indeed on the wrong side of the the aging curve and the "body mileage" arc and that he's a certifiable head case who's probably got 2-3 really good years left in him, and then only if everything goes just right, then he'll be back.

And if all of that happens, I'll be able to escape gravity simply by standing up.

This just in: Dodgers failed to renew contracts on Juan Rivera, Todd Coffey and Matt Treanor [no surprise here].

Balfour is staying with the A's.

Are you sure you want Wilson back, especially if he can be traded for prospects (and/or more)?

Not saying I'd trade Wilson right away, but if Romo holds up, he (Wilson) could yield a nice return, I'd think.

OTOH, with Romo as the set-up man to Wilson, the Giants will be deadly in the late innings.

This just in: Dodgers failed to renew contracts on Juan Rivera, Todd Coffey and Matt Treanor [no surprise here].

OTOH, with Romo as the set-up man to Wilson, the Giants will be deadly in the late innings.

IF Wilson comes back the same as he was.

IF Wilson comes back the same as he was.

Good point.

But he's fairly young still...I'm thinking he'll be ready.

He'll turn 31 right around the end of ST next year...you gotta at least consider the possibility of moving him if everything else is lining up. Might be the best time to do it, in terms of potential return. The old maxim about better to trade a year too soon than a year too late, etc.

Then again, pitchers are the most unpredictable lot imaginable, and you can never have too many even possibly good ones (unless they're named Roy Oswalt...).

Tribe will trade Shin-Soo Choo (walk year, Boras client) reducing by 50% their supply of major league outfielders (Michael Brantley, the only useful piece from Sabathia trade, remains, for now). They will also try to trade Chris Perez, handing the closer job to Vinnie Pestano (whom I believe can handle the job at least as well as CP). Would not be shocked if Asdrubal Cabrera is also dealt. If the current pattern follows, they will not get much in return (either in talent, or hope). Retreads of retreads will be signed in the hopes of resurgent years that will fail to materialize. Otherwise, rooting for Kipnis, Chisenhall, and other young guys (while continuing with Nationals and other hobbies). Hopefully Terry Francona can work some magic (meaning return to mediocrity with flirtations of over-achievement in AL Central). He expressed some confidence/excitement with the Tribe "up the middle" (meaning Cabrera, Kipnis, Brantley, and Carlos Santana). I'm not as optimistic, but I guess if I had his job, I would need to be.

At least the Grady Sizemore/Travis Hafner era, which showed so much promise way back when, has finally ended (...gazillions of dollars/dozens of injuries later).

Unrelated questions: How can any pitcher have the name "Balfour"? Or a DH, "Fielder"?

He'll turn 31 right around the end of ST next year...you gotta at least consider the possibility of moving him if everything else is lining up. Might be the best time to do it, in terms of potential return. The old maxim about better to trade a year too soon than a year too late, etc.

Then again, pitchers are the most unpredictable lot imaginable, and you can never have too many even possibly good ones (unless they're named Roy Oswalt...).

Or Ryan Vogelsong.

I would think some of the free agents this year will be sorely disappointed. The Yanks will not be major players in any way except for one year deals. GM Brian Cashman is under orders to reduce the payroll to get below $189Mil for 2014 when large luxury tax penalties kick in. The infield alone is around $80Mil!

I would think some of the free agents this year will be sorely disappointed. The Yanks will not be major players in any way except for one year deals. GM Brian Cashman is under orders to reduce the payroll to get below $189Mil for 2014 when large luxury tax penalties kick in. The infield alone is around $80Mil!

They can always try their luck with the West Coast Yankees [the team formally known as the Dodgers] ^_^

Pascual Perez dies in home invasion robbery. Sad news. Good pitcher, of course, as a Padre fan, I mostly remember him for the infamous Padres brawl with the Braves.

Yeah I heard about that, sad story. I remember Perez from the 82 Braves, the year I got into watching every game on TBS. He had a good year for them then iirc, but never really built on it.

MLB Network does hot stove shows and on today's afternoon edition one of the headlines is "Giant Steps"

Wonder if anyone on the staff knew/knows of the jazz connection to the term?

I wonder if anyone cared about the statistics.

Giants won in spite of that nonsesnse.

I'm sorry Mike...you were saying?

Edited by GoodSpeak

Ladies & Gentlemen, here are teh new uniforms of the 2013 American League Houston Astros!

mlb_i_astros_b1_600.jpg

It's like it's 1965 again, only...a different 1965! :alien: :alien: :alien:

Jose Altuve looks oddly Ron Brand-ish.

We're in uncharted territory.

All because Bud Selig, (who is neutral, of course ) didn't want his beloved Brewers to make the logical move to the American league. As we all know, having Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, and Milwaukee, in the same division just makes no geographical sense rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

edit for spelling

Edited by Matthew

Looks like I was ahead of the curve when I bought a retro Astros cap last year that is the blue model with H and star!

I much prefer this uniform, anyway. I believe the '65 uniform had the word Astros but with a swoosh of some sort to suggest a shooting star, no?

I remember Ron Brand!

Edited by Neal Pomea