MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody's "interested" in Hamilton...including the Rangers. But there are so many variables that come into play, and only some of them are predictable (age) and/or manageable ("not feeling good"). At some point you'll also get flat-out weirdness of unpredictable and unmanageable intensity and duration, and then, at some further point you'll get it again. And again. After long enough, the whole risk-reward thing is nowhere as near clear-cut one way or the other, as it was when you looked at it the first time and then...it gets weird. Real weird.

I remember when Belinda Carlisle used to date Steve Garvey and go to Dodgers games.

Let them get good again (the Dodgers, that is, Belinda Carlisle done did all she can do), with all those high dollar$ shining in the Pacific sun, and it'll happen again.

Not literally, though...that would be weird..and not so glamorous, except in an Senator And His Ex-Wife knid of way...

belinda-carlisle-la-pride-2012-in-west_3936259.jpg

steve-garvey-and-ron-cey-2012-mlb-los-angeles-3c1q3H.jpg

Everybody's "interested" in Hamilton...including the Rangers. But there are so many variables that come into play, and only some of them are predictable (age) and/or manageable ("not feeling good"). At some point you'll also get flat-out weirdness of unpredictable and unmanageable intensity and duration, and then, at some further point you'll get it again. And again. After long enough, the whole risk-reward thing is nowhere as near clear-cut one way or the other, as it was when you looked at it the first time and then...it gets weird. Real weird.

I saw some rumors of some temas interested in Hamilton for 3-4 years only, which, if I'm a GM, seems reasonable. Beyond that, you're paying top $$ for a guy who's 35+ with a brittle body and other problems. Then again, Shane Victorino got 3years/$39 mil, so maybe reason is gone from baseball for awhile. It's so odd to me that the Yanks are sitting on the sidelines while everyone else(including some who criticized the Yanks for spending big) is spending $$ like drunken sailors. But the Yanks need to get under the magic $189mil mark to avoid a huge luxury tax.

I remember when Belinda Carlisle used to date Steve Garvey and go to Dodgers games.

Let them get good again (the Dodgers, that is, Belinda Carlisle done did all she can do), with all those high dollar$ shining in the Pacific sun, and it'll happen again.

Not literally, though...that would be weird..and not so glamorous, except in an Senator And His Ex-Wife knid of way...

belinda-carlisle-la-pride-2012-in-west_3936259.jpg

steve-garvey-and-ron-cey-2012-mlb-los-angeles-3c1q3H.jpg

I rather see Belinda Carlisle get better.

Sorry. Dodger hater since birth.

Tribe signs Joe Charboneau.......

Is that a good thing?

I saw some rumors of some temas interested in Hamilton for 3-4 years only, which, if I'm a GM, seems reasonable. Beyond that, you're paying top $$ for a guy who's 35+ with a brittle body and other problems. Then again, Shane Victorino got 3years/$39 mil, so maybe reason is gone from baseball for awhile. It's so odd to me that the Yanks are sitting on the sidelines while everyone else(including some who criticized the Yanks for spending big) is spending $$ like drunken sailors. But the Yanks need to get under the magic $189mil mark to avoid a huge luxury tax.

Angels went 5/125. Yes - five years.

Good luck with all that.

And tell me they're not feeling the glamor-heat from the Dodgers...

Not sure how glamorous an old Hamilton and an ancient Pujols will turn out to be, but the first year or two might be...interesting.

I get that, but there was actually some talk last year about how the Angels were looking to take over the Dodgers market, that they were getting kind of aggressive about it. Not living there, I don't know how accurate all that was, but it sure would explain why both teams are, imo, overpaying for talent. Especially the Angels...

Arte Moreno supposedly keeps worrying about his budget, but he does love them splashy signings...and Hamilton for five years, coupled with Pujols, for, like, what, 37 years? And giving CJ Wilson a deal like like he's 26 years old? That's for sure splashy.

Oh well, splash away!

Angels went 5/125. Yes - five years.

Good luck with all that.

And tell me they're not feeling the glamor-heat from the Dodgers...

Not sure how glamorous an old Hamilton and an ancient Pujols will turn out to be, but the first year or two might be...interesting.

I feel a little guilty that I forgot Pujols was on the Angels. Well...at least the Angels kept it at 5 years.

I get that, but there was actually some talk last year about how the Angels were looking to take over the Dodgers market, that they were getting kind of aggressive about it. Not living there, I don't know how accurate all that was, but it sure would explain why both teams are, imo, overpaying for talent. Especially the Angels...

Arte Moreno supposedly keeps worrying about his budget, but he does love them splashy signings...and Hamilton for five years, coupled with Pujols, for, like, what, 37 years? And giving CJ Wilson a deal like like he's 26 years old? That's for sure splashy.

Oh well, splash away!

Even with the Dodgers in shambles, the Angels have never had a chance of taking over LA baseball, there is zero interest in the Angels outside of Orange County.

On this signing: Well, good luck with Pujols and Hamilton in the same clubhouse, that is a terrible mix, and besides, the LA area is the last place Hamilton needs to be with his history. This has disaster written all over it. :tdown

Oh well, splash away!

Even with the Dodgers in shambles, the Angels have never had a chance of taking over LA baseball, there is zero interest in the Angels outside of Orange County.

On this signing: Well, good luck with Pujols and Hamilton in the same clubhouse, that is a terrible mix, and besides, the LA area is the last place Hamilton needs to be with his history. This has disaster written all over it. :tdown

My brother [who still lives down there] told me that when the new ownership changed the name [yet again] to Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem that was the thinking: To gain a market share of the LA fan base. Didn't work. But the team has no trouble putting fans in the seats from OC, East LA County, San Bernardino County and Riverside County.

