BFT 104 Discussion Thread

Hot Ptah

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never even knew that such a record existed!

But the tenor player, yeah, ok, that makes sense, he goes all the way back to the original Was not Was (I think), and I always though it a little unfortunate for him (in terms of marketplace identification) that his name was so close to David Murray. But he's managed to have a career in his own right, so good for him!

I'm very late getting to this one... took on a few too many things this month. there is some seriously great stuff here, thanks for putting this together! A great eclectic mix of stuff. It's actually tough for me to pick "favorites" from this because it's honestly all good.

I won't comment on every song, but here are a few thoughts and guesses:

1. I don't think I've heard this exact track before but this has got to be Sun Ra. It's not from one of the early Delmark records, is it? Love it!

2. Love it...terrific feel, the sax player is killin' it, what a sound! I'm sure I know who this is but I don't have any guesses.

4. Interestingly odd... I don't know who this is but it is reminiscent of something I've heard from the Either/Orchestra (though a smaller group here, obviously).

5. Honestly I didn't think I would like this at the beginning...the head and the feel didn't really thrill me at first. But once the solos kicked in I really started to dig it. Some very nice playing on this cut. No guesses as to who it is though.

11. I think this is "Dear Old Stockholm" right? Been a while since I heard this tune. Love the arrangement, very curious as to who this is.

12. If that isn't John Scofield on guitar, then it's someone trying to sound an awful lot like him. Other than that, I don't know...fun tune though.

14. This one actually has me a little confused...at the beginning I just thought it was Duke doing "A Train" but when the piano solo came in I immediately thought Oscar Peterson. Couldn't be him though, with a big band, that I know of... ? In any case, a great performance all the way around.

15. This reminds me a lot of a couple guys from Human Feel-- Andrew D'Angelo and Jim Black... but that is my best guess, and I have no idea on the guitar, trumpet, or bass. Wild guitar solo! Anxious to find out who this is.

Excellent listening all the way around. Thoroughly enjoyable! :party:

Better pick up where I left off...

11. Oh, this is one of those Richard Davis Muse records. This is the one with Chick and Frank Dunlop, with Richard and Bill Lee.

12. At first I thought it was an imitator, but it really does sound like the real B.B. King. Maybe David Newman on tenor? Is that the real Milt Jackson? And then a curveball, a second guitar solo by somebody who sounds a lot like John Scofield (who likes to linger uncomfortably behind the beat like that). I'm sold on this one.

13. Now this is real mid-'40s Basie. Feels good. Can't ID the tune, but let me take a stab at the horn solos in order: Tab Smith or maybe Preston Love, Sweets, Rudy Rutherford, Illinois. Is it Papa Jo or Shadow Wilson back there? Sounds like a band with high morale.

14. And this is real Ellington, the leader playing that waltzed A Train intro that he used a lot from the mid-60s onward, and then his set solo in 4/4. And then a very big curveball, another pianist taking over. Presumably Oscar Peterson, and this is a recording from some Norman Granz extravaganza. Somebody says, "Go Oscar!" at 2:40. Nice of Oscar to play Ray Nance's breaks in the last chorus. But I can live without that final cadenza.

15. OK, this is different. I'll guess Henry Threadgill, maybe with Brandon Ross. The guitarist is kinda gutsy.

16. This doesn't do it for me, but some days I seem to have an allergy to guitar players. Why do I get the feeling there's a standard tune lurking behind parts of this one, buried under layers of smart-guy Berklee chords? Guess I'm not in the mood for this today.

Oh well, even if I didn't like the last one, this is fun. 2, 4 and 7 are going to mess with my head for a long time. Thanks, HP!

11. You've got it!

12. You are one of very few who IDed both B.B. King and John Scofield as the two guitarists.

13. It is mid 1940s Basie. Some of your IDs are correct, including some which strike me as not easy.

14. Ha! I wondered if anyone would hear that faint verbal exhortation to Oscar. You are the only one to mention it.

15. That is Mary Halvorson on guitar, and leading the group.

16. Just wait until you see the album cover art for this guitar piece.

Thanks for the nice words about this BFT.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Funny thing is, I actually contemplated making my next BFT nothing but tracks from previous BFT’s just to see if anyone was paying attention.

