MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, take heart: Maybe the AL will be a kinder, gentler place for the 'Stros.

Ha - I kinda doubt that - out of the frying pan into the jumbo frying pan.

I don't know any Astros fans that are actually excited about the move to the AL. It was forced on the team as a condition of sale from Drayton McLane to Jim Crane. So far Crane hasn't don't much to impress me. But we'll see.

BTW, slightly off topic, but does anyone remember the White Sox wearing shorts in '76? Bizarre!

960x595.jpg

Well, take heart: Maybe the AL will be a kinder, gentler place for the 'Stros.

Ha - I kinda doubt that - out of the frying pan into the jumbo frying pan.

I don't know any Astros fans that are actually excited about the move to the AL. It was forced on the team as a condition of sale from Drayton McLane to Jim Crane. So far Crane hasn't don't much to impress me. But we'll see.

BTW, slightly off topic, but does anyone remember the White Sox wearing shorts in '76? Bizarre!

960x595.jpg

I know a couple of Astro fans up here in Oregon who hate the move to the AL, hate the idea of the Astros using the DH, will miss some of the classic rivalries and have no hope for much good to happen this year, but they are happy that the team has come to them so to speak as they'll be able to see them in Seattle or Oakland. So there's that small base that's a little happy about it. And Mariner fans now have some hope they won't finish last this year.

As far as the ChiSox, I loved the red pinstripe home & blue away uniforms that preceded the shorty pants. If black ever goes out of fashion I'd like to see a return of that. The double knit SOX pullovers after were unusual though only a few players could pull it off. :lol:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=3&id=2104

Which deal is worse. Not counting the option years.

6-year contract to a pitcher who is 30.

8-year contract to a catcher who is 26

Of course, in a different sport....the Cowboys just gave a 33-year-old QB who always finds a way to lose....$55 million guaranteed.

Edited by Blue Train

I remember watching Giant games on tv from 1955-57. Two things I remember about the Polo Grounds: 477 feet to dead center (iirc) and watching the players from both teams walk out to center field to their respective clubhouses after the game.

My love for the Polo Grounds began when I read the book The Glory Of Their Times, way back when, the way those old time players talked about the PG was fascinating, almost like it was a living thing. Of course, I found everything in that book endlessly captivating, talk about science fiction, everything about that world was so strange and interesting to me, like people were living on another planet or something.

I remember watching Giant games on tv from 1955-57. Two things I remember about the Polo Grounds: 477 feet to dead center (iirc) and watching the players from both teams walk out to center field to their respective clubhouses after the game.

That's where Willie Mays made the famous 'Vic Wertz' catch, a HR in any ballpark today.

As a Cub Lou Brock homered over the CF fence (one of 4 players to do so with that alignment) and it was said it messed with his swing for a time afterwards as he believed he was a home run hitter. Hey, who wouldn't after doing that! (Of all things Aaron hit one over CF the day before).

In the late '80s I had an Amiga Computer and its version of Earl Weaver baseball came with old time parks plus you can design your own (and replicate historic ones of course). It was very cool to see how the short distances on the sides and a deep CF affected game play. If you really wanted to mess with things you could replace the grass with turf. :lol:

That's where Willie Mays made the famous 'Vic Wertz' catch, a HR in any ballpark today.

Yeah, but he caught it.

That is an amazing feat especially with that much ground to cover.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Yeah, but he caught it.

You did READ the post of mine that you quoted, where I said the 'Vic Wertz CATCH'?

Yeah, but he caught it.

You did READ the post of mine that you quoted, where I said the 'Vic Wertz CATCH'?

Yes, I did.

I was also referring to the 477 comment.

The Astros have the best record in baseball now + Rick Ankiel is Triple Crown...sure that wasn't an exhibition? An April Fool's joke from tomorrow that wormholed it here a day early?

Season not real until thread exists here. Matt Harrison & I would agree on this.