The Dodgers, OTOH, couldn't fill the stadium if they were giving away free tickets. LA is a Lakers town now.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Oh well, splash away!

My brother [who still lives down there] told me that when the new ownership changed the name [yet again] to Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem that was the thinking: To gain a market share of the LA fan base. Didn't work. But the team has no trouble putting fans in the seats from OC, East LA County, San Bernardino County and Riverside County.

The Dodgers, OTOH, couldn't fill the stadium if they were giving away free tickets. LA is a Lakers town now.

Jim Buss is making sure that that won't last.

The same yapping idiots that wanted Hamilton gone in the first place (i.e. the local sports media) have been going on and on about this powerful Angels lineup that now features Hamilton and Pujols. Seems I recall Pujols had a disastrous year last year, pretty much singlehandedly kept the Angels outta the playoffs, if memory serves.

These same chuckleheads claimed that Hamilton will thrive because he's going to be "surrounded by stars." Uh huh. Because that's ALWAYS a good idea. Clearly, brains are not required to work in sports media....

I wish nothing but the best for Hamilton, because he was a HUGE part of the Rangers getting to their first and second World Series, playoff wins, etc etc etc. I realize sports is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately game, but if anyone around here has the gall to boo Hamilton when he returns, then I hope they choke on their Superdog. Not saying I wish he'd re-signed with the Rangers, but he sure as hell deserved a more graceful exit.

Furthermore, coming home empty-handed is a helluva lot smarter than blowing money just because the sports hounds say you need to make a big splash at the winter meetings. So many times the "big splash" has come back to bite the Rangers in the ass, a lot more times than I wish to remember!

Seriously, the way the Angels are spending money to lose, you'd think Tom Hicks & John Hart had taken over the franchise. I genuinely feel bad for Angels fans.

Edited by Big Al

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-fi-1202-ct-sports-cost-20121202,0,5996855,full.story

The new owners of the Dodgers are expected to get $6-billion-plus for the TV rights to their team's games.

That may be a big win for the home team, but consumers won't be doing high-fives once they see their pay-TV bills.

The average household already spends about $90 a month for cable or satellite TV, and nearly half of that amount pays for the sports channels packaged into most services. Massive deals for marquee sports franchises like the Dodgers andLakers are driving those costs even higher. Over the next three years, monthly cable and satellite bills are expected to rise an average of nearly 40%, to $125, according to the market research company NPD Group.

j. buss is a trainwreck.....

the yankees seem to have learned their lesson, kind of. now the angels, tigers, bosox, and dodgers have caught 'longterm' hallucinations.

You don't know shit from shinola. The Red Sox 'fever' broke last August with the big trade. They now sit something like 40 million dollars below the luxury tax threshold!

Paying a little over market on SHORT-TERM contracts is nothing like what the Angels and Dodgers have and continue to do. None of the contracts the Red Sox have signed this off-season will hinder them in any way going forward.

The team may suck but they were probably going to suck anyway.

the yankees seem to have learned their lesson, kind of. now the angels, tigers, bosox, and dodgers have caught 'longterm' hallucinations.

You don't know shit from shinola. The Red Sox 'fever' broke last August with the big trade. They now sit something like 40 million dollars below the luxury tax threshold!

Paying a little over market on SHORT-TERM contracts is nothing like what the Angels and Dodgers have and continue to do. None of the contracts the Red Sox have signed this off-season will hinder them in any way going forward.

The team may suck but they were probably going to suck anyway.

thx, dan--i forgot about the big trade.

Wait'll Nash comes back...it's a loooong season.

Oh yeah, now the Lakers' salvation is to be found in a 49 year-old point guard. Good times at Showtime! :bad:

Um...he's 38.

The same yapping idiots that wanted Hamilton gone in the first place (i.e. the local sports media) have been going on and on about this powerful Angels lineup that now features Hamilton and Pujols. Seems I recall Pujols had a disastrous year last year, pretty much singlehandedly kept the Angels outta the playoffs, if memory serves.

These same chuckleheads claimed that Hamilton will thrive because he's going to be "surrounded by stars." Uh huh. Because that's ALWAYS a good idea. Clearly, brains are not required to work in sports media....

I wish nothing but the best for Hamilton, because he was a HUGE part of the Rangers getting to their first and second World Series, playoff wins, etc etc etc. I realize sports is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately game, but if anyone around here has the gall to boo Hamilton when he returns, then I hope they choke on their Superdog. Not saying I wish he'd re-signed with the Rangers, but he sure as hell deserved a more graceful exit.

Furthermore, coming home empty-handed is a helluva lot smarter than blowing money just because the sports hounds say you need to make a big splash at the winter meetings. So many times the "big splash" has come back to bite the Rangers in the ass, a lot more times than I wish to remember!

Seriously, the way the Angels are spending money to lose, you'd think Tom Hicks & John Hart had taken over the franchise. I genuinely feel bad for Angels fans.

I dunno.

It could work yo the Angels' advantage, too.

Theoretically, the team has two big bats in the line-up. If both Hamilton and Puljols have great years, the Angels will be a tough out for the always competitive AL West.

Jerry Buss brought the Lakers 11 championships. I don't see that as a liability, TBH.

Yankees still have the largest payroll in the league. As to the BoSox, Angels and Tigers they are going about this fairly moderately. The Dodgers, OTOH, are clearly trying to buy their way into the WS.

Edited by GoodSpeak