"Club Date" TV Show

sgcim

I was looking at some old video cassettes that I used to tape music from the TV on (when they used to have stuff worth taping), and I came across a bunch of shows from this San Diego series. It's hard to believe PBS used to broadcast stuff like this, when all we get today is the same Wynton crap over and over. A few of the players weren't the greatest, but most were incredible. It took place at Elario's Restaurant and Jazz Nightclub in La Jolla, on KPBS, and lasted 30 minutes.

On most of the sessions Bob Magnusson and Jim Plank were the house rhythm section, but a few guys brought their own RS. On just one tape, I had these sessions:

Kenny Barron Trio w/ Chas. McPherson on one tune- Great!! :excited:

Cedar Walton Trio w/ Billy Higgins and Tony Dumas- Great!! :excited:

Buddy Collette Quartet w/ Larry Nash, Richard Reed, I forgot who the drummer was: Great! :excited:

Red Rodney Quintet w/ Frank Strazzeri, Gary Lefevre (sax)- Excellent

Kenny Burrell Trio - Good, until he tried to play acoustic guitar.

Mundell Lowe Trio- Well, I wasn't expecting much <_< , but at least Bob Cooper sounded good.

Charles McPherson Quartet w/ Kenny Barron sitting in on one tune.- CM sounded like he was having an off night.

Anita O'Day- I never cared for her anyway, but she sounded like Phyllis Diller on quaaludes :party:

A search here turned up nothing- does anyone remember this great series?

Were there any other artists I didn't mention?

Off the top of my head, I remember...

a Barney Kessel performance, and also (I think separate) show where he was teamed with Herb Ellis.

James Moody (quartet, I think)

Hank Jones?

I know some of these can be found on Youtube (maybe most of them)

Guitarist Peter Sprague was another, if memory serves.

Edited by Jim R

Off the top of my head, I remember...

a Barney Kessel performance, and also (I think separate) show where he was teamed with Herb Ellis.

James Moody (quartet, I think)

Hank Jones?

I know some of these can be found on Youtube (maybe most of them)

Guitarist Peter Sprague was another, if memory serves.

I forgot to mention the Hank Jones show, which was absolutely unbelievable! At the very top of his game. I did a search on it, and there were 37 shows altogether.

I was able to find the Joe Pass show on youtube.

I recall a Larry Vuckovich Group w/Tom Harrell and Charles McPherson, as well as a Art Farmer/Clifford Jordan Quintet.

I had altogether forgotten about the Vuckovich. I was going to mention Jordan, but forgot that it was as part of Art's quintet. That was a nice one.

Forgot about Joe Pass, too. I taped a lot of these shows, but I don't think I have many of those tapes anymore.

Was there a Jon Hendricks performance?