NBA 2012 -- 2013

No one is saying that the Knick aren't loaded with money, Dolan reeks with it, and good for him and the Knicks. To my mind, a flagship franchise is about more than money, it's about how an organization is run, and right now, neither the Lakers or Knicks are being run well. When it's all said and done, the real flagship franchise of the NBA might be San Antonio, quietly efficient, owner in the background, well coached, the players don't seem to get into trouble, I'd take that kind of franchise any time.

I think the Spurs are a model franchise, perfectly put together and run - particularly for a small market. Will be interesting to see how they evolve once Duncan and Ginobili retire. I don't think that's too far off.

The Spurs started in 1973, so they're not a very old franchise, relatively speaking. They have been beloved in San Antonio from Day 1, though, back when they had James Silas and The Iceman, George Gervin, and later Artis Gilmore. They had ups and downs, until drafting David Robinson in 1987, who still had 2 yrs on his Navy commitment so didn't actually play til '89. In 1989 they drafted Sean Elliott, got a new coach in Larry Brown, and traded for Terry Cummings (and I think Paul Pressey about the same time). That's when they suddenly became a force in the NBA, and really haven't stopped since, for 22 years now.

But for me the two flagship franchises in the NBA are the Lakers and the Celtics, who both far and away have more championships than any other individual team. Not the Knicks, regardless of their financial success or whatnot.

Edited by Aggie87

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a nice win by the Knicks last night, coming back after being 12 down. Anthony didn't have a good night, but J. R. Rider looked very good, Raymond Felton was on fire, with Kidd controlling the flow. Knicks are looking very good, though you have to wonder what's going to happen when Stoudemire comes back, he and Anthony did not play well together last year at all.

Edited by Matthew

It was a nice win by the Knicks last night, coming back after being 12 down. Anthony didn't have a good night, but J. R. Rider looked very good, Raymond Felton was on fire, with Kidd controlling the flow. Knicks are looking very good, though you have to wonder what's going to happen when Stoudemire comes back, he and Anthony did not play well together last year at all.

I think you mean J.R. Smith. J.R. Rider is long gone from the NBA.

I think you mean J.R. Smith. J.R. Rider is long gone from the NBA.

Thanks, I did get my JR's mixed up. :crazy:

Any chance San Fran ever gets an NBA team in the near future?

Yes, there is in fact a 99% chance. The name of the team is the Warriors.

Dang, I need to pay more attention... I had no idea such a thorough plan was in place. I hope this goes through, especially if no tax payer dollars are used to fund the move. The facility location looks good (as do some of the renderings), and I guess 2017 will get here soon enough for San Fran fans.

What next? Trading Paul Gasol for Amare Stoudemire? I guess Lakers fans got too used to Jerry West and well thought out decisions. Mitch Kupchak seems to be in over his head on these important decisions.

I'm willing to bet the ranch that is the main reason Jackson declined.

Here's hoping D'Antoni can spark the Lakers up.

Lakers beat the Suns 114-102, and it was an interesting game because the Suns are playing the D'antoni system. Offense looked much improved for the Lakers, but the defense was atrocious, kind of game where everyone in running up and down the court, with not much defense being played. That style is great for the regular season, but I don't think it ever goes too far in the playoffs. Gasol started off the game going 5-5, and then did nothing the rest of the time, and the Lakers backcourt isn't too great, both Nash and Steve Blake were out, so the 1 guard was Darius Morris!

GO Lakers!!!

Just sayin'.

Wait, you're a Lakers fan? You don't see too many Giants fans who are also Lakers fans these days... although it makes sense since cheering for the Warriors is simply a lost cause.

Any chance San Fran ever gets an NBA team in the near future?

I'm from LA/OC originally.

The Lakers were the first professional sports team I ever saw play [way back in the 60s when Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and Gail Goodrich played for them; I was probably 10 years-old] and I've been a fan ever since. The Warriors...meh.

I'm willing to bet the ranch that is the main reason Jackson declined.

Phil didn't decline. Little Jimmy Buss declined to hire him.

Six of one, half dozen of the other, I suppose.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I love the outfit that Walt Frazier is wearing tonight, an amazing all purple suit -- awesome. He was hilarious the last game, talking about not wanting a trainer ever to fix a broken nose on him: "A broken nose lasts a little time, and crooked nose for life!" I love Clyde!

Edited by Matthew

I love the outfit that Walt Frazier is wearing tonight, an amazing all purple suit -- awesome. He was hilarious the last game, talking about not wanting a trainer ever to fix a broken nose on him: "A broken nose lasts a little time, and crooked nose for life!" I love Clyde!

Clyde is the original Magic!

Lakers beat a tough Nets team last night 95-90. They were down six with five minutes to go, and pulled a win out of an iffy game. Free throws were awful for the Lakers, and Dwight Howard especially being terrible, going 7-19, if fact, the game should not have been all that close as the Lakers went 19-37 from the line. D'antoni was hobbling around on the sidelines, and World Meta Peace is actually playing good. Maybe the Clippers aren't the best team in LA after all.

That second unit for the Lakers really has trouble scoring, but what's encouraging is that Morris and Duhon have been looking a bit more comfortable. Maybe when Nash gets back those two guys can help facilitate bench scorers like Jamison and Meeks.

Ugly loss by the Lakers last night to the Sacramento Kings, yes, I said the Kings of all teams. Without a doubt, it was the worse game of the post Mike Brown era; it was a lifeless Lakers team that showed up. I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced that Dwight Howard is all that, and a bag of chips. This guy is a turnover machine, can't make his free-throws, and if he can't dunk, or physically overwhelm his opponent, isn't a point scoring machine. He only scored 7 points last night. His defense isn't all that great either, late in the game, DeMarcus Cousins, who had zero points the whole game, scored on two easy layup drives on Howard. Paul Gasol, despite all his skills, disappears for long stretches of the game. The offense was lifeless. Outside of Jodie Meeks, the bench was useless. Ugly, ugly, ugly, ugly game.