Jazz on Vanguard Records

Head Man

I recently came across this excellent album by Dave Burns on Vanguard Records (Warming Up!) which apparently has never been reissued on CD....why?

burns_dave~_warmingup_101b.jpg

Does anyone know what other jazz albums were released by Vanguard? I seem to remember owning one by Elvin Jones, way back when.

Edited by Head Man

You want to talk about which Vanguards exactly?

About those that the label became famous for among fans, i.e. those done in the 50s, including releases by Mel Powell, Vic Dickenson, Ruby Braff, Sir Charles Thompson, Urbie Green, and others? In short, "middle jazz".

Those shown in the initial posts above seem to point into another direction and era.

I've managed to locate this discography of Vanguard jazz & blues releases

Vanguard Discography

and I had no idea they'd released so many jazz albums. Why are so few of them available on CD, I wonder? I do have the "Ted Brown - Free Wheeling" but there are quite a few others on the list I would be interested in getting.

Edited by Head Man

Why are so few of them available on CD, I wonder?

The answer is at the bottom of the page - "Label established by Maynard and Seymour Solomon in New York, 1950. Bought by the Welk Music Group in 1986." :D

That remained the case in 2005, when Ace reissued the Pazant Brothers' LP in the UK.

MG

About those that the label became famous for among fans, i.e. those done in the 50s, including releases by Mel Powell, Vic Dickenson, Ruby Braff, Sir Charles Thompson, Urbie Green, and others? In short, "middle jazz".

Never heard it called "middle jazz". I always knew it as "mainstream". :rolleyes:

Never heard it called "middle jazz". I always knew it as "mainstream". :rolleyes:

Same thing. Synonymous. I just wanted to use a term that specifically coincided with the period when this music was recorded. Was in use in the UK too IIRC. Check out period copies of "Jazz Monthly" featuring Albert McCarthy's writings. ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

The Larry Coryell records on Vanguard are great. Some classic playing and some other kinda funny 'timepieces'.

Roland Prince is a very interesting and highly skillful guitarist with Calypso influences. I have/had his Vanguard Lp's and his sessions with Elvin Jones. I believe he relocated back to the Caribbean.

This is one of my favourite guitar recordings ever -

Those early Vanguards in mono (maroon label, silver print, 1955-63) and stereo (black label, silver print, 1958-63) have always been hard to find in any condition. Not because they're 'holy grails' but primarily due to channels of distribution beyond NYC.

Speaking for the Southeast, it's a rare thrill to find an LP by The Weavers.

BUT................not available for downloading in the UK, unfortunately.

Why are so few of them available on CD, I wonder?

The answer is at the bottom of the page - "Label established by Maynard and Seymour Solomon in New York, 1950. Bought by the Welk Music Group in 1986." :D

That remained the case in 2005, when Ace reissued the Pazant Brothers' LP in the UK.

MG

The Welk Music Group did reissue many of the Vanguard blues albums on CD, and were extremely good to order from. They communicated quickly and shipped quickly when I ordered Skip James CDs from them. While Lawrence Welk and Skip James had nothing in common, it did not seem to matter when I ordered.

Sadao Watanabe - Round Trip (recorded for Sony (Japan), leased by Vanguard)

Round+Trip.jpg

Q; What is the sound of a man being ripped apart and eaten alive on his own record date?

A: Charles Lloyd on that In The Soviet Union record?

Q: Well yeah, you might think that, but only until you've heard this one.

A: Really?

Q: Yeah, really.

A: How's that?

Q: Well, Lloyd and his band were only somewhat separated in terms of vision and ability, and besides, on that one, he sounded like he was just played out and the band wasn't, or if they were, not as much.

A: And on this one?

Q: On this one, it sounds like poor Sadao wanted to make a "free" record w/the hot-right-now NYC players (or somebody wanted him too), and they showed up to make THEIR music, not his

A: So it's kind of like those Eric Kloss sides?

Q: No, not even close. On those, the rhythm section was consciously respectful of doing their thing in the context of the leader's date. On this one, they really do not give a damn. Not for even half a second.

A; So they rip him up, eat him alive, and it's basically a Corea/Vitous/DeJohnette shredfest with Sadao Watanabe as nominal leader?

Q: Is that not essentially how we began this conversation?

A: Yea, I suppose it is.

Q: So how the hell do you think it ended up on Vangaurd?

A: I do not know:

Q: And I do?

Those early Vanguards in mono (maroon label, silver print, 1955-63) and stereo (black label, silver print, 1958-63) have always been hard to find in any condition. Not because they're 'holy grails' but primarily due to channels of distribution beyond NYC.

The only place I've ever seen the 'Dave Burns' on sale was in a record store in NYC. About $20 - but sadly it was beat up. :(

Both of the Burns have been out on reissue vinyl though during the 2000s.

Edited by sidewinder