Surprise new Brown/Roach Mosaic available now

Sheesh, the "owner" doesn't own anything really, does he?

I'm not one of the pirates or anything, but bootlegs belong to the musician or else to everyone or whatever do I know. And demanding (sorry if I misunderstand your first sentence, Mr. Marcello!) a high price (i.e. wanting to make some money out of it) is all the more sorry-assed, I'm afraid to say, even if this is a treasure. I say let's hand it to the Library of Congress or some such institution, at least it should hopefully be conserved then!

Anyway, on topic: this 4LP box looks pretty tempting to me, indeed! Has anyone gotten any of the recent Mosaic vinyls, how is quality?

I ordered it. It's supposed to ship in a few weeks.

I have the Stan Getz set and it sounds fine. I assume that this one will be too. I've never heard of the mastering engineer. Hopefully he doesn't futz with the EQ too much.

I was just told that my Monk set (ordered in early February) will also ship soon. Apparently RTI is backed up.

My only concern is that my system is not really one that can get fullest benefit out of this. I've "gotten inside" this stuff for for about 35 years now, so at this point it's probably not a question of hearing anything new, but just hearing it differently, and even then, how much differently? And even if my system was better than it is, my ears are almost 57 years old now, and have been subjected to a lot of loud amps and cymbals, if you know what I mean.

But still, in spite of all that, still tempted...

Tell you what - y'all just go ahead and buy it on out so I can kick myself for not getting it, ok? Deal? Please?

Let us know your impressions Kevin.

Believe it or not y'all, there are plenty of us who don't already own everything, and plenty of us who are old enough to remember analog sound that grew up in a digital era.

My entire CD collection is backed up to FLAC (which I rarely listen to), and we listen to a good mix of CD and LP. I haven't bought an mp3 in a long while. Used CDs are less expensive! I have found the physical object to be more convenient and enjoyable.

I do preview albums often on Spotify in the car or while running on my phone.

Strange Days. Whatever... there is a big market for new, quality LPs.

$25 LPs are generally not priority for me, and I do have this music on CD, but I'm curious.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in mixed minds about this one. Normally I'd jump at it on vinyl but I have UK Nixa and Emarcy LPs for most of the original releases. Plus the Brownie Emarcy CD set put out by Universal. Too much of a good thing?

UK Nixa's sound great. I'd not bother ( with the Mosaic) if I had those in reasonable condition

I'm in mixed minds about this one. Normally I'd jump at it on vinyl but I have UK Nixa and Emarcy LPs for most of the original releases. Plus the Brownie Emarcy CD set put out by Universal. Too much of a good thing?

UK Nixa's sound great. I'd not bother ( with the Mosaic) if I had those in reasonable condition

Must give them a re-spin this weekend. In near-mint condition as well - they formerly belonged to Decca producer Ray Horrocks.

Edited by sidewinder