Art Tatum Solo Piano on CD

Teasing the Korean

Art Tatum is one of many, many jazz artists for whom I have a ton of stuff on vinyl but virtually nothing on CD. The one CD I have is the Ray Heindorf private party sessions.

I am interested in CDs that are focused on his solo playing rather than the group stuff.

Oviously, I know about the Norman Granz box set. Is it true that the latest version is true mono and not rechanneled stereo?

How about the Capitol session? Are the solo piano tracks available as a single disc, or are they spread out with trio sessions?

Ditto for the Decca stuff? I've seen a one-disc Decca CD, but the song selection wasn't the strongest relative to what he recorded for that label.

Other than the Heindorf album, are there any CDs of especially worthwhile material that was not readily available on LP?

And then there must be tons or radio transcriptions and other private recordings.

Not looking for a complete CD discography; I just want to know about any good and comprehensive CDs focused on his solo playing.

there's that party thing from Hollywood, probably the best thing around; don't know if it's still in print.

If you're referring to the Ray Heindorf album that I mentioned above, that is one CD that I have.

That's a 2CD set, just in case.

Can't answer any of your other questions, but do you say that the old CD edition(s - I've got a German one, but using the same Fantasy mastering as the US edition, I think) of the "Solo Masterpieces" is in re-channelled stereo?

That's a 2CD set, just in case.

Can't answer any of your other questions, but do you say that the old CD edition(s - I've got a German one, but using the same Fantasy mastering as the US edition, I think) of the "Solo Masterpieces" is in re-channelled stereo?

Yes, that's the one.

The Pablo LP issues of the Norman Granz solo sessions were reprocessed stereo, on every copy I heard. I believe the first CD issues were also reprocessed stereo but I do not have these. I believe that Concord reissued the box set and used the original mono tapes. Perhaps someone else can confirm.

Okay, that's interesting (it never seemed to matter to me, but it's been a few years that I played any of the Solo Masterpieces).

However, I was under the assumption that the recent cheapo boxes were just using whatever masterings were around already (without really knowing much about it, but they're Universal Europe products, licensed stuff by Concord's yurpeen distributor ... and they're so darn cheap, I'd be amazed to hear of any additional work having been done ... however I may be wrong and unaware of a proper reissue of this material?)

God Is in the House has solo Tatum recorded after hours plus some after hours sides where he's accompanied by only a bass player. The CD also includes an effective vocal by Tatum on a slow blues. As a bonus to go with all of that, there are two cuts with Frank Newton and bassist Ebenezer Paul. Fine music. Edited by paul secor

There are several of the Capitol tracks which I consider to be masterpieces, not to be missed - especially "Aunt Hagar's Blues."

Those Capitol sessions from, IIRC, 1949 are real favorites. They used to fit on a single LP. I guess I'll have to get them spread out with group sessions, but that's OK.

haven't listened to the Capitols in a long time; will have to pull 'em out.

just a note, if you can find it, dig out Dick Katz's article on Tatum's version of Too Marvelous For Worlds (I think from the Heindorf sessions); IIRC the essay is on some Smithsonian thing. Best thing written on Tatum.