MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

Eric-Chavez-throws-ball-at-Cody-Eppley.gif

I take it his Gold Glove winning days are over.

In the limited role the Yanks used him for Chavez actually played pretty well. His body is rather brittle, so he can't play everyday or he'll break down, but as an occasional 3b/1b/Dh he was just what the Yanks needed/need. Right now it's third base, I don't know!!!

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really feel sorry for the part of the family who are Dodgers' fans.

Next year's salary will be $340.87 million when you add in the luxury tax. That's without adding in today's signing of Ryu Hyun-jin for $36 million on top of the $25.7 signing post to his team in South Korea.

And they still might not be finished.

The only one of the new players worth his contract at the moment is Adrian Gonzalez.

It's like they're overcompensating so much for the whole parking lot guy that it's like Steinbrenner on crack during the gory years.

WTF? are they going to have to pay Clayton Kershaw after the monopoly money they're throwing around?

Edited by Blue Train

I really feel sorry for the part of the family who are Dodgers' fans.

Next year's salary will be $340.87 million when you add in the luxury tax. That's without adding in today's signing of Ryu Hyun-jin for $36 million on top of the $25.7 signing post to his team in South Korea.

And they still might not be finished.

The only one of the new players worth his contract at the moment is Adrian Gonzalez.

It's like they're overcompensating so much for the whole parking lot guy that it's like Steinbrenner on crack during the gory years.

WTF? are they going to have to pay Clayton Kershaw after the monopoly money they're throwing around?

Its $240 million, with the luxury tax, from what I understand.

And they'll have plenty of money to pay Kershaw - their new cable deal pays $250 million a year! Their cable money makes payroll, which is far and away the biggest budget item, and they haven't accounted for the money made from 3 million fans per year, or the humungous amount of money that the league will be getting, and distributing to the owners, from national tv rights sales.

Before today's signing it was $263.59. The only way it's less than the $348.87 is does the deferred money and posting money count for the luxury tax?

http://www.mikesciosciastragicillness.com/Outside of Adrian Gonzalez would you really want anyone else they acquired in the last year for the money they're going to have to pay them?Kershaw is already better than Greinke ever was....what is he going to cost if Greinke is worth $147 million over 6-years?

Edited by Blue Train

And, as I understand it, the Astros' 2013 payroll is looking like it's going to be right around $30,000,000.00.

So, for one Dodgers team, you can have eight Astros teams.

Not that anybody would want to do that...

Just what is the CBA minimum payroll right now? I know after yet another fire sale by the Marlins after they screwed Dade-County without lube for $2.3 billion for a new stadium....it's around the same amount.

Before today's signing it was $263.59. The only way it's less than the $348.87 is does the deferred money and posting money count for the luxury tax?

I don't know what your link was to ... but here's another source:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/08/dodgers-at-around-233-million-for-2013-but-can-add-more/

Furthermore, 36 million over 6 years adds ... presumably six million to their 2013 payroll. And, posting fees are not calculated for luxury tax purposes.

I don't really care about the logic of these salaries, I only know that the team has the revenue to support them.

I think its the teams like the Astros and Marlins, who can put an absolute piece of shit product on the field and laugh all the way to the bank where they count all the millions they've made from TV rights and revenue sharing.

Reality is that we might as well start getting used to even more ludicrous baseball contracts. The game is awash in money and that money is going to chase the biggest free agents. Unless you're an owner who only wants to bank the money yourself.

<p>

http://hardballtalk....t-can-add-more/

Furthermore, 36 million over 6 years adds ... presumably six million to their 2013 payroll. And, posting fees are not calculated for luxury tax purposes.

I don't really care about the logic of these salaries, I only know that the team has the revenue to support them.

I think its the teams like the Astros and Marlins, who can put an absolute piece of shit product on the field and laugh all the way to the bank where they count all the millions they've made from TV rights and revenue sharing.

Reality is that we might as well start getting used to even more ludicrous baseball contracts. The game is awash in money and that money is going to chase the biggest free agents. Unless you're an owner who only wants to bank the money yourself.

Not sure why you can't see it but here it is again. Who knows how much it adds to next year's salary. It could be front loaded as well.http://www.mikescios...gicillness.com/Taking out the posting fee it's $237.86. With the luxary tax and without knowing exactly what is being added it's now $279.48.

Edited by Blue Train

<p>

Not sure why you can't see it but here it is again. Who knows how much it adds to next year's salary. It could be front loaded as well.http://www.mikescios...gicillness.com/Taking out the posting fee it's $237.86. With the luxary tax and without knowing exactly what is being added it's now $279.48.

Still trying with your link.

But more to the point: Above you claimed their payroll is $340 million. Now you're down to $280. How's that?

And how the hell do you come up with one six year/36 million dollar contract raising the 2013 payroll by almost 42 million dollars??? That's some seriously fucked up math.

<p>

Still trying with your link.

But more to the point: Above you claimed their payroll is $340 million. Now you're down to $280. How's that?

And how the hell do you come up with one six year/36 million dollar contract raising the 2013 payroll by almost 42 million dollars??? That's some seriously fucked up math.

