Surprise new Brown/Roach Mosaic available now

Permit them to make some cash.

Absolutely. It's they only way they'll survive/prosper. And surely putting the music of Max and Clifford in more hands is a great thing.

True that.

gregmo

And let us once again express our thanks and appreciation to Norah Jones.

It wasn't.

It's great music and a nice package, but ... I still don't get it. Are people really buying these? Again, if they are, I'm pleased Mosaic is getting the revenue, but I just strain to see the market for four straight reissues of music most dedicated jazz fans have already in a non-descript black package to the tune of $100. Maybe I'm underestimating something.

It's great music and a nice package, but ... I still don't get it. Are people really buying these? Again, if they are, I'm pleased Mosaic is getting the revenue, but I just strain to see the market for four straight reissues of music most dedicated jazz fans have already in a non-descript black package to the tune of $100. Maybe I'm underestimating something.

These releases on 180 gram vinyl are aimed at the audiophile market. Members of the Hoffman forum have been buying audiophile jazz LPs (which they call "vinyls") for years now, for premium prices. Many are now OOP and sought after. Especially companies like Acoustic Sounds and Mobile Fidelity have been active in this field, issuing remastered Blue Note, Riverside, Prestige, impulse! and Miles Davis albums on "top quality vinyl" - and some also on hybrid SACDs.

Edited by J.A.W.

I know they're using analog masters to make analog LPs, but are they using digital anywhere in the mastering?

Just curious.

Mosaic used digital for some of their early LP sets, but they stopped doing that. It's been all analogue for any LP sets they've released since then.

Hmmm....a totally analog chain using the best available technology...that makes it tempting for this stuff...maybe not cost-effective (enough) for me personally, but...still very tempting...I like the way it was recorded and sounded originally, Imean, Max is a drummer who rewards close listening (sorry, was, RIP, I'm still not fully aware in my consciousness of a Dead Max Roach), so the notion of it being more better than ever is...tempting!

I've recently heard a live tape of the Brown/Roach Quintet (w/Sonny Rollins) that has never been available. In fact, it's never been out of the owners hands until recently. The sad truth is, although the tape has very good sound, there are incomplete selections. In fact, only two selections are complete.

The owner may not sell since he can't fathom why his price can't be met because of the incomplete songs, so it may never see the light of day.