MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with Brad. I think there may be quite a few inductees next year, including Maddux, Glavine, Frank Thomas, maybe Biggio and Bagwell, Piazza. I even believe they will eventually induct Bonds and Clemens, and maybe not before too long either.

As for integrity, they couldn't bar Ty Cobb even though he was a hateful, mean, and troubled man whom even teammates hated. He was just too good. Would he have a hard time getting in today? Probably so.

I don't think the HOF needs to be fixed. The writers are reflecting today's values, as the writers of the past did in their time too.

OK, but here's the deal:

There are wife beaters, alcoholics, drug addicts/users, womanizers, adulterers, etc ad nauseum. What I don't get is why the writers suddenly draw the line a PEDs?

Again, PEDs do not create HR hitters and lights-out pitchers. Talent does that. And to even suggest that Bonds [who won several gold gloves, MVP awards and batting titles] and Clemons successes [who won 7 Cy Youngs] were all a result of PEDs is an absolute absurdity. If they don't get in the HOF is a joke.

Lastly, the writers are reflecting their own personal issues and not doing their jobs which is voting in deserving talent. That is just plain wrong and on so many levels.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Former San Diego shortstop, Enzo Hernandez found dead. Talk about a name from the past, I remember watching him play with all those terrible Padre teams. The stadium announcer alway made a big deal introducing him: "Number 11, shortstop, Enzooooooo HerNANdezzzzzzzz." RIP :(

I remember being confused that someone who played in San Diego always seemed to be wearing long sleeved shirts, not realizing that card photos were taken during the winter and that someone born Venezuela might not feel as warm as I would in that weather. The '75 card seemed pretty weird to me as it almost looked like there was a jacket underneath.

160px-enzohernandez.jpg?w=160

Between Enzo & Jackie (who was with the Pirates when I was a buying cards) Hernandez I was deeply suspicious that anyone named Hernandez could hit, so when Keith came up he had to "show me." :lol:

Edited by Quincy

The windbreaker-under-uniform look was not unprecedented.

True, I especially remember the Mets as the blue was so shiny. It's just that most of the time it was pitchers and so there's that whole "gotta keep the arm warm & loose" thing going on. And most of the others are from cities that have 4 seasons. But sunny San Diego? Given the way he hit I was suspicious he was trying to hide scrawny arms. Not that I would know anything about that. :lol:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/card-corner-1972-topps-bob-veale/

Baseball cards of the early 1970s are known for many attributes, not the least of which is the appearance of the dreaded windbreaker, or the warm-up jacket. During spring training, players of that era often wore windbreakers, in particular to deal with the early days of camp, when the weather tended to be cooler and windier. Some players would wear the windbreaker under their jerseys, an unusual look that became quite a trendsetting fashion in the early '70s. That little trick might have also been a way to sweat off a few extra pounds that had gathered on a player’s physique during the winter months.

So,um uh-er-ah, yeah, that's what I'm gonna be starting to be doing, wearing a windbreaker under my jersey to sweat off a few extra winter pounds. Healthy AND retro-chic!

Rangers sign Matt Harrison to a five year extension, which means that the now have Darvish, Harrison, Holland, and Ogando (none of them older than 28) all under club control for at least four more years.

There are worse places to be with your rotation...better places too, but all things considered, this is not a bad place to be.

The AL West will be a very interesting division this season -- The A's, Angels and the Rangers should all be good teams this year, might even get a wild card team out of the West.

I agree.

The AL West will be a real horse race.

The NL West will dial it up as well, what with the Dodgers buying all that talent. It'll be a three team race again this year.