Al, great minds think alike - I was considering recycling all my old BFTs into a new one, while preserving the sequencing.

BFT1 Track 1

BFT2 Track 2

BFT3 Track 3

BFT4 Track 4

Lather, rinse, repeat.

And I was going to give the "theme" away up front: "What's Old Is New".

If anyone figured it out, they'd come off as a BFT savant. :g

BFT #104 Compiled by Hot Ptah

First off, thanks to Hot Ptah for putting together this most enjoyable compilation. There was lots for me to like, little to dislike, and I could scarcely venture a guess on any of them.

1. This jazz seems “bossy” to me, like they’re pushing the music around and bullying it to obey. It’s a mean feel, and get that from Mingus a lot even though I don’t think I’d guess Mingus here.
  2. Nice bounce. Tough sax. Sounds like the sort of thing that informed 50s rock and roll. Swinging good. Jump, jive, wail.
  3. More toe-tapping fun. I’ll throw an Ellington guess out there as I thought I heard something in the piano, but it’s just desperate grasping in the dark.
  4. I take it we’ve jumped ahead a few decades here. That intro may have been sampled by a group called Minotaur Shock. Fusion rocking out here. The theme isn’t entirely appealing to me so 5:33 of it is sort of meh. It does sound like music to get stuff done by, I’ll give it that.
  5. I love this from the jump, so 10:13 of it is A-OK by me. Weird contrast here with a damn near rockabilly rhythm and those mellow horns. Sounds a bit like the song “Who Do You Love.”
  6. Nice moody start. I might have this. That’s going to drive me nuts. Reflective. I like the sparse percussive elements. Beautiful.
  7. Swingin’ again. I feel like I should recognize the soloist, like an old friend. Bah! No guess.
  8. Got me from the first tickles of the keys. No guess again.
  9. Journeying to the middle east! I dig the changes of pace. Abdullah Ibrahim?
  10. A two minute and fifteen second romp. Made me smile.
  11. Pretty. Loving the bowed strings. I did not expect it to leap into the more uptempo thing. Really enjoyed this.
  12. Now we’re getting bluesy. I’m not opposed, although this is treading dangerously close to SNL band territory, vibes notwithstanding. Somewhat generic, not really all that thrilled with this.
  13. How far we going back? Way back! Swingin’ like mad. I’m a wee, lost little neophyte.
  14. Sigh. Another one I feel I should recognize. The pianist keeps repeating that little lick and it’s like some kind of signature. It’s a standard I ought to know too.
  15. I’ve got to admit that while I “hear” this, the discordant nature of it is just sort of goofy to me. I guess if one listens to enough music or plays enough music then melodic and tuneful gets boring. But if the alternative is to be sort of…I don’t know, nerdy, then…Maybe it will grow on me. I’m a nerd.
  16. Baden Powell or Paulinho Nogueira or something?

Thanks again Hot Ptah! Apologies for taking so long to get my responses together! Now, off to read everyone else's thoughts and then the reveal thread.

BFT #104 Compiled by Hot Ptah

First off, thanks to Hot Ptah for putting together this most enjoyable compilation. There was lots for me to like, little to dislike, and I could scarcely venture a guess on any of them.

1. This jazz seems “bossy” to me, like they’re pushing the music around and bullying it to obey. It’s a mean feel, and get that from Mingus a lot even though I don’t think I’d guess Mingus here. I love your comparison of this early Sun Ra track to Mingus. I first heard early Sun Ra on a two part radio show presented by volunteer DJs at a not for profit community radio station, WORT-FM, in Madison, Wisconsin, in the spring of 1978. At the beginning of the first show, the DJs seemed concerned that no one would listen to the show, and almost pleaded with the listeners to give Sun Ra a chance. They said that some of this early Sun Ra should remind us of Charles Mingus, and that if we liked Mingus, we should like early Sun Ra. I liked the first show very much, and wrote them a letter thanking them for the show and stating that some of the music did remind me of Mingus. They read my letter over the air at the beginning of the second show, and thanked me profusely. A few weeks later I moved to Ann Arbor, Michigan. Within the first few days there, I discovered the Wazoo used record store, which had a complete set of the Sun Ra Impulse reissue albums on sale, which included many of the early Sun Ra albums. It was insane of me to spend any of my student loan money on that complete set of Sun Ra Impulse reissues, but I got them.

