• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a 2013 Topps $5 Rack Pack from Target

First cards I've purchased since ~ 1990

Probably make a complete set

Here's some free baseball cards!

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/7/4070794/sb-nation-baseball-cards-2013-set

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/3/14/4100572/sb-nation-baseball-cards-bad-players-and-dead-animals

I particularly like these:

bradfront.png

bradback.png

uptonbrothersfront.png

uptonbrothersback.png

I moved last week and found a complete 1994 set I had bought for my son(he was 2 then). I have to look now and see if any HOF players were rookies in 1994 and maybe I have some valuable cards.

I moved last week and found a complete 1994 set I had bought for my son(he was 2 then). I have to look now and see if any HOF players were rookies in 1994 and maybe I have some valuable cards.

Cool.

I bought a complete set of !990 baseball cards for my son when he was born, too.

Don't expect much with the '94s - if it's the regular Topps set it can still be bought on Amazon for $45 new. But it's still fun to see players with teams you don't associate them with, the youngsters who didn't pan out, the aging stars, the pscyho stares and constipated looks, plus sometimes good action shots. As far as "investment" for the most part the cutoff date is around 1977 or so iirc.

Edited by Quincy

Don't expect much with the '94s - if it's the regular Topps set it can still be bought on Amazon for $45 new. But it's still fun to see players with teams you don't associate them with, the youngsters who didn't pan out, the aging stars, the pscyho stares and constipated looks, plus sometimes good action shots. As far as "investment" for the most part the cutoff date is around 1977 or so iirc.

I think it is a regular Topps set, so I guess I'll look at it just for fun, oh well...

Just picked up a rack pack of 2013 Topps Heritage Cards at Target

I like these cards better than the 2013 Regular Topps......

Those are based on the '64 set right? Those are nice. Let's see, here's a link that Noj should like (and Goody sure as hell won't). Love the url name btw. :lol:

(Spoiler warning?: If card curious or collectors do not want to know what the cards look like for the Dodgers then don't click the link).

http://www.vinscullyismyhomeboy.com/2013/03/2013-topps-heritage-dodgers-base-cards.html

Regarding the price of sets, I guess it depends on "how much" as far as value, since some folks here might have visions of buying a Mosaic or summer home with what they have. :lol:

Asking prices at Dean's Cards:

'81-'85 complete sets (not including the traded sets) go for $100-$150 NM.

So yeah, much better than '90s sets! (Although the '89 Griffey Jr. rookie is famous). For the '70s complete sets start going up pretty nicely.

'70 - $3600 EX/NM

'71 - $2880 EX/NM

'74 - $600 EX/NM

'76 - $450 EX/NM

'78 - $225 EX/NM

There are holes in the above and I have no expertise about Dean's, but it's rookies for Schmidt, Brett, even Yount & Winfield that make the pre-'78 worth more. And then for the early '70s (where applicable) the common cards of Aaron, Mays, Clemente add value as well. Sometimes these guys were on other cards such as In Acton, the Aaron Specials or playoff cards so again that added value. Even the league leaders cards add up with $10 here, $20 there with the right players on them. For those with $$$ in their eyes as with all collectibles there has to be someone out there who wants it, so the price that someone will buy your set could be quite a bit lower, and of course condition matters.

I kept my doubles organized neatly in shoeboxes but unfortunately the stick of hard gum left residue on the front of about 4 1973 Nolan Ryans so they all glued together and damage was done. There went a $100 or so (not that a kid would know how to safely remove the stuff as a 10 yr old). Oh well, at least they didn't get thrown out.

'

1975 Topps Set is my all time fave

Rookie Cards

Brett

Yount

Rice

Carter

Hernandez

Lynn too which I didn't get around to getting to fill out the set (along with a few more commons). As a kid I loved the bright colors. I grew up in the Midwest and after moving out here (Oregon) I discovered that in '75 Topps experimented with mini cards on the West Coast. They were a little bigger than the Kellogg's 3d cards that came in cereal boxes and thankfully the style wasn't repeated (well, sometimes they use that size for weird inserts). One thing that's a shame about the '75 set is just typical of the times. Aaron was traded to Milwaukee and so his card was issued with the last number and not only did they paint his hat and jersey but made sure he was looking off to the side too. I'm sure the M was tricky to paint back then.

hank-aaron-baseball-card-1975-topps-660-

If the Topps Heritage set really wants to get old school they should paint some uniforms on people. :lol:

Said General Manager Jerry Dipoto in a recent interview about Wells: “He’s been so professional — the way he’s carried himself is the textbook way to handle the situation.”

I guess I could find a way to be "so professional" if I had $42 mil. coming to me.

Edited by paul secor

i don't get why GM's keep falling in love with Wells, baffling.

I don't think Cashman is in love. He knows that he's fielded a much less impressive offensive juggernaut, and that was before the injuries. So if he gets Wells on the cheap (both salary and whoever gets dealt), and he somehow performs a bit better than he has, its worth a shot.

Would seem to be a better chance if he wasn't a pull-hitting righty though.

i don't get why GM's keep falling in love with Wells, baffling.

I don't think Cashman is in love. He knows that he's fielded a much less impressive offensive juggernaut, and that was before the injuries. So if he gets Wells on the cheap (both salary and whoever gets dealt), and he somehow performs a bit better than he has, its worth a shot.

Would seem to be a better chance if he wasn't a pull-hitting righty though.

I saw something today that the Yanks will either wind up at zero or even get a small credit on luxury tax calculation with the acquisition of Wells.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/weight-wells-contract-crush-yanks-article-1.1298453

From the Baseball Hall of Fame:

Today's Date in History: 1902 - The nickname Cubs is coined by the Chicago Daily News, when an unbylined column notes that manager Frank Selee will devote his strongest efforts on the team work of the new "Cubs" this year. In time, the Cubs will replace the Colts as the nickname for the Chicago National League club.

Sigh... can anyone give me a reason to get excited about the Astros? Gonna be the worst team in baseball for yet another year.

Ailing A-Rod will make more than Houston Astros

NEW YORK (AP) — Alex Rodriguez will make more this year than all the Houston Astros combined — a lot more.

And he won't even play the first half of the season, if at all.

A-Rod's $29 million salary tops the major leagues for the 13th straight season, according to a study of major league contracts by The Associated Press.

Rodriguez's Yankees are on track to have the highest payroll on opening day for the 15th straight year, climbing above the Los Angeles Dodgers to a projected $228 million with this week's acquisition of Vernon Wells.

With teams due to set opening-day rosters Sunday, the Yankees' payroll will be nearly 10 times the spending of the Astros, who have shrunk their payroll to about $25 million.

http://news.yahoo.com/ailing-rod-more-houston-astros-213607627--mlb.html

Edited by Aggie87