A Louis Armstrong discographical gap - Wrap Your Troubles

jeffcrom

I'm pretty much a Louis Armstrong completist when it comes to his pre-war recordings. But I have an annoying gap in my collection, and need some advice about how to fill it.

The gap is "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams," recorded in three takes on November 4, 1931. After reissuing the Hot Fives and Sevens, Columbia started issuing the Okeh big band sides in their "complete" Armstrong series. But they seem to have stopped in 1993 with Volume 7: You're Driving Me Crazy, which ends with "Chinatown, My Chinatown," recorded on November 3.

Back in the day, I picked up the CBS/Portrait CD Stardust, which includes "Chinatown," but then skips straight to "Stardust" - no "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams." It goes on to finish out the Okeh big band sides.

I'm relunctant to shell out for the new Complete Columbia/Okeh & RCA box set because I've got everything else on it, and the sound seems to be no great shakes. So - is there an easy, one-disc solution for me to get "Wrap Your Troubles" (preferably all released takes) or should I go ahead, bite the bullet, and get the box set?

I used to suffer from the exact same one-track gap as you do. :) I first obtained the track on the JSP two-disc set "The Big Band Recordings." This was from back in the day when JSP was a legit company and employed R.T. Davies to do the remastering.

51EY05MMMDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I am sure that Amazon must have the track now on some collection as a 99 cent download.

According to Jos Willems' Armstrong discography,All of Me, there were only two issued takes of "Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams." The uncommon take--take 2--is available on the first Neatwork cd of Armstrong alternate takes (RP2020) as well as the Fremeaux series.

Thank you - I was wondering about that. The Lord discography lists three takes, but every other source just lists two, so I thought maybe Lord was wrong.

And thanks to all for your suggestions. After sleeping on it, I think that I'm going to go ahead and get the new box set, just to have all the Okeh big band sides in one place - and it's got both takes of "Wrap Your Troubles." And when I want to listen to the Hot Fives, I'll have a choice of three box sets to choose from! (How ridiculous is that?)

The mastering is rather flat and scrubbed but the worst part is that many are at the incorrect speed and pitch is off. When you're used to the later Columbia box set or the JSP or Fremeaux versions these just don't compare and many cuts don't sound right.

Later discs in the box set sound better and are speed correct.

Edited by jazzbo

The mastering is rather flat and scrubbed but the worst part is that many are at the incorrect speed and pitch is off. When you're used to the later Columbia box set or the JSP or Fremeaux versions these just don't compare and many cuts don't sound right.

Later discs in the box set sound better and are speed correct.

Thanks for the report. I've got both the JSP box and the "deluxe" Columbia set that came out a few years ago - the JSP is my standard go-to when I want to hear the Hot Fives and Sevens. I'll just be happy to get all the Okeh big bands in one place, finally.