Pete LaRoca Sims R.I.P.

david weiss

MI0000130858.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Very sorry to hear, though it was expected after the recent bad news.

Will play some of his music again later on.

always thought this a strange name for this album, sure it swings but that's not what his music was about. Although he lead only 2 BN sessions both are excellent.

He was a rare mix of adventurous and swinging playing, which made him an ideal drummer for someone like Joe Henderson. When I think of Pete LaRoca Sims, I think of his playing on 'Heavy Legs' from Johnny Coles' Little Johnny C. Right at the end of Joe Henderson's solo/beginning of Leo Wright's solo, LaRoca Sims unleashes a few seconds of barely contained fury that makes the tune for me. It's one of those brilliant, totally in-the-moment strokes that I look forward to hearing whenever I play that album. I remember reading an interview where he said that he had recorded a live album with his working group, but I don't think that he ever released it. RIP.

Not to be missed is the recorded-in-England Jazz Icons Art Farmer DVD with LaRoca, Jim Hall, and Steve Swallow, where you get to see LaRoca as well as hear him (everyone is in fine form). Only drawback, as a drummer friend pointed out, is that LaRoca is playing a rented set of drums, not his own kit.