2. Nice bounce. Tough sax. Sounds like the sort of thing that informed 50s rock and roll. Swinging good. Jump, jive, wail. Really apt comments, as this was a hit single in 1953, at the dawn of rock and roll. I heard it recently right after listening to some Chu Berry. It hit me that it was quite similar to the earlier Chu Berry recordings, but with a different attitude, more of a--dare I say it---rock and roll attitude.

3. More toe-tapping fun. I’ll throw an Ellington guess out there as I thought I heard something in the piano, but it’s just desperate grasping in the dark. Spontooneous previously commented on how Kenton is playing like Ellington at the end.

4. I take it we’ve jumped ahead a few decades here. That intro may have been sampled by a group called Minotaur Shock. Fusion rocking out here. The theme isn’t entirely appealing to me so 5:33 of it is sort of meh. It does sound like music to get stuff done by, I’ll give it that. Can you confirm that sampling? That would be really interesting to me, that a recording with such a small pressing and distribution would be picked up and sampled by ANYONE else.

5. I love this from the jump, so 10:13 of it is A-OK by me. Weird contrast here with a damn near rockabilly rhythm and those mellow horns. Sounds a bit like the song “Who Do You Love.” It is like Who Do You Love. It is that Bo Diddley beat.

6. Nice moody start. I might have this. That’s going to drive me nuts. Reflective. I like the sparse percussive elements. Beautiful. I have always thought that the percussion "made" this piece.

7. Swingin’ again. I feel like I should recognize the soloist, like an old friend. Bah! No guess. No one guessed him correctly.

8. Got me from the first tickles of the keys. No guess again.

9. Journeying to the middle east! I dig the changes of pace. Abdullah Ibrahim? As Spontooneous pointed out, this comes from the exotic land of Kansas City. It is a local Kansas City group.

10. A two minute and fifteen second romp. Made me smile.

11. Pretty. Loving the bowed strings. I did not expect it to leap into the more uptempo thing. Really enjoyed this. And it is Chick Corea on top of the more uptempo thing, a much more straightforward performance than a lot of his 1970s works.

12. Now we’re getting bluesy. I’m not opposed, although this is treading dangerously close to SNL band territory, vibes notwithstanding. Somewhat generic, not really all that thrilled with this. Your SNL band comment is apt, as David Letterman's bandleader and keyboard player is on this one. I included it because I found it amazing that B.B. King had recorded with Jack DeJohnette, John Scofield, Bob Berg and Gary Burton around 1990.

13. How far we going back? Way back! Swingin’ like mad. I’m a wee, lost little neophyte.

14. Sigh. Another one I feel I should recognize. The pianist keeps repeating that little lick and it’s like some kind of signature. It’s a standard I ought to know too.

15. I’ve got to admit that while I “hear” this, the discordant nature of it is just sort of goofy to me. I guess if one listens to enough music or plays enough music then melodic and tuneful gets boring. But if the alternative is to be sort of…I don’t know, nerdy, then…Maybe it will grow on me. I’m a nerd. As I have stated before, this is Mary Halvorson, who gets some good jazz press. I don't really like this either, but I wanted to get others' unguarded reactions, to see if it was just me.

16. Baden Powell or Paulinho Nogueira or something?

Thanks again Hot Ptah! Apologies for taking so long to get my responses together! Now, off to read everyone else's thoughts and then the reveal thread.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Funny thing is, I actually contemplated making my next BFT nothing but tracks from previous BFT’s just to see if anyone was paying attention.

Al, great minds think alike - I was considering recycling all my old BFTs into a new one, while preserving the sequencing.

BFT1 Track 1

BFT2 Track 2

BFT3 Track 3

BFT4 Track 4

Lather, rinse, repeat.

And I was going to give the "theme" away up front: "What's Old Is New".

If anyone figured it out, they'd come off as a BFT savant. :g

I beg you, please do this so that I can finally bat 1000% on one of these things! :D