MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

Here's one for you Yanks!!

They should have named this Hurricane 'A-Rod.' Then it wouldn't have hit anything.

Ba-Da-BING!

Typical Yankee fan whine.

When A-Rod was "da man", the whole city loved him. Now that he's [was] in a slump, the whole city hates him.

Bunch of NYC whiners.

Ba-Da-BOOM!

Ladies & Gentlemen, here are teh new uniforms of the 2013 American League Houston Astros!

mlb_i_astros_b1_600.jpg

It's like it's 1965 again, only...a different 1965! :alien: :alien: :alien:

Jose Altuve looks oddly Ron Brand-ish.

We're in uncharted territory.

Ugh.

I hope they play better than they look. We already did this once.

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the '65 uniform had the word Astros but with a swoosh of some sort to suggest a shooting star, no?

1965uni.gif

Giusti3.jpg

Which a few years later morphed into:

1971uni.gif

Craig.jpg

Not as good.

No love for these?

HoustonAstros1977RainbowJersey.jpg

Ya' know, as time has gone by, those look better and better...but never really good. :g

I always think of Mike Scott pitching that no-hitter to clinch the division when I see the rainbow uni's

I always think of those as being part of MLB's Softball Uniform Era (remember the ChiSox wearing short pants?). But those Astros "rainbows" (as the hardcore Astros fans refer to them, apparently) are said to be the all-time fan favorites, so hey, right? They do have a certain unique charm to them.

I believe the '65 uniform had the word Astros but with a swoosh of some sort to suggest a shooting star, no?

1965uni.gif

I love the Jerry Seinfeld-Brian Regan conversation about "We can put a man on the moon but we can't do this?"

from Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIN8JzCjY_Y

go to 3:00

Edited by Neal Pomea

I hope the Dodgers go after B.J. Upton instead of Hamilton, Upton is much younger and has more of a up side career wise, than Hamilton, who, to my mind, is on the downside of his career.

Re: Rivera: From all that I've read, I guess that means that the Yankees will let Soriano go, though that is a tough one if Mo' doesn't make it all the way back. I wonder why teams let these Boras players have the "opt-out" year on their contracts? Doesn't make any sense to me, too often they leave a club in a lurch.

Edited by Matthew

I hope the Dodgers go after B.J. Upton instead of Hamilton, Upton is much younger and has more of a up side career wise, than Hamilton, who, to my mind, is on the downside of his career.

Re: Rivera: From all that I've read, I guess that means that the Yankees will let Soriano go, though that is a tough one if Mo' doesn't make it all the way back. I wonder why teams let these Boras players have the "opt-out" year on their contracts? Doesn't make any sense to me, too often they leave a club in a lurch.

If you ask me, it's because Boras has burned some bridges ala Barry Zito and other multi-year money pits.

If I was a GM, anybody with a contract with that greedhead isn't going to be my first choice. Besides, the Giants [and with their farm hands] and the A's have picked up decent talent for a fraction of the cost a big name would be...and put a successful team(s) on the field. Maybe this will be a positive trend toward bringing in ballpalyers instead of millionaire crybabies owned by Boras.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Elvis Andrus is a Boras client, and is hardly a crybaby. You'd be hard-pressed to find a more infectiously joyful young man playing the game today, in fact!

But I'm afraid I will be when Boras gets him a deal with somebody who is not the Rangers...

Good point.

All I'm saying is Boras has worn out his "welcome". Become a pariah, you might say. His players will pay for that.

I hope that Mariano has something left. If not, there's always hope that David Robertson can return to his 2010 form. I watched Soriano all year and he wasn't as good as his saves/blown saves record might indicate. He got himself in trouble in quite a few games - though he did get himself out of trouble most times. He was no Mariano. That said, I'd offer him a one year deal - two at the max. If he can get a better deal elsewhere, good for him.

Weird rumors flying around the internet that the Phillies are close to signing Josh Hamilton. I might just have to boycott the 2013 season if they do.

