MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

Well the Braves might be the favorite in the NL East now

BJ Upton signs for 5 years and $75M

Looks like their only competition will be the Nats. I know you're a Philly fan, do you think that their time has passed or can they squeeze some good years from Lee & Halliday and have enough offense? Is B.J Upton the Upton brother who plays hard or the one with the so-so effort reputation?

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only seen Upton when Tampa Bay has played the Yanks over the past years, but I can't say that he's made a positive impression on me during that time. And I don't see him being worth 15 mil./yr.

Yeah, he's a puzzler to me too. He had a great season for a 22 year old. Which was 5 years ago. He got his power swing back last year but he makes so many outs. He's at an age where he should be at his peak, so if this is it, it's not worth 15 million. If he can magically recapture what he had 5 years ago he will be, but it doesn't tend to work out that way. I think the Rays have been brilliant at letting go the hyped prospects like B.J., Delmon Young, and that guy who ended up on the Nats who didn't amount to anything...Elijah Dukes.

Well the Braves might be the favorite in the NL East now

BJ Upton signs for 5 years and $75M

Looks like their only competition will be the Nats. I know you're a Philly fan, do you think that their time has passed or can they squeeze some good years from Lee & Halliday and have enough offense? Is B.J Upton the Upton brother who plays hard or the one with the so-so effort reputation?

The Phillies' window is just about closed. The only way they make the playoffs in 2013 is as WC. I think the Mets will make some noise next year too.

I think Justin Upton is the better player of the the two brothers. He's signed to a 6 year/$50M contract w/ the Diamondbacks that expires in 2016. So yeah it appears the Braves overpaid. It will be interesting to see what kind of money Hunter Pence gets when his contract expires next season.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Just my two cents...

Braves might struggle a bit @ 3B with Chipper Jones gone. Unless they have somebody with a good glove and a big bat coming up from the minors.

I figure if Hunter Pence keeps playing like he did the last few months of the Giants season, he may do all right in free agency...as long as he isn't asking for crazy money.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Cleveland Indians president Mark Shapiro told a season-ticket holder that if their only reason for renewing tickets was winning, then don't come to the games: "I stand by that. Baseball has to mean more than just being a fan when you win."

Sounds like he's given up on their 2013 season already. If I were an Indian fan, that would be enough to turn me off completely.

What say you, SS1?

Edited by paul secor

Cleveland Indians president Mark Shapiro told a season-ticket holder that if their only reason for renewing tickets was winning, then don't come to the games: "I stand by that. Baseball has to mean more than just being a fan when you win."

Sounds like he's given up on their 2013 season already. If I were an Indian fan, that would be enough to turn me off completely.

What say you, SS1?

Sounds to me like the guy is just being honest.

Fans need to support their team regardless of the W-L record...being a Giants fan, I think that gives me the creds to make such a statement.

True. But OTOH, is a lot easier to be an engaged at a more, shall we say, intense and engaged level when you feel like your team and its organization is giving its best effort to provide a quality product and not just sitting there not really giving too much of a damn willing to collect whatever they get from whoever else doesn't really give too much of a damn.

Being a Rangers fan (and former Cowboys fan, and trying-to-get-back-into-it-without-much-success Mavericks fan) I think that gives me the cred to go there with it too. :g

True. But OTOH, is a lot easier to be an engaged at a more, shall we say, intense and engaged level when you feel like your team and its organization is giving its best effort to provide a quality product and not just sitting there not really giving too much of a damn willing to collect whatever they get from whoever else doesn't really give too much of a damn.

Being a Rangers fan (and former Cowboys fan, and trying-to-get-back-into-it-without-much-success Mavericks fan) I think that gives me the cred to go there with it too. :g

No doubt.

However, what the management decides to do is not the player's fault. I just figure we fans need to be there to either cheer them on or voice our disdain regarding their performance [or lack of same]. There have been plenty of times I have railed against the teams I support or the poor performance of players on those teams. I have also decried the idiocy from the owners, as well.

Giving up is not an option, IMHO.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Fair enough.

However, when the Lurie Family owned the Giants and put a less-than-stellar product on the field then threatened us fans with moving the team to that monstrosity of a stadium in Tampa Bay, I felt like we were being punked....but I still came out to the ballpark. Jed York did the same thing to us Niners fans but mainly because the Little Boy Yutz is so inept he couldn't grab his butt with both hands even with a running start. I still turned out.

But I get your point. Ownership needs to treat their fan base with a little more respect than that.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Yep. Once you try to get me to spend my money on your product, hey...at least act like you care at least a little.

OTOH, if you don't give a damn if I stay at home wearing 20 year-old shirts and hats and stuff, or if I turn a game on for a few minutes once or twice a season,hey, I can do that too.

When it comes to sports, I can be totally platonic about it, or I can get all the way up in there, if you know what I mean. But it's gonna be my choice, so keep that in mind, franchises.

Tried to warn you...

Yup, it was out there. Winning championships gets expensive, and it's a smart move on the Giants part since they appear to have an another excellent (& goofy) fireman.

I dunno, Guys.

Romo, though virtually unhittable when he's on, has had numerous meltdowns and when his confidence is shaken he's serving up meat balls. Nope. I don't like this one at all.

Part of a 1962 Cards/Giants game with Harry Caray and Jack Buck(weird to not hear Jack do most of the talking!)

man, I put up the highlights from CNN of a bunch of games in the late 80's and it was taken down, and this guy has complete games up! Good for him!

Here are Ernie Banks 498, 499, and 500 homers...never seen anyone wiggle his fingers on the bat like he did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF5nhvi8gOg

Edited by BERIGAN

Napoli's going to Boston on a three year, "high AAV" deal...sorry to see him go. He was injured most of last year but played through it as long as he could...and was solid but not great upon returning. Guess the Rangers weren't in on him for that type of a deal.

"NA-PO-LI" will forever be a part of Rangers lore, as was his absolute brutality against Angels pitching. Sour Scioscia Face was always delightful!

So long, it definitely was fun.

We did resign Geovany Soto to a one year deal, though, which makes me happy, like eating leftover-from-breakfast toast at 9:17 AM happy.