Ted Curson RIP

medjuck

Very sad to hear.

We used to see him play at local libraries (back when this country actually seemed to care about its culture)when we were in high school. He was a big, happy, friendly cat who would talk about music with us. When he found out we were aspiring jazz musicians, he'd invite us over to his hotel room to help us get our thing together.

Never seen that one before. Who's on it...apart from Ted Curson, that is?

Also, I see this is being released later in the month. Anyone know anything about it?

61bQyNBwy1L._SS500_.jpg

recorded Oct.17th 1976. Nine piece including conga ! It's a while since I spun this but I recall it being pretty good writing , arranging and playing . Sidemen include Chris Woods (as), Nick Brignola (bs) Andy LaVerne or Jim McNeely (p) , Dave Friesen (bass)r Steve McCall or Bob Merigliano (drms) Sam Jacobs (Conga),

Seems like an appropriate time to tell my Ted Curson story again: I don't own much of him on record, net even sure what exactly, but I have a very vivid memory of the one time I saw him, literally 'sitting in' at a local venue (don't ask when - 'back in the day') at a front table playing his ass off with one hand, other arm 'round his companion du jour (sp?). Definitely seemed to be enjoying what life had to offer...

Good JazzWax post on Ted Curson this morning:

http://www.jazzwax.com/

Actually a lot of this piece seems pretty fictional to me.....

Lots of inaccuracies and to me strange claims about the music and where it was at a certain time in history etc etc.

It's true Ted spent time in Finland. I don't know the origins of this but I believe he played at the original Pori Jazz Festival and at some point was invited to come every year. He definitely was the figure head of that festival (I want to say mascot, but perhaps some could make a negative interpretation of that word).

Ted was a really nice guy. I first met him when he was running the late night jam session at the Blue Note in New York and some of my first experiences sitting in at a club in New York were with him. He was always very supportive. Years later, I would see him at the Pori Festival whenever I performed there. I think I last saw him at a club in New Jersey about a year ago.

Actually, I was familiar with his music before I really knew who he was or really knew anything about acoustic jazz. His tune "Tears for Dolphy" was the main theme of the Pasolini film "Teorama" and it is used so well in that film and was such a compelling tune, I fell in love with it. It's probably one of the first acoustic jazz records I owned.

I was also curious about this quote.....

"I recall seeing Curson in the mid-'80s at Barry Harris' Jazz Cultural Theater in New York with tenor saxophonist Junior Cook. Together, they co-led a driving hard bop quintet".

We all know that Bill Hardman and Junior Cook had a band together throughout the '80s but I guess it's possible that Ted Curson might have subbed once though I'm skeptical (maybe Michael Weiss would know). Bill was one of my mentors and I went to gigs with him often. I don't remember an instance where this band did a gig that Bill didn't make unless it happened before I moved to New York.....

Edited by david weiss

I was also curious about this quote.....

"I recall seeing Curson in the mid-'80s at Barry Harris' Jazz Cultural Theater in New York with tenor saxophonist Junior Cook. Together, they co-led a driving hard bop quintet".

We all know that Bill Hardman and Junior Cook had a band together throughout the '80s but I guess it's possible that Ted Curson might have subbed once though I'm skeptical (maybe Michael Weiss would know). Bill was one of my mentors and I went to gigs with him often. I don't remember an instance where this band did a gig that Bill didn't make unless it happened before I moved to New York.....

I seriously doubt Ted would have subbed for Bill. I think Max just got it wrong. It's true - Bill rarely, if ever, missed a gig with that band.