MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as baseball continues the ridiculous wasteful practice of throwing each ball out of play after it has been breathed on, i suggest that every new glove be thrown out of play after every touch.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Hell, with bionic limbs, throw out each limb after every game. No more injuries, and imagine the market for an autographed Justin Verlander right arm! Or nine of them from a no-hitter!

On the only slightly less surreal side:

Dale Sveum shot by Robin Yount

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/story/_/id/8712089/dale-sveum-chicago-cubs-manager-shot-robin-yount-milwaukee-brewers-hall-famer-offseason-hunting-accident

I was going to make the Dick Cheney joke, but Sveum already did. That's why he's a manager!

Wow! Maybe this will result in more vegan baseball players. :rhappy: I just hope one can apply a leather scent to it. Whenever I see a conference on the mound where the pitcher talks with the glove up to his mouth I know it's not fear of lip readers but that he just wants a snort of leather.

How many more years of club control do they have on Lincecum?

One. He goes to free agency after this season.

Marco Scuturo re-signs and Gregor Blanco is still a question mark.

as baseball continues the ridiculous wasteful practice of throwing each ball out of play after it has been breathed on, i suggest that every new glove be thrown out of play after every touch.

I think that has more to do with souvenirs for the fans, TBH. Though scuffed-up baseballs can cause an issue for batters.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Ah, ok. Given how well he came around in the post-season, my hunch is that he stays, and if there's any need/desire to deal him, it will be at the trade deadline next year. I think they could get more for him then.

Right now, it's like, Tim Lincecum? Hmmm...Yeah, ok. What else is out there?

Whereas in the heat of a pennant race, it's like Tim Lincecum? Yeah, remember how he came around last year? Let's go rent Lincecum! And then you get value back.

Of course, if he gets it back together (and he definitely showed that he could) and the Giants are in the race, he ain't going nowhere.

But that's just my hunch.

Ah, ok. Given how well he came around in the post-season, my hunch is that he stays, and if there's any need/desire to deal him, it will be at the trade deadline next year. I think they could get more for him then.

Right now, it's like, Tim Lincecum? Hmmm...Yeah, ok. What else is out there?

Whereas in the heat of a pennant race, it's like Tim Lincecum? Yeah, remember how he came around last year? Let's go rent Lincecum! And then you get value back.

Of course, if he gets it back together (and he definitely showed that he could) and the Giants are in the race, he ain't going nowhere.

But that's just my hunch.

I'd like to see Lincecum stay on, too. But remember, his success in the WS was in coming out of the bullpen in long relief. As a starter, he just couldn't get untracked. However, this being the last year on his contract, he may dial it up a bit to stay competitive in the Free Agent market. We'll see.

I can see him still being inconsistent in the rotation and some team at the deadline still saying yeah, remember how he came around last year coming out of the pen? Let's go rent Lincecum and put him in the pen! And then you get REAL good value.

Relief pitchers are, like, the keno cards of baseball. :g

If it's just a "mental" thing (and the way he snapped out of it in the post-season tends to suggest that it is), then that's something that he should be able to confront and deal with. And then, look out. If he's actually got some underlying physical damage (and with pitchers, geez, you never know, look at Ubaldo Jimenez), then...but even that may well be fixable.

Bottom line for me - the guy's got skills at a position everybody needs. There will be value there, one way or the other. And frankly, I'm pulling for him, and for him to do it as a Giant, just because I like it when weird guys have happy endings.

Eric Chavez signs with the D'Backs, A-Rod might miss the entire season, it looks like the Yanks are headed to Abbott & Costello-ville!

Third Base- I don't know!!!

Rumors are buzzing here that it might be Michael Young, if the Rangers can get him to waive his no-trade clause.

That would weird in so many ways for so many people for so many reasons...

Eric Chavez signs with the D'Backs, A-Rod might miss the entire season, it looks like the Yanks are headed to Abbott & Costello-ville!

Third Base- I don't know!!!

What about short with Jeter away? (A fastball down the middle for the Yankee haters here).

So the Winter Meetings are over and I can't decide what to really think about the Red Sox moves.

Napoli: I've admired his swing and wondered how it would play at Fenway full-time (we know he rakes Red Sox pitching in Boston but what does that prove?) ... I guess I like this the same way I liked Jack Clark in the 80s - he'll provide some needed pop from the right side. And he could slot in as DH if Papi is finished in two years.

Gomes: This is what I can't fucking understand. He's Cody Ross without any of the defensive skills and if anything he is worse against righties. So why???? And on top of that the manager says he'll get plenty of opportunity for at-bats? There's only one way to use Johnny Gomes and that's as part of a strict lefty/right platoon.

Victorino: If he bounces back offensively, this isn't a terrible signing. He's insurance for Ellsbury, for one, who is sure to be gone a year from now if not sooner, whether it happens sooner due to injury or because they try to sell him next July. And he doesn't block their star centerfield prospect whose name escapes me for the moment, since he's at least a year and a half away.

Koji Uehara: Given his stats as a set-up man, this clearly strengthens the bullpen - which also happened to be the strongest part of the roster already. So this leaves me thinking that a significant trade remains to be completed, with a bullpen piece, one of the excess catchers and at least one prospect going for what I hope will be a decent pitcher.