Free jazz that is more serene than jarring

scoos_those_ blues

It strikes me that a lot of the most famous free jazz is rather frenetic, discordant and jarring to listen to. This is not a comment on the artistic merit of those recordings. Just an objective observation.

Can anyone recommend some free jazz that is serene or peaceful? Examples might include the Jimmy Giuffre 3 recordings which are obviously not "free jazz," or jazz of the sixties, but which are a step in the direction I am thinking of.

All suggestions are very welcome!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobby Naughton's music of the 1970s; Leo Smith - Kabell, Nessa, and ECM recordings; Marc Levin "The Dragon Suite" on Savoy; Masahiko Togashi "Spiritual Nature" & "Guild for Human Music" (it's been a while since I gave the latter a spin, but I remember it being very spare); Joe Giardullo's ensemble work, to name a few. Of course, just because something is spare or quiet doesn't mean it's not intense, powerful, and emotionally deep.

It strikes me that a lot of the most famous free jazz is rather frenetic, discordant and jarring to listen to. This is not a comment on the artistic merit of those recordings. Just an objective observation.

Can anyone recommend some free jazz that is serene or peaceful? Examples might include the Jimmy Giuffre 3 recordings which are obviously not "free jazz," or jazz of the sixties, but which are a step in the direction I am thinking of.

The Giuffre 3 with Hall may not be free jazz, but the one with Bley and Swallow is another story.

Anthony Braxton & Taylor Ho Bynym - Duets (Wesleyan) 2002

Ernst Reijseger - Tell Me Everything

Steve Lacy - Actuality

Joe McPhee/Paul Plimley/Lisle Ellis - Sweet Freedom, Now What?

Bill Dixon - Collection

Spontaneous Music Ensemble - Summer 1967

Amalgam - Prayer For Peace

Howard Riley - Short Stories

Julius Hemphill - Flat Out Jump Suite

Oliver Lake & Donal Fox - Boston Duets

Ran Blake - Vertigo

Your observation strikes me as very subjective.

I was going to say something about thinking immediately after being struck might not be the best time to think clearly, but I'm still trying to figure out what constitutes a vulgar Latin rhythm section...

As for the Giuffre/Bley/Swallow trio, yes to the first go-round, and yes to the later conjoinment:

Art Ensemble of Chicago - People In Sorrow.

I'll try to be helpful, although (like several others here) I think your premise is flawed.

The Art Ensemble of Chicago's People in Sorrow is one of the most moving and beautiful pieces of music you will ever hear.

e895277zjgw.jpg

This album - Radiance by the Susie Ibarra Trio, is just lovely. I was lucky enough to be in a record store in Athens, Georgia when they played this on the sound system. I bought it immediately.

The Giuffre/Bley/Swallow trio sounds great.

That was a very interesting band...they made a fair number of recordings, probably more in their "reunion" phase than they did back in the early 1960's, but some of it is getting hard to find. So if you find something that looks good to you, don't hesitate, if you know what I mean. You might come back and it's not there anymore. Been there, done that, trust me.

Another yes to People In Sorrow, btw. If you don't live in the US, you can find clips on YouTube. Otherwise...just trust us! :g

I remember Ornette Coleman's 'The shape of jazz to come' as being rather serene. But I flogged it in 1968. Been thinking of getting it again, though.

Fred Anderson is another whose music seems very serene to me, at least on the few I have of his, particularly 'Duets 2000',

Will try that AEC that Chuck recommended.

MG

Interesting thread ( I too am looking for, uh, a somewhat more "welcoming" kind of free jazz). Is "melodic free jazz" an oxymoron ?

It depends on how you hear melody and what you consider melodic.

Indeed. I don't know if the formal definition helps me identify it: "a linear succession of musical tones that the listener perceives as a single entity" (or "rhythmic succession of single tones organized as an aesthetic whole").

"Melodies often consist of one or more musical phrases or motifs, and are usually repeated throughout a song or piece in various forms" (I thought here of Don Cherry's "Complete Communion", where discernible melodies punctuate the compositions, as perhaps an example of "melodic free jazz". Plenty of Ornette also, of course.)

For me it may come down to the root of the word: "from Greek meloidia, "singing, chanting".

Edited by Simon8

Ok I concede that my observation was subjective.

Excellent recommendations so far - just what I am after. Will check these out, and certainly pick some up. The Giuffre/Bley/Swallow trio sounds great.

He has already been noted but if the above sounds good to you, go to Bobby Naughton's website and check out "The Haunt".

I would in fact recommend just about anything by Julius Hemphill: Raw Materials & Residuals, Dogon AD, Flat Out Jump Suite, Oakland Duets, Live, Blue Boye, Roi Boye & The New Gotham Minstrels, Buster Bee. Listening to Julius play is like being inside someone's head. A very introspective player.