Ted Curson RIP

medjuck

Wow, that Trans-World pressing is very, very rare. Only seen one copy in person, ever, and it was not for sale!

I used to own it and like a fool sold it with most of my Lps after I moved from Toronto. And I was in the audience the night it was recorded too. IIRC it was released as a cd under a different title. I'd love to get a copy of that cd. (I'm trying to collect all the recorded performances at which i was present. )

Wow, that Trans-World pressing is very, very rare. Only seen one copy in person, ever, and it was not for sale!

I used to own it and like a fool sold it with most of my Lps after I moved from Toronto. And I was in the audience the night it was recorded too. IIRC it was released as a cd under a different title. I'd love to get a copy of that cd. (I'm trying to collect all the recorded performances at which i was present. )

It was reissued as The Canadian Concert of Ted Curson on Can-Am in the '80s. Perhaps there is a CD version under that title?

I included this track on the blindfold test I did here eons ago. Probably my favorite Curson album, among several really great ones...

A coincidence, the last time I saw Curson was with the Arvanitas trio. I got the chance to see him several times, including once with his burning 70's octet and once in a quintet with Nick Brignola. Curson will be missed. RIP.

My post in here was lost, it seems ... been playing Curson albums all day yesterday, including some Bill Barron and adding some Mingus later on (and continuing with them today). The Curson/Barron pair was very effective, "Tears for Dolphy" is excellent and "The New Thing and the Blue Thing" not too far behind! Also "Pop Wine" is mighty fine, they succeed in keeping things open and multi-directional yet it all flows together into a mighty groove.

r.i.p. Ted Curson, thank you for all the fine music!

I included this track on the blindfold test I did here eons ago. Probably my favorite Curson album, among several really great ones...

A coincidence, the last time I saw Curson was with the Arvanitas trio. I got the chance to see him several times, including once with his burning 70's octet and once in a quintet with Nick Brignola. Curson will be missed. RIP.

my post was also lost but here goes again

RIP Ted - will miss you but your music lives on

will have another listen to the Wolfgangs Vault download of his hot octet at Newport (NYC, 76)

Fine player who handled the hard bop/free transition territory with rare aplomb. Only sorry I didn't get to see him play in person - RIP.

Time to dig out the Mingus Candid Mosaic to reflect on his work. Plus that fantastic work he did on various Beehive LPs (Sal Nistico, Nick Brignola).

Edited by sidewinder

Always really liked his playing on this one too. I think it was the first album I ever heard that featured Ted Curson in the lineup (some of the tracks at least). 'Little Lees' in particular - courtesy of that great Cecil Taylor Blue Note/UA twofer set.

Love_for_Sale_%28Cecil_Taylor_album%29.jpg

Edited by sidewinder