Maybe this will help: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/breaking-down-zack-greinke-signing-050340056.html

And, as I understand it, the Astros' 2013 payroll is looking like it's going to be right around $30,000,000.00.

Just what is the CBA minimum payroll right now?

I think the minimum individual player salary = $485K.(?) That means a minimum ML team salary is $12,125,000.

What's really wild is that their team payroll at this moment (i.e. - deals that are actually signed) is only $850,000.00. They'll be signing more players, obviously, but right now they've only got one player actually on the payroll, Phillip Humber.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/

Other than that, nobody's signed for 2013. Nobody!

As money is no object for the Dodgers w/ the cable deal I get the appeal in a way - grab the best available righty to compliment the mighty Kershaw. But man, the similarity scores on baseball-reference are kind of scary for that kind of money.

Comparing him to a pitcher's life's work:

James Shields

Ben Sheets

Larry Christenson

Rick Reed

John Montefusco

Juan Guzman

Erik Hanson

Comparing only thru age 28

Alex Fernandez

Andy Benes

Bill Gullikson

John Smoltz (finally a likely hall of famer!)

Ismael Valdez

Larry Christenson

Josh Beckett

Mark Gubicza

They were (or are with Shields) very good pitchers and a few had one season that was lights out, but other than Smoltz not a one looks like a hall of famer. Oh well, if he stays healthy he should put up some pretty numbers at pitcher friendly Dodger Stadium as long as they don't get stupid and put some iron gloves in the infield.

Crazy money as it is it makes a hell of a lot more sense than paying Michael Young.

Holy crap, I just saw the Rays got Wil Myers from the Royals. Compared to Trout & Harper he's an old man of 22 (turns on Dec. 10th) but he's shown deeply serious power in the minors. I love the trade and gumption of both teams as the Royals get Shields & Wade Davis, but I think it'd be a little tough for Royal fans who were waiting for Myers to be called up. Though hell, it's been so tough for Royals fans for 25+ years maybe now there's some hope with some pitching to add to the many fine young players already they have. Myers looks like a sure thing though - very tough to give up on that, and I'm glad for the Rays that they held on to Price. How I wish the Rays were located in Seattle...

Just what is the CBA minimum payroll right now?

I think the minimum individual player salary = $485K.(?) That means a minimum ML team salary is $12,125,000.

What's really wild is that their team payroll at this moment (i.e. - deals that are actually signed) is only $850,000.00. They'll be signing more players, obviously, but right now they've only got one player actually on the payroll, Phillip Humber.

http://www.spotrac.c...houston-astros/

Other than that, nobody's signed for 2013. Nobody!

That's what happens when you are fielding a AAAA team: everybody is under team control and will be signed in January and February. Do they even have anyone on their roster that is arbitration eligible? I imagine there are a few but the majority will probably just be renewed at the major-league minimum.

Eric-Chavez-throws-ball-at-Cody-Eppley.gif

I take it his Gold Glove winning days are over.

In the limited role the Yanks used him for Chavez actually played pretty well. His body is rather brittle, so he can't play everyday or he'll break down, but as an occasional 3b/1b/Dh he was just what the Yanks needed/need. Right now it's third base, I don't know!!!

I used to watch him play when he was with OakTown...even got to see one of his Gold Glove ceremonies. I'm glad he's still playing but thought he was much older than 35.

As money is no object for the Dodgers w/ the cable deal I get the appeal in a way - grab the best available righty to compliment the mighty Kershaw. But man, the similarity scores on baseball-reference are kind of scary for that kind of money.

Comparing him to a pitcher's life's work:

James Shields

Ben Sheets

Larry Christenson

Rick Reed

John Montefusco

Juan Guzman

Erik Hanson

Comparing only thru age 28

Alex Fernandez

Andy Benes

Bill Gullikson

John Smoltz (finally a likely hall of famer!)

Ismael Valdez

Larry Christenson

Josh Beckett

Mark Gubicza

They were (or are with Shields) very good pitchers and a few had one season that was lights out, but other than Smoltz not a one looks like a hall of famer. Oh well, if he stays healthy he should put up some pretty numbers at pitcher friendly Dodger Stadium as long as they don't get stupid and put some iron gloves in the infield.

Crazy money as it is it makes a hell of a lot more sense than paying Michael Young.

The Dodgers just plunked down another $36 million to get LH'er Ryu Hyun-jin. This on the heals of that mega-money deal for Greinke.

Apparently, bankruptcy doesn't mean what it used to any more.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of Kevin Youkilis being clean-shaven and in pinstripes. I don't know how fans will react - and I wish I could witness the first conversation with Joba the Asshole - but this feels different from Damon. The Red Sox made their offer and he left for more money from the Death Star. He deserved the boos. Youk though was traded because it was Will Middlebrooks' time and he didn't choose the Yankees over the Red Sox.

One thing is for sure - there will be no way to tell if Fenway is full of "Yooooouuuukkk" or "booooo"s when he shows up in pinstripes. I think we should agree now that if you don't hate him for being a Yankee, you need to cheer him, not serenade him with his nickname.

Bottom line really is that I can no longer hope he has a bounce-back season in him. May his bat continue to slow and his body continue to break down.