MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus Christ

We sign Dice K

Jesus has a better slider.

So, the object of the game should be for the pitchers and the defense to get as many batters out in succession as possible?

That's how the Giants do it.

Just sayin'.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Potential bummer about King Felix: http://www.mlbdailyd...ers-in-jeopardy

The deal (yet another terrible signing) was finalized. If he's worth $175 million just imagine what Clayton Kershaw will get with the Dodgers spending money like drunken sailors. I really don't get these seven-year contracts for any position...let alone a pitcher. You're pushing your luck at 5-years. Has there really even been one that didn't turn out to be a disaster in the long run?

Edited by Blue Train

I really don't get these seven-year contracts for any position...let alone a pitcher. You're pushing your luck at 5-years. Has there really even been one that didn't turn out to be a disaster in the long run?

Ack! A couple of the best signings I could think of off the top of my head (and then looking up the contract) were Maddux by the Braves and Reggie by the Yankees. Both were 5 year deals though. Barry Bonds was signed for 6 by the Giants when he joined them so they got their money's worth there. But 7 years...for a pitcher? I suppose the comforting thought is that longterm big ass deals don't seem to make trades impossible.

To change the mood back to springtime bliss, by jove Felix will anchor a staff of young up & coming pitchers, Jesus will rise to Johnny Bench levels (with the LF fence moved in), Jason Bay will rediscover his Pittsburgh years mojo and the M's will have the deepest outfield in the AL. Ackley rebounds from the sophomore slump, Seager heads towards early prime production and the M's shock the West! Gotta love the hope around spring training. :P

*Edit - The Cards signed Pujols to 7 years in 2004. He was only 24 when the deal was signed. Brilliant! As Blue Train mentions, it's very hard to find long term deals that have proven to be wise investments. In the NBA the Spurs had a now expired 7 year deal with Tim Duncan which worked well for both parties.

Edited by Quincy

If you limit it to the sports with guaranteed contracts which isn't the NFL, which are more hype than anything....and those who actually finished the full 7+ years. It's a really a small list. Take out the NBA and it's just Jeter and the first Pujols....but teams keep handing them out.

Edited by Blue Train

I really don't get these seven-year contracts for any position...let alone a pitcher. You're pushing your luck at 5-years. Has there really even been one that didn't turn out to be a disaster in the long run?

Ack! A couple of the best signings I could think of off the top of my head (and then looking up the contract) were Maddux by the Braves and Reggie by the Yankees. Both were 5 year deals though. Barry Bonds was signed for 6 by the Giants when he joined them so they got their money's worth there. But 7 years...for a pitcher? I suppose the comforting thought is that longterm big ass deals don't seem to make trades impossible.

To change the mood back to springtime bliss, by jove Felix will anchor a staff of young up & coming pitchers, Jesus will rise to Johnny Bench levels (with the LF fence moved in), Jason Bay will rediscover his Pittsburgh years mojo and the M's will have the deepest outfield in the AL. Ackley rebounds from the sophomore slump, Seager heads towards early prime production and the M's shock the West! Gotta love the hope around spring training. :P

*Edit - The Cards signed Pujols to 7 years in 2004. He was only 24 when the deal was signed. Brilliant! As Blue Train mentions, it's very hard to find long term deals that have proven to be wise investments. In the NBA the Spurs had a now expired 7 year deal with Tim Duncan which worked well for both parties.

For Bay's sake, I hope so. He had several rough years with the Mets; they're still paying for this year.

Does anyone else think this might be the first October in recent memory with neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees in the post season?? The Yankees are beat up and old and I'm not sure if the Red Sox have the talent to compete with the Jays and the O's.

And the Yankees have lost Curtis Granderson for the first month of the season with a broken forearm.

Will probably make replacing the 100 or so HRs that left in the off-season that much tougher.

It is nice. I tend to downplay Ivan Rodriguez, but maybe I shouldn't......

Pudge in his prime was totally freakin' awesome. Then he had an injury, after which he was still very, very good, but...

btw...that article was written by "James" Gentile...I remember Jim Gentile as a not-spectacular gloveist, so who is this guy to talk, eh?