I take it you don't care for Hamilton, or is it that you think it's a bad move by the Phillies? I'm just curious as to why.

Why would I think signing Hamilton would be a bad move?? Forget for a minute that he will be 32 in May and that his numbers are trending downward. Forget that there are legitimate concerns about his ability to stay on the field and that he has past issues with substance abuse. Forget that Hamilton bats lefty and the Philllies already have two left handed hitters at 3 & 4 in their lineup(Utley & Howard). Forget that Hamilton will get a huge contract and that the Phillies have a ton of money($130 M for 2013) committed to about 8 players(Doc, Hamels, Utley, Howard, Rollins, Lee, Chooch, and Paps) with more pressing needs(3rd base, BP) to fill. Forget all that.

The real reason I don't want him on the Phillies?? He's is a streaky hitter.

Look the last thing the Phillies need is Josh Hamilton. A team bulging with players in their 30's that can no longer perform at the level of their bloated contracts wants to take on another bloated contract for a bible thumping player in his 30's with all kinds of on/off field issues?? In this town with its crazy fans??? What could possibly go wrong??

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Whoa. Ken Rosenthal says that the Miami Marlins have traded Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, and Mark Buerhle to the Toronto Blue Jays for Yunel Escobar, and Adeiny Hechavarria, Henderson Alvarez, prospects.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/miami-marlins-toronto-blue-jays-blockbuster-trade-jose-reyes-josh-johnson-mark-buehrle-yunel-escobar-emilio-bonifacio-111312

They should just remove baseball from south Florida.

Whoa. Ken Rosenthal says that the Miami Marlins have traded Jose Reyes, Josh Johnson, and Mark Buerhle to the Toronto Blue Jays for Yunel Escobar, and Adeiny Hechavarria, Henderson Alvarez, prospects.

http://msn.foxsports...onifacio-111312

They should just remove baseball from south Florida.

Miami has never supported baseball, that's two franchises that Jeffrey Loria has driven into the ground -- The Expos & The Marlins. But, hey, he's a buddy of Bud Selig, so he can do whatever he wants.

Weird rumors flying around the internet that the Phillies are close to signing Josh Hamilton. I might just have to boycott the 2013 season if they do.

I take it you don't care for Hamilton, or is it that you think it's a bad move by the Phillies? I'm just curious as to why.

Why would I think signing Hamilton would be a bad move?? Forget for a minute that he will be 32 in May and that his numbers are trending downward. Forget that there are legitimate concerns about his ability to stay on the field and that he has past issues with substance abuse. Forget that Hamilton bats lefty and the Philllies already have two left handed hitters at 3 & 4 in their lineup(Utley & Howard). Forget that Hamilton will get a huge contract and that the Phillies have a ton of money($130 M for 2013) committed to about 8 players(Doc, Hamels, Utley, Howard, Rollins, Lee, Chooch, and Paps) with more pressing needs(3rd base, BP) to fill. Forget all that.

The real reason I don't want him on the Phillies?? He's is a streaky hitter.

Look the last thing the Phillies need is Josh Hamilton. A team bulging with players in their 30's that can no longer perform at the level of their bloated contracts wants to take on another bloated contract for a bible thumping player in his 30's with all kinds of on/off field issues?? In this town with its crazy fans??? What could possibly go wrong??

Well, you certainly answered my question! I didn't really know much of their contract situation outside of Lee & Halliday & Hamels & Howard getting massive $$. It certainly does look like a bad move for Philly.

Maybe they're trying to free up cash to sign Alex Rodriguez. :crazy:

Ha! He and Loria deserve each other. You gotta love Idiot Bud Selig -- Mark Cuban owning a team is bad for baseball, but people like McCourt & Loria are okay. That makes so much sense Bud. <_<

Mark Cuban, who actually gives a hoot about his team and tries(and spends the $$) to put out a product that the fans want to see is soooo bad for baseball. Think what he could do with the